Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Vortex vs vmat

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2014
    32 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Vortex vs vmat

Well i was looking around the industrial supply store near me and was pleasanly suprised they had a whole bunch of vortex mat (rough top conveyor belt) cheap so i couldnt resist. So currently my 4" dredge has an over under design with riffles over moss over deep v mat on top section and 3/4 expanded metal over deep v on bottom. I was thinking of either replacing the bottom vmat with the vortex entirely in the bottom or put a small high grade section in the upper section near the flair. The vortex mat works fantastic in my gold cube, but thats with substantially less water flow. Anyone use this setup or made a comparison between the two for use in dredges?

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2440 times
    Prospecting
    Water flows slower on the bottom than on the surface. Vortex, especially in a cube, is for fine particle gold from minus 1/8" feed. Feed from a dredge will be larger so using it under expanded metal may make the expanded metal dependent for larger gold capture since there is very little depth in vortex. Bout all I know or can speculate.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Apr 04, 2018 at 06:00 PM.
    russau, RichieRich and blichney like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

May 2014
    32 times
    I think for now in going to use both. Just a short section underneith my 1/4 screen to the lower. And mount it on an alum sheet as a high grade cleanup. Time to do some experiments ha!
    russau likes this.

Feb 2016
    23 times
    I had some small ribbed mat in the beginning of my dredge sluice as an indicator mat. When i came across some vortex mat i used it in place of my ribbed mat. It seems like it catches more gold but i cant see the gold that it catches, so it doesnt make a good indicator mat.
    blichney and Goodyguy like this.

May 2014
    32 times
    Ya here in ohio i cant see it either till its in the gold pan.
    jsurddy likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4159 times
    I also have the Vortex mat , the Veranda mat , and the Gold Hog mats cut for my (currently) 2 inch dredge BUT haven't had the opportunity to get it out to try a comparison test. I'm going to try dredging again this Summer after a 4 year hiatus because I'm a old F.O.G. and in need of constant repair !

May 2014
    32 times
    Ive been keeping an eye out for the unbacked veranda. Know where i can pick a piece up?

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    458 times
    Prospecting
    +1 on the veranda carpet the stuff really grips the gold in a unique way, I have seen it sold at Lowes and at Costco. It's sold as an outdoor carpet for outside campers and is cheap.
    blichney likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4159 times
    OR just go to a carpet store and ask them if they can order you some that is unbacked. I got my first chunk of it from Mr. Hoser his self! And I bought some more from a guy in Colorado. NICE STUFF!
    blichney and Goodyguy like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    10321 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    no reason to put vortex under anything....if you do it isn't vortexing.

I would try it under riffles or expanded it likes fast water
    russau, nh.nugget, Hamfist and 4 others like this.

us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    216 times
    Prospecting
    A gentlemen in our local club now uses Vortex under his Keene riffles on his A52. He says it works VERY well and since it doesnt hold onto unwanted material, hes left with mostly lots of black sands and super fine gold that just gets burried. I put MY riffles back into my A52 with some Vortex under it, and I'm not sure if he did something else, because even with the riffles clamped down there is still the TINIEST of gaps where the vortex matting is cut. I'm sure it wont effect the scouring as the gaps are so small.. I'll have to play with it after this Atmospheric River Event passes over CA
    blichney and Goldwasher like this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4159 times
    OPPPPSSS! I forgot to say Shaw Carpet makes and sells this Veranda carpet.
    Hoser John and blichney like this.

se
    Nov 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    48 times
    Prospecting
    My fine gold setup....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362194.896713.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	728.5 KB 
ID:	1576110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362227.366830.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	933.6 KB 
ID:	1576111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523362271.564635.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	888.2 KB 
ID:	1576112
    N-Lionberger likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Motherlode, CA
    Gold Bug Pro
    926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineMiner View Post
    A gentlemen in our local club now uses Vortex under his Keene riffles on his A52. He says it works VERY well and since it doesnt hold onto unwanted material, hes left with mostly lots of black sands and super fine gold that just gets burried. I put MY riffles back into my A52 with some Vortex under it, and I'm not sure if he did something else, because even with the riffles clamped down there is still the TINIEST of gaps where the vortex matting is cut. I'm sure it wont effect the scouring as the gaps are so small.. I'll have to play with it after this Atmospheric River Event passes over CA
    Did you cut it the right way? LOL! I stand by my statement. FYI, tree removal this weekend @ Moore. Get your butt up there and help. The moore help we get the quicker we can get to mining.
    SunshineMiner and russau like this.

us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    216 times
    Prospecting
    I'm pretty sure I did! lol I'll bring it with me and show you what i've got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links