Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: California to Allow Suction Dredging in 2019?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2017
    Sacramento CA
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by chlsbrns View Post
    Nope not in California but locally it is close by. The pic is a FEW of the bars made from SOME of my share of last years gold obtained solely from fish oil, burlap and a grease table.
    I'll bite.

I'm not a stranger to dredging in Cali. I worked 4 placer claims from 1979 to 1985.

But, I admit, I am a stranger to "gold obtained solely from fish oil, burlap and a grease table."

I this a joke?

Thanks,
    James
    arizau likes this.

us
    Aug 2017
    Sacramento CA
    15 times
    Nope not in California but locally it is close by. The pic is a FEW of the bars made from SOME of my share of last years gold obtained solely from fish oil, burlap and a grease table.
    BTW, very nice cast bars!

Have you ever had them XRF scanned? It would be interesting to know their Au, Ag, Pt and Pd content.

Most of the larger pawn shops and larger scrap yards may have XRF capabilities. Either handheld or desktop.

Peace,
    James

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2526 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmetal View Post
    I'll bite.

I'm not a stranger to dredging in Cali. I worked 4 placer claims from 1979 to 1985.

But, I admit, I am a stranger to "gold obtained solely from fish oil, burlap and a grease table."

I this a joke?

Thanks,
    James
    Gold is oleophilic. It sticks to oil or grease. The controversy with fishoil and burlap is that a strip was soaked with fish oil, strung across a river and used to catch microscopic gold that was floating suspended with the silt load in the current. Many naysayers for the subject. You can catch up on the subject by searching the latter part of this thread. Found this gold dust in 3 minutes

You probably have some black sand concentrates containing 100 mesh or smaller gold. With that you can demo for yourself how gold sticks to grease. Thinly coat a shallow container or gold pan with vaseline or some other grease. Add black sand and water and gently swirl. Wash out the pan and examine the material that is still stuck to the grease. You will see some gold if the black sand had any to begin with.
    Last edited by arizau; Jun 08, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
    russau likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    650 times
    Mining, Detecting, diving, spearfishing, bow hunting, duck hunting, treasure hunting, real men!
    I'll bite.

I this a joke?

Thanks,
    James
    It's not a joke. I'm not going to get into it here again there are a few who do nothing but disrupt when they could easily try it instead. Try it in a frying pan. Put a very thin coat of crisco on the pan, put water in the pan, put black sands or classified cons in the water, stratify by swirling and shaking the pan, dump the cons! Any gold will stick to the crisco. To get the gold heat up the water with a few drops of dish soap, stir it until the crisco dissolves and pour it thru a coffee filter. You can do the same with a miller table type of setup.
    Last edited by chlsbrns; Jun 08, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
    russau likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    650 times
    Mining, Detecting, diving, spearfishing, bow hunting, duck hunting, treasure hunting, real men!
    BTW, very nice cast bars!

Have you ever had them XRF scanned? It would be interesting to know their Au, Ag, Pt and Pd content.

Most of the larger pawn shops and larger scrap yards may have XRF capabilities. Either handheld or desktop.

Peace,
    James
    We haven't scanned any bars but we do smelt to remove base metals, silver copper, ECT then we recover the silver from the the slag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180215_141431.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	449.5 KB 
ID:	1599673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180201_183955.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	1599674  
    russau, T.C., Reed Lukens and 1 others like this.

us
    Aug 2017
    Sacramento CA
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Gold is oleophilic. It sticks to oil or grease. The controversy with fishoil and burlap is that a strip was soaked with fish oil, strung across a river and used to catch microscopic gold that was floating suspended with the silt load in the current. Many naysayers for the subject. You can catch up on the subject by searching the latter part of this thread. Found this gold dust in 3 minutes

You probably have some black sand concentrates containing 100 mesh or smaller gold. With that you can demo for yourself how gold sticks to grease. Thinly coat a shallow container or gold pan with vaseline or some other grease. Add black sand and water and gently swirl. Wash out the pan and examine the material that is still stuck to the grease. You will see some gold if the black sand had any to begin with.
    This is too cool!

I built a Miller type cons table and ran all my cons over it in the winter. Black slate paint on the front run - 6" riffle section - 18" x 24" copper plate with a very heavy nickel then silver plating - coated plate with mercury (yes I knew/know how to handle) - 6" riffle section to catch any pregnant mercury - final discharge into a cons collection box that was suspended in the water stream - water catch basin - recirculate.

The plate would load up with micro/super fine gold. I scraped the amalgam into a wet chamois then processed the ball in a cast iron mercury retort.

Today, I do not recommend this process due to safety issues. But. I'm still alive and kicking!

Peace.
    James

us
    Aug 2017
    Sacramento CA
    15 times
    It's not a joke. I'm not going to get into it here again there are a few who do nothing but disrupt when they could easily try it instead. Try it in a frying pan. Put a very thin coat of crisco on the pan, put water in the pan, put black sands or classified cons in the water, stratify by swirling and shaking the pan, dump the cons! Any gold will stick to the crisco. To get the gold heat up the water with a few drops of dish soap, stir it until the crisco dissolves and pour it thru a coffee filter. You can do the same with a miller table type of setup.
    Ditto . . . as above answer to arizau.

Certainly safer than Hg!

Peace,
    James
    russau likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    650 times
    It also helps to soak your black sands in peroxide aka Sodium percarbonate aka oxiclean to remove any sulfide and manganese dioxide coating on the gold. Both or either coating will stop the gold from sticking to the grease. They also stop gold from sticking to mercury.

You probably heard numerous times about people dumping hot black sands into water to release gold from black sands. Its a perpetual myth! Gold is not trapped in black sands but can contain a black sulfide or manganese dioxide coating. The heat itself burns off the sulfide coating.
    Last edited by chlsbrns; Jun 08, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

us
    Clunesdigger

Feb 2013
    Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
    A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI. 13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB. F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools ..
    66 times
    GOLD
    As I recall: you cannot have a motorized suction device within 100 feet, or was it yards of any body of water, stream lake or pond.
    Private land included , also,patented land.
    After about 2016 when they had re written the thing several times to cover our loopholes, they just seemed to have covered everything and I gave up looking for a way around it all,,,,,, but now have my hopes up again since Mr Poe has been so aggressive with them. Praise him. BV Magalia Ca
    Last edited by Brivic1; Jun 25, 2018 at 05:33 AM.

Feb 2016
    27 times

California to Allow Suction Dredging in 2019?

Anyone know if the ruling against SB50 might result in dredges being allowed in California again?
    Last edited by jsurddy; Nov 06, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    463 times
    Prospecting
    My good buddy no longer dredges for minerals....a loophole??/perhaps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	budbox.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	1650095

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    463 times
    Prospecting
    She did a lot of research first and found no case of a dog being taken to court over a mining violation:

Name:	doggonedredger.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	1650096

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoAu View Post
    She did a lot of research first and found no case of a dog being taken to court over a mining violation:

Name:	doggonedredger.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	1650096
    I love the picture of your dog.......... BUT he/she does look a little guilty of something...........maybe he/she ate your steak you were planning on dinner?
    wildminer and mendoAu like this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1222 times
    I built a grease table and fed it with miller table tailings. It caught 80% of what the miller table would loose. So it does work better than a miller table.
    russau likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    541 times
    Prospecting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links