2 inch champion water pump

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just got my first highbanker. A gold raptor from gold hog. I bought the pump that they recommend to go with it and I must not know anything about pumps because I couldn't get the dam thing to suction any water. I primed the dam thing, started it up but hardly any water would come out even on full rpm. What could be the dam issue?[emoji35]

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would guess an air leak on the suction side of the pump hose intake connection. Also make sure you use a foot valve at the intake end of the suction hose and fill the hose with water 1st or it won't hold a prime.

OP
OP

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that you had to fill the intake hose with water also. Thanks for the info.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Mike, hoses, air leak, check the body of the pump for like folds in gaskets and the prime hole gets sealed.
use a short intake hose, I've had some where they had to be primed twice but then held it the rest of the day.

If its not pumping water its not primed, you should be able to see water work its way up the intake hose.
if its just problems getting and keeping a prime might try a flapper type foot valve,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NPT-FOOT...319396?hash=item2e94d281e4:g:A0IAAOSw9NxTxuo5

if you've looked at everything and it still doesn't work take it back get another one, sometimes you just get a lemon.

Last edited:
OP
OP

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got it to pump. I just had to fill up the intake hose with water also. My plan is to make the intake hose shorter so that it would be faster to fill. Thank you both for your input.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just fill it with water before you put it on because you will need the longer intake hose in a number of places. You can also fill the pressure hose a lot before putting it on, then lift it to let the water run back to prime the pump and intake. We actually put a 2" tee at the highbanker and just pour a bucket or 2 into it to fill the water line at least half way at times.

OP
OP

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to the creek today and that dam pump didn't want to pump again. I primed the pump, filled the intake hose and filled the pressure hose and it still didn't work. The only thing that comes to mind is that the spot that I had it placed is about 2-3 feet above the water source that I was trying to pump from, would that be the problem of why it's not pumping?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what brand of pump, if it's the Champion 2" semi-trash that the Goldhog web site recommends, I think it only comes with a strainer
get a foot valve with a flapper so the water will stay in the hose, you can also plunge it up and down to fill it.
the pump itself has a flapper may be leaking, make sure the prime hole plug is not leaking, check fittings and rubber washers on the hoses,
generally those type of pumps just work, could be something wrong with it.

Last edited:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to the creek today and that dam pump didn't want to pump again. I primed the pump, filled the intake hose and filled the pressure hose and it still didn't work. The only thing that comes to mind is that the spot that I had it placed is about 2-3 feet above the water source that I was trying to pump from, would that be the problem of why it's not pumping?

Its sucking air or you have a bunch of rocks in it. You did not try to run the pump without the screen on the end did you? Sometimes if you have the pump running wide open it will cavitate and not really get to pumping. Try slowing it down till it picks up the water and starts going full flow.

OP
OP

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen was on the whole time. And it was fully submerged, so it shouldn't of been sucking air. And I ran it on slow speed for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't pump.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try putting a wrap of duct tape around the intake fitting on pump then put hose on and clamp it. Sounds like you are pulling air at that spot. I had to do this with my proline hp400.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with the above. From experience I can say a small air leak on the intake fitting or pin hole in the hose will cause a headache since it won't pump much even when the hose is full. You can't always see the air bubbles in the hose, especially at the fitting connections on the pump. All fittings screwed into the pump housing needs to have teflon thread tape to seal that part and as mentioned make sure the rubber washer in the hose connection is soft and undamaged and that the connection is tight.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just got my first highbanker. A gold raptor from gold hog. I bought the pump that they recommend to go with it and I must not know anything about pumps because I couldn't get the dam thing to suction any water. I primed the dam thing, started it up but hardly any water would come out even on full rpm. What could be the dam issue?[emoji35][/QUOTE

I crack the filler spout a little until it starts pumping.
I’ve seen some crappy pumps where you have to slosh the intake hose up and down in the water to get it pumping. Basically pushing the water over the hump.
I use a Honda 3” that is sitting about 10 feet higher than the intake and just dump a gallon in and it usually starts pumping in a minute or so. It will pump the air out of the hose.

Sometimes helps to run it 1/4 throttle- not wide open until it starts to pump.

Also the saying about getting what you pay for is mostly true.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My pumps often need a slosh or two of the hose to get them primed, I wouldn't call Keene and Gold Diver pumps crappy lol.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To 775Gold, I’m sure you will get the bugs worked out. Unfortunately some of the entry level pumps are known for quality control issues.
However, when they work, they are a GREAT value.

I have a $180 Harbor freight pump as well as a Honda.
The HF works great but this is the second one.
First one pumped water into the crank case.
Bought the Honda used for $350. Been working flawlessly at full throttle for the last few years.

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have one on a old small 3" floater , i used a 2" proline footvalve on the intake. i fill the intake hose with water before hooking it up , then fill the water pump housing and it always primes right away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread