California to Allow Suction Dredging in 2019?

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My good buddy no longer dredges for minerals....a loophole??/perhaps:

budbox.jpg

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
She did a lot of research first and found no case of a dog being taken to court over a mining violation:

doggonedredger.jpg

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built a grease table and fed it with miller table tailings. It caught 80% of what the miller table would loose. So it does work better than a miller table.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Disturbing murcury hot spots is exactly the activity that this ban is supposed to put an end to! I know you recover 99 percent or better and think you are helping. But, this is partly why dredging is not allowed at all right now! When/if we get back to work in CA, there will be a substantial effort to identify and CLOSE areas known as murcury "hot spots"
If I owned a claim that I wanted to dredge, I would NOT mention the mercury AT ALL TO ANYONE. This may be hard to grasp, but it is time to actually work with government agencies, for a solution to the supposed problems dredgers may cause. Not against them.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disturbing murcury hot spots is exactly the activity that this ban is supposed to put an end to! I know you recover 99 percent or better and think you are helping. But, this is partly why dredging is not allowed at all right now! When/if we get back to work in CA, there will be a substantial effort to identify and CLOSE areas known as murcury "hot spots"
If I owned a claim that I wanted to dredge, I would NOT mention the mercury AT ALL TO ANYONE. This may be hard to grasp, but it is time to actually work with government agencies, for a solution to the supposed problems dredgers may cause. Not against them.

Sorry but NO! The dredge ban is not because of mercury hot spots.

There have been no documented cases of dredges disturbing and therefore migrating a " mercury hot spot"

Every year nature does it however. Moving some making some bigger.

The "government" does not want to work with anyone.

In fact this is not happening because of the government.

People in the private sector make their living "fighting" resource users and fooling the public with terms like

"mercury hot spots"

They are working as hard as they can to create the myth that there is mercury everywhere.

That way they don't have to hunt down and "close" those pesky yet always hard to locate " hot spots"

They just close everything. They appreciate your help.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is what happens when a government is allowed to make law based on emotion instead of facts.
It's funny that they want to arrest dredgers and at the same time there are commercial airliners filling the skies with chemtrails to help the forests burn haha.
It's all about the children till its not!

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did some dredging in California this past winter without any problems but we were dredging for mercury. Mercury is not a mineral so we were not dredging as defined in the ban. We also opened up a tunnel for later exploration to protect our rights to the minerals.

Under new state law effective January 1, 2016, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment is defined to mean the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.

As stated we dredged in order to recover mercury

"damn, all we found was a bunch of gold"

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont see the issue if you can still dredge for mercury. Sounds like its figured out to me. Just gotta tell them what they want to hear sometimes.

There is no suction dredging allowed in California. Mercury is an element just the same as gold and they are both valuable minerals under the law. There is no exemption for mercury mining.

Somebody enjoys pulling legs. That was the tugging sensation you were feeling while you were reading the BS about dredging mercury in California. Just that simple. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That comes under the legal doctrine of " If it looks like a duck.."

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuttn' but a pipe dream of a bygone era now. RIP dredging :BangHead: sic sic sic illegal takings absolutely through tainted biology and mercury mania. John

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I shared with Clay a while back: Dredging for Mercury/Lead is an interesting concept that I felt warranted examination. The truth is in the words though. Since the general agreement is that mercury and lead are valuable minerals it still leaves hope that some effort could be expended to seek an EPA/Corp permita for the cleanup of "toxic minerals" from waterways. The "YouTube" vid "Dredging for Lead on the Umpqua River" can offer some justification for the need to erase that toxic item from our anadromous fish waterways. There is no doubt it has an adverse effect on endangered fisheries.

I have also expanded the conversation to create another "Good Ship Lollipop" non-profit organization (or foundation). Having done it in the past I can personally subscribe to the concept that the public is easily moved to support those things it seems are beneficial to the environment. Personally I believe the public would support the removal of TOXIC mercury and lead from the streams and waterways etc. It would be interesting to see how that might gain support and watch the anti dredging clan scamper to figure out a way to combat the new support for dredging.

Bejay

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The interesting thing about the State Ban in Oregon is that it was conceived to protect anadromous fish rivers/streams. So the ban in Oregon became valid on those bodies of water that had anadromous fish. It pretty much wiped out all the places where placer gold was found. Those very same bodies of water are primarily open to fishing for anadromous fish (ODFW) and thus would be the bodies of water that deserve the most dredging to remove the toxic lead/mercury. I would like the State Legislature to combat a "Good Ship Lollipop "foundation/organization/non-profit" once the public support mounted.

Bejay

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The "Oregon Waterways Fisheries Enhancement Foundation". Mission statement might be something like: "A non-profit foundation organized to rid rivers and streams in Oregon from toxic Lead left by sport fisherman and Toxic Mercury left by historical mining methods of the past".

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Oregon Waterways Fisheries Enhancement Foundation". Mission statement might be something like: "A non-profit foundation organized to rid rivers and streams in Oregon from toxic Lead left by sport fisherman and Toxic Mercury left by historical mining methods of the past". Bejay

In Oregon it might be possible to use a habitat restoration exemption, OAR 141-085-0534
an Organization would send this ; notice 30 days before starting (.docx format)
This Organization has just received its 501c3 status and could use some support
or if you would like to be involved, I could forward a PM to Karen
https://www.streamsavers.org/
or
Streamsavers on Facebook

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Oregon it might be possible to use a habitat restoration exemption, OAR 141-085-0534
an Organization would send this ; notice 30 days before starting
This Organization has just received its 501c3 status and could use some support or if you would like to be involved, I could forward a PM to Karen
https://www.streamsavers.org/

OK I would be interested in discussing the issue. The permit application shown in the link does not address toxic mineral removal. Such a discussion for the removal of lead and or mercury would address historical sights known to have significant deposits of toxic metals etc....or to be suspect of having such toxic issues. "Streamsavers" does portray/convey the "Good Ship Lollipop" concept. Oregon needs some counter measure tools in the Legislature to combat the anti crowd.

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I would be interested in discussing the issue. The permit application shown in the link does not address toxic mineral removal. Such a discussion for the removal of lead and or mercury would address historical sights known to have significant deposits of toxic metals etc....or to be suspect of having such toxic issues. "Streamsavers" does portray/convey the "Good Ship Lollipop" concept. Oregon needs some counter measure tools in the Legislature to combat the anti crowd.
Bejay

you might be right that DSL form is tied to this restoration guide https://digital.osl.state.or.us/islandora/object/osl:16552/datastream/OBJ/view
might be another agency form I was thinking about, but something like this is a possible way to show that miners are good stewards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread