Kinda off topis BUT

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've been dredging for a few years now (2002) and highbacking /panning/metal detecting since 96-97 and I feel it! How does a person (like me) determine when to call it quits? The club I helped start years back folded and all of the people melted into the wood work! knees / ankles / back are shot and I have for a long time had a hard time getting up out of the water when dredging. Now getting up / down hills and worse yet getting my dredge out and back to camp. Well I solved 1 problem and sold my 4 inch and a year latter I bought another from a friend that was in the same situation as I am only to come to the conclusion that I goofed up getting it. Now I have a lowly 2 inch Keene dredge that I want to get out , only to still have the same problems as with the 4 inch dredges.......................HUMPH!! I cant get anyone to go out with me (I showered even!) I even said I would give them the gold and teach them how-2-dredge and got NO reply's............. I guess it's time to pull the plug and I HATE TO DO IT!!! Everything I did was in reference to dredging and I mean everything! My shop and trailer are loaded with tools / parts / equipment that I used to fix , build equipment . And now I must make the decision and I think it was already made for me! And I don't like it! BUT there again ,I had a great time and meet a LOT of great people , and that is my treasure that nobody can take away from me. I finally got around to cleaning up several 1/2 buckets of cons that I went threw real quick and put into the corner for someday to finish ,well that was yesterday and I was really surprised at what I found! It was about 1/4 OZ. and I though ,what am I going to do with this?? Well one of my best friends Birthday is coming up in Colorado this month. Mr. Hoser knows him very well also and I though I would mail it to him for his birthday for all the golden memories he gave us! BUT please don't let him know , I want it to be a surprise! When he retired from the Colorado Fire Department friends from all over the Country came out to Douglas Creek in the Medicine Bow Mountains to surprise him. We all went to dinner one night at the WY/CO Bar & Grill and we all gave him a Wild Turkey package that had a bunch of stuff in it and I slipped up behind him and said: Since we all couldn't make it to your retirement party ,we got you this!! I wont go into any details BUT it hit a monument in his life!!!!!!!!! It was great to have done this for a great guy ,and I hope this will be just as good! He sez that he's going to try to make it to dredge season in Wyoming next July 1 2018 IF he can physically make it and that his wife health is O.K. and I pray that I can make it as well! That week will probly be my last day in the water! And I'll most likely have a few to boot:occasion14:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a great time dredging,camping and messing around with ya Russ and those memories are golden. Slowed down much myself because of dredge ban(&^%$#@!) but having trouble, as you, finding anyone to go out and mine anymore. No pumps killed it-John

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm liking your post Russ, but I'm not liking what is happening to you.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Russ, move to Los Anchorage. You will be able to find someone who will be glad to use your equipment & keep the gold while you teach them the ropes!
Heck if you guys lived close I'd pack mule for both of you in trade for some of your experience!

Digger79

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2017
S.F. Bay Area
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad I'm not closer to you. I didn't see your request since I'm new to the forum. This is my first year getting into this hobby. I bought a claim on the Klamath here in California. I've read and researched about as much as I can. I have been trying to find someone to partner up with. As far as when it's time to call it quits? Only you know. It doesn't sound like you're ready yet to me. Take care.

Ron

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 fires and smoke up the wazoo there along with 100s+ constantly this year. NOT a good summer in the North Cal-John

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say keep at it as long as you can, the worst thing is to sit around not being active just like the old saying use it or lose it. Just don't over do it, we all slow down over time and some of us faster than others do to health issues we have no control over and I'm in the faster catagory sorry to say but I'm not done quite yet.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
:occasion14:Well my friend has gotten his Birthday package / card with the directions "not to open until your birthday" he got it and we talked over Skype about it and he said he wouldn't! I mailed it in a bubble wrap package from the U.S.P.O. and it turned out to be a little "lumpy package " so he probly figured out there's more to this than just a Birthday card like I said I was mailing him.:occasion14:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any other places you can play at? I am not old yet, but I am kind of lazy. I don't feel like packing in equipment if I have to hike more than 50 yards. If I can't take the plane, boat or side x side to it, I am probly not going to prospect it. I have been having a blast building the high bankers and dry land nozzles to play with. I don't mind shoveling dirt, I quite enjoy it but the dry land nozzle is way easier and faster when digging in big river cobble / sand and gravels. So far nothing but flood gold, but its been fun and my 4 yr old daughter loves getting out and finding "pirate treasure" with me.

As Vance stated, I would be a mule for you if you were closer just to get some knowledge from you!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. After many years of being a carpenter it caught up with my back and knees. A few months ago my med insurance started covering chiropractic visits. I got lucky (have seen chiro's in the past) with my new best buddy 'cause he approaches chiropratory a bit differently. He is a strong advocate of correcting lifting practices, etc along with adjustments. After all those years of "the way I lifted things" he has been teaching me HOW to properly lift. Now after practicing for several months and being able in my head to just say "I don't lift that stuff anymore" and also employ his lifting techniques I'm on the way to much better back abilities. It ain't to late. And one thing I noticed that those new exercises showed me right off how after ten squats "the proper" way my knees burned....showed me just how much I've been using my lower back instead of squating and using leg and knee muscles. Here's just a mini-tip....stand straight up about eight inches away from a wall. Now spread your feet, break your knees, put your arms straight out, palms down (kinda like a golfer approaches a golf shot) and push your butt into the wall with very little downward movement. Do this a dozen times several times a day. After it feels comfortable continue this first step and then proceed to add a downward squat. Feel those knee/leg muscles? If you do...GOOD. Now have a buddy help you up...just kidding. Do these squats ten at a time several times a day. And one thing else, while lifting and carrying that object arch your lower back inward (you should notice your belt buckle move forward) and push your chest out. I'll try to get back with a couple more tips but in the mean time push yourself away from your computer and try it, and this routine does not hamper your ability to hang onto that beer as you do it.
Get back and log in your results in a week or two and remember to lift in this manner even if you are just picking up the morning newspaper. NO MORE LIFTING WITH YOUR ARCHED LOWER BACK CURVING BACKWARDS!!!!!!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau, Suffering from old age and medical problems myself; I completely sympathize. There comes a time for all of us that we cannot do the grunt work anymore of moving a dredge or high-banker from the truck to the water. A friend of mine used a winch attached to the dredge and we helped push it up the bank as he winched in it. It seemed to work OK, but this past year he sold the dredge--still too much trouble. And as you noted, hard to get people to go with you.

The answer as to when--I don't know myself yet, but when the effort to get to the creek and shovel into a bazooka or Le Trap (let alone move a dredge) gets to be more than the enjoyment I get out of being on the water and finding a bit of gold, then I guess I will hang it up.

Getting old stinks--even without medical complications. :(

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is tough to accept. For sure old age changes things and takes much from us. If it is not our physical lacking, it is regulations that keep us down and out. Yep...tough one! I guess we have to change direction and keep ourselves doing something else we enjoy. There is no turning the clock back, and our battle becomes "staying alive". As my Dad always said; and now I know!...."getting old ain't for sissies."

I can recall many a time I saw the old worn out miners making their way down to meet for morning coffee......as I was heading out to actually "get the gold". I am a early morning coffee guy now...and many of my mining partners are in the same boat!

Bejay

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ I am willing to let you play on my claim. The kicker is its in the nice dry air of Arizona. It beautiful in late winter and early spring when the creek runs. You can get 2wd to the claim and take your atv right to the creek and dredge. If your interested pm me and I will give you more info. This is a no strings attached offer with the exception of a liability agreement that Hoser shared a while back and anything you find is yours.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thank you for the more than generous offer , BUT I've got toooo many Doctor's appointments to go through this Winter to be able to take you up on your great offer!

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad man, if you were local I would totally join in! The best way to learn is to tag along and help someone out!

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the more than generous offer , BUT I've got toooo many Doctor's appointments to go through this Winter to be able to take you up on your great offer!

Offer stands if you get the itch I can take you in Oklahoma also just not as much gold here but I will bust you a big hole to work with your 2 1/2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread