Best pump/recirculating pump for a 10" wide highbanker

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone!

I'm pretty new to prospecting, so I have a few questions for you all. I'm building an aluminum highbanker (4' x 10"). I have most of the static parts measured and assembled, but I need a little direction when adding the appropriate pump and spray bar setup. I've found building this thing pretty exciting but now I need your help. What size pump do you recommend for this application? Should I use a battery/bilge pump set up or buy something more serious? I'd like to run this thing at home and in the field. I've been trying to navigate this site for information about proper water flow rates and hose sizes, but I've run into the problem of not finding enough specifics. Please help me get this thing running so I can save my back the trouble of spending hours panning!

Thanks for the help!

Z

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are in an area that is ok for gas powered pumps I would highly recommend that route. I used to set up mine at home as well but ended up building a 6' x 6" sluice for at home that is always ready to go. On the plumbing end I don't recommend going smaller than 1 1/2".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks N-Lionberger,

Gas is an option in some areas, so I'll probably make that investment. How many GPH do I need to run in order to properly utilize a highbanker of this size?

And I like the idea of a second smaller home sluice. So thanks for that, probably a really good idea. As soon as I started putting this thing together it got big fast! a smaller sluice and recirculating pump will definitely be better for at home use.

Z

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.amazon.com/Generac-6821...d=1501885871&sr=8-1&keywords=generac+1.5+pump

Lots of good reviews on this pump for running a highbanker.

200gpm High Pressure dredge motor pump 26lbs Free shipping in the lower 48 | eBay

This one has some pretty good reviews as well. I like the looks of it due to the weight but it looks like it uses a Spa pump so I am thinking you may be changing impellers more often. They are 30 bucks.

I have a couple spa pumps at home I am going to mess with and see how they do next week.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mini is 10" X 36" about the same as the gold hog mini. Doc says he runs it with a 3750 GPH bilge pump. I have a Keene pump on mine and I run it at an idle with a ball valve shutting the water flow down to about 2/3 of what it will put out at an idle. I am sure you can get away with a cheap trash pump but they are heavier. With a 2" trash pump you will be running at an idle or just over that but you can pick one up for under 200 bucks.. I am looking for the lightest weight possible for mine so I can toss it in the plane and get into some remote / tight locations.

The first 1.5" pump I linked to is one of the ones that doc likes to run the mini with so it should work for you just fine, but then again, I guess a lot of that depends on the mats your using too.

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Akflyer,

What do you think about this pump??? I know it's a budget buy, but I'm curious to see what you think. I won't waste my time with it if it's not good. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!!!

I'm using 12" of deep V groove matting and 34" miners moss. I'm hoping to catch a lot of fines. None of my scouted locations are remote. Better yet, they look promising and are accessible by truck. I always wanted to fly, never got the chance to take lessons. Let's put it on the bucket list!

Z

2 in. 212cc Gasoline Engine Semi-Trash Water Pump - 158 GPM

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same size pump I use 158 gpm. Run at an idle with little head pressure. Or turn up if you have to pump up hill.

for a ten inch box with grizzly classified material the minimum is about 40 gpm. you will have to have decent grade on the sluice.

If you can use a bigger pump you can set your sluice pitch flatter which is better.

best option is always a honda with a p-90 pump. good volume, bomb proof motor and quiet. you can run a sluice or up to a 2.5 inch dredge with it.

But, it will cost you.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the 1" pump will do the trick. You need at least the 1.5". Since your working out of your truck, a 2" trash / semi trash pump will work fine, run at a lower RPM (quieter) and run longer on a tank of gas. Its nice to be able to throttle back, and if need be put a 2" ball valve on the OUTPUT side of the pump to choke the flow so you can dial in what works best for your box. It is not nice to have a pump too small that is running wide open and you wishing you had just a bit more water flow.

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks akflyer,

That's what I'm going to do then! Now to configure it all and get running! I'll post a pic when I'm finished and running.

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last question!

How important is having variable speed control on a water pump? Can I get away with only using a ball valve? Which is ideal?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will have a little control by tweaking the throttle but it is most effective having a ball valve on the highbanker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread