Pump fuel?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if Coleman white gas can be run in gasoline pumps?

I've heard that it's high grade and without additives or colorant, so I think it should be fine. I know it would be expensive, but running it would cut down on fuel types I'd have to pack. That way, I could run the pump and fuel the cook stove and heater with the same fuel.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naphtha (White gas) is extremely flammable. The result could be explosively deadly.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the late 40's or early 50's, I can distinctly remember occasionally being being sent to the corner gas station to get "white gas" to fuel my dad's lawn mower. Whether that was naphtha as is the coleman fuel of today I don't have a clue. Modern engines probably rely on the additives in today's fuel to insure proper lubrication of cylinder walls though and naphtha is a solvent that may scrub the cylinder walls.

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go buy another pump for a spare. Back in the day yes you could run white gas from the station in Coleman products. But to run it as a fuel in your pump it will kill it.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know if Coleman white gas can be run in gasoline pumps?

I've heard that it's high grade and without additives or colorant, so I think it should be fine. I know it would be expensive, but running it would cut down on fuel types I'd have to pack. That way, I could run the pump and fuel the cook stove and heater with the same fuel.

Would take someone with a little knowledge and some Carburetor modifications you could convert your pump to run Propane.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would take someone with a little knowledge and some Carburetor modifications you could convert your pump to run Propane.

Propane would be a little hard to fly in, as everything has to be airmobile where I'm looking at going. Can't fly propane cylinders. So no propane stove/pump.

I've got the older Coleman stove, but I think some of the new ones are dual fuel, and might burn gasoline as well. I know I can fly the Coleman fuel, but I don't know yet on jerrycans of gas. (military we did)

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Propane would be a little hard to fly in, as everything has to be airmobile where I'm looking at going. Can't fly propane cylinders. So no propane stove/pump.

I've got the older Coleman stove, but I think some of the new ones are dual fuel, and might burn gasoline as well. I know I can fly the Coleman fuel, but I don't know yet on jerrycans of gas. (military we did)

are you flying in on floats or wheels? lots of times carriers don't have an issue putting gas cans in the float lockers. Sometimes they do if they are putting it in the cabin with passengers on board. If its a buddy flying you in then hauling in 5 gallon can of gas shouldn't be an issue, I haul them all the time, there are not any regs against it just company policy sometimes.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is going in by helicopter and A22 slingload cargo bags.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun adventure!

Should be! My friend's brother sent him a pic of 15 ozt in a pan that was 2 1/2 hours of simple panning. Nothing looked smaller than 16 mesh. And from what it sounds like, he's up on the stream I'm looking to prospect. And there's no claims or roads there....Yet!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mega luck to you sir. Find a 15 pounder. I for one know that you can't use gasoline for a stove unless it has a cintilator. it will stink and make everything taste bad. Quite hazardous. I d rather cook on a camp fire

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was military, it wouldn't be a problem in the sling load. But in civilian life, the FAA and DOT are in charge. And you know how government loves to help!

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can sling all the drums barrels or cans of gas you want to.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it will run but it will run like sh*t. when I was young I ran out of gas about 5 miles outside of town. I had no gas but a gallon of Coleman fuel, dumped it in and ran it. no power and pinged like hell but got me to a gas station. I think it would be better to get the newer dual fuel stove and lanterns that can run off of unleaded. highdesertranger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread