Vortex vs vmat

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i was looking around the industrial supply store near me and was pleasanly suprised they had a whole bunch of vortex mat (rough top conveyor belt) cheap so i couldnt resist. So currently my 4" dredge has an over under design with riffles over moss over deep v mat on top section and 3/4 expanded metal over deep v on bottom. I was thinking of either replacing the bottom vmat with the vortex entirely in the bottom or put a small high grade section in the upper section near the flair. The vortex mat works fantastic in my gold cube, but thats with substantially less water flow. Anyone use this setup or made a comparison between the two for use in dredges?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Water flows slower on the bottom than on the surface. Vortex, especially in a cube, is for fine particle gold from minus 1/8" feed. Feed from a dredge will be larger so using it under expanded metal may make the expanded metal dependent for larger gold capture since there is very little depth in vortex. Bout all I know or can speculate.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think for now in going to use both. Just a short section underneith my 1/4 screen to the lower. And mount it on an alum sheet as a high grade cleanup. Time to do some experiments ha!

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some small ribbed mat in the beginning of my dredge sluice as an indicator mat. When i came across some vortex mat i used it in place of my ribbed mat. It seems like it catches more gold but i cant see the gold that it catches, so it doesnt make a good indicator mat.

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya here in ohio i cant see it either till its in the gold pan.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I also have the Vortex mat , the Veranda mat , and the Gold Hog mats cut for my (currently) 2 inch dredge BUT haven't had the opportunity to get it out to try a comparison test. I'm going to try dredging again this Summer after a 4 year hiatus because I'm a old F.O.G. and in need of constant repair !:tongue3::occasion14:

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been keeping an eye out for the unbacked veranda. Know where i can pick a piece up?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+1 on the veranda carpet the stuff really grips the gold in a unique way, I have seen it sold at Lowes and at Costco. It's sold as an outdoor carpet for outside campers and is cheap.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
OR just go to a carpet store and ask them if they can order you some that is unbacked. I got my first chunk of it from Mr. Hoser his self! And I bought some more from a guy in Colorado. NICE STUFF!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no reason to put vortex under anything....if you do it isn't vortexing.

I would try it under riffles or expanded it likes fast water

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A gentlemen in our local club now uses Vortex under his Keene riffles on his A52. He says it works VERY well and since it doesnt hold onto unwanted material, hes left with mostly lots of black sands and super fine gold that just gets burried. I put MY riffles back into my A52 with some Vortex under it, and I'm not sure if he did something else, because even with the riffles clamped down there is still the TINIEST of gaps where the vortex matting is cut. I'm sure it wont effect the scouring as the gaps are so small.. I'll have to play with it after this Atmospheric River Event passes over CA ;)

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My fine gold setup.... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362194.896713.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362227.366830.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362271.564635.jpg

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
A gentlemen in our local club now uses Vortex under his Keene riffles on his A52. He says it works VERY well and since it doesnt hold onto unwanted material, hes left with mostly lots of black sands and super fine gold that just gets burried. I put MY riffles back into my A52 with some Vortex under it, and I'm not sure if he did something else, because even with the riffles clamped down there is still the TINIEST of gaps where the vortex matting is cut. I'm sure it wont effect the scouring as the gaps are so small.. I'll have to play with it after this Atmospheric River Event passes over CA ;)

Did you cut it the right way? LOL! I stand by my statement. FYI, tree removal this weekend @ Moore. Get your butt up there and help. The moore help we get the quicker we can get to mining.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the vortex in my 2 1/2 Keene for several years, nothing else. I get more gold than ever and the smallest gold catches in it like crazy! Who needs moss and carpet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread