Sore hands from dredging?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering.....
I spent all last week dredging. Now my hands are just killing me. So I'm wondering if that's normal? I didn't do much all winter last week was my first real spell of heavy activity since last fall. None the less I was a mechanic for 20+ years and I have always had pretty strong hands. I am 43 now. So I'm wondering, Am I just getting old or is it possible there is some aspect to the water that could maybe cause the pain in my knuckles? The water is real cold and of course I was continuously throwing handfuls of 2.5" + rock for 6-8 hours at a time for 5 days strait. Maybe it's normal to have sore hands? After all my entire body was sore after the first 3 days. After all it's work moving a yard of rock and gravel a day every day for a week.

Anyway I been thinking all these things and I just figured I'd ask if other people had had a problem with that or if it's unusual? Am I just getting old? lol

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Arthritis and cold water do not go well together. Yeah arthritis. My doctor says everyone over 35 has it. You'll be alright. just stop aggravating it. Now, show us the gold.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dredger hands,,,, ,yep that's normal if you are doing it right!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double gloves, white cotton gloves inside helps but the first month of dredge season always puts you in the hurting place-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it gets better the more you do it
Typically soreness is from a new type of movement. If it isn't causing damage your just getting used to it.

Stretch and warm up no matter how small the muscle group.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I usually take Ibuprofen for a couple days to help the soreness and swelling.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep if you don't hurt you're not doing it right! I deal with the same stuff dredging I'm 14 yrs older and also a retired autobody guy.

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double gloves, white cotton gloves inside helps but the first month of dredge season always puts you in the hurting place-John

cotton and cold water dont mix, uh i though most outdoors men knew that- cotton inside of gloves , thats just making you hands loose heat, dont listen to that guy- get some kevlar tipped diving gloves 3-6mm and you will not get cold.

dredging with cotton gloves is like seeing a nor cal surfer with cotton gloves, a stupid idea no one would recommend, most snow run off is colder than the ocean- cotton gloves? thats just not going to keep you warm and it will make your hands worse. I dont know any sane person that would do that for hours in cold water and not protect your hands with wetsuit type thermal protection. maybe he uses cotton socks too, I will stick to hardcore diving booties with tred on the bottom.

work smarter- and dont wear cotton in cold water and expect it to protect vital extremities, expect hypothermia and aggravated arthritis

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like neoprene socks and wading boots better than the diving booties.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're talking about John being wrong, so I have to disagree. Besides, the OP never said anything about dredging in cold water.

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're talking about John being wrong, so I have to disagree. Besides, the OP never said anything about dredging in cold water.

You meatball, read the Op, he said the water was cold, real cold.
John is wrong to advise him to wear cotton in cold water, fact buddy, cotton also absorbed 27 times it weight in water and wicks heat away from body. That is why outdoorsman wear wool or synthstics, not cotton. There is a saying amongst outdoorsman, cotton kills

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrote Gold, stop the insults or lose the right to post for awhile....

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that work and perspiration might be deleting magnesium levels in the body. Tums is magnesium and calcium and won't hurt you a bit. If you ever scuba dive and get a calf cramp, it is horrible and painful. Just a sign of magnesium depletion. If the hands don't get better soon, try a silk glove liner. I know here in the Colorado winters a silk shirt next to the skin is a huge force multiplier to staying warm. I just buy any old ugly silk shirt at the thrift store and wear it under my wool sweater, goretex , parka etc. Not sure if silk gloves as liners would work for you, but it is probably worth a try.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the OP....I was a mechanic and bodyman at a second job and weekends since High School. Also worked concrete for years during the day. I've really slowed down the past few years. I've really abused my body in the past. Have to use it up before we get old right?

And yes! It's normal! My hands can't handle the cold like they use to, from using the air compressors all those years. They would get so cold in the winter our air tools would freeze up.

I've recently started doing stuff again (manual labor) and I thought I was going to die the first week!! Haha...Hands,back, knees, etc...It all works out with a little time. I'm close to the same age as you....It's just the time of life were stuff hurts. :laughing7: Just have to plug forward...It will either break or go away!:laughing7:

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was not banned under another name....... why are you here saying things that are not true? thats the second time you have been wrong on this thread!

Excuse me, I wasn't speaking to you. But since you wish to continue this discussion, you were correct. He did say cold water. My concern, which has already been addresses, is your responses to others. John made a statement and instead of you just giving your opinion, you attacked him. What has he done to you? I then make a response and you call me a name. You must not do well playing with others, oh well, that's just the way it is. In a forum there has to be a certain element of decorum. To attack others will get you nowhere fast, except being blocked and having only conversations with yourself. I'll choose blocking you. You try to have a good day!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was not banned under another name....... why are you here saying things that are not true? thats the second time you have been wrong on this thread!

Excuse me, I wasn't speaking to you. But since you wish to consider this discussion, you were correct. He did say cold water. My concern, which has already been addressed, is your responses to others. John made a statement and instead of you just giving your opinion, you attacked him. What has he done to you? I then make a response and you call me a name. You must not do well playing with others, oh well, that's just the way it is. In a forum there has to be a certain element of decorum. To attack others will get you nowhere fast, except being blocked and having only conversations with yourself. I'll choose blocking you. You try to have a good day!

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me, I wasn't speaking to you. But since you wish to consider this discussion, you were correct. He did say cold water. My concern, which has already been addressed, is your responses to others. John made a statement and instead of you just giving your opinion, you attacked him. What has he done to you? I then make a response and you call me a name. You must not do well playing with others, oh well, that's just the way it is. In a forum there has to be a certain element of decorum. To attack others will get you nowhere fast, except being blocked and having only conversations with yourself. I'll choose blocking you. You try to have a good day!

do yourself a favor and google cotton clothes and water, find me one link that recommends it besides your best friend. Dont take my word for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread