spa pumps??

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the guy on ebay that is selling dredge pumps and watched his videos. Looks like he is using spa pumps hooked to a 79cc engine for dredging. There is not much performance data on spa pumps but it appears he is making them work quite well and seems to be getting good reviews for them. Even if they wear quickly at 30 buck for replacement impellers seems like a pretty viable alternative to much higher priced Keene or Jobe pumps. One can get a 325 GPM wet end for around 70 bucks and couple it to a harbor freight engine with a simple adapter plate.

Does anyone here have first hand experience using the backwoods pump set up?

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using mis-matched parts in the field will usually be a PITA. Do yourself a favor bite the bullet just buy a pump. Dependability in the field is a big thing it will crap on you when you need it most. If you're feeding your high-banker a Harbor Freight pump will be more than sufficient I've been running my 2'' clear water pump for 4yrs never a problem.

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several "real" pumps already. Was just intrigued by the pump he is selling and the video of what it will put out with that little 79cc engine. Was just an idea to tinker around with along with a dry land nozzle build.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone here wants a spa pump to play with, I have two I'll sell or trade.. Recently pulled out a good sized spa and saved the motors with pumps. Trade for?

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone here wants a spa pump to play with, I have two I'll sell or trade.. Recently pulled out a good sized spa and saved the motors with pumps. Trade for?

I would say it depends on the pump. inlet and outlet size and is it a frame 48 or frame 56 motor. What is the shaft diameter on it. I can get the 4 hp wet end that uses the 5/8" shaft to mate up to the gas engine for 50-70 bucks depending on where I order from... Cripes, come to think of it, I have a parts tub sitting at the house I may be able to rob the pump off of.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several "real" pumps already. Was just intrigued by the pump he is selling and the video of what it will put out with that little 79cc engine. Was just an idea to tinker around with along with a dry land nozzle build.

I just built a 3'' nozzle Just remember to put a jet in it for pressure Reed Lukens has an excellent thread on building a nozzle. 0704171344a.jpg 0607170800.jpg

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say it depends on the pump. inlet and outlet size and is it a frame 48 or frame 56 motor. What is the shaft diameter on it. I can get the 4 hp wet end that uses the 5/8" shaft to mate up to the gas engine for 50-70 bucks depending on where I order from... Cripes, come to think of it, I have a parts tub sitting at the house I may be able to rob the pump off of.

Haven't pulled 'em off the motors so don't know the shaft size. Let me know if they're something any of you might want to play with..

IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG

Happy to swap the pumps for interesting metal detecting stuff.. Good pinpointer, good headphones, Tesoro stuff..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread