Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Getting a piglet, cant decide on style of pump

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    330 times
    Prospecting

Getting a piglet, can't decide on style of pump

My wife and I have decided to step up to a mini highbanker and after doing my research, I have decided on a Gold Hog Piglet. What I can't decide on is battery or gas powered pump. I was able to test out the piglet belonging to a friend, but he had a standard deep cycle lead battery and I'm not carrying one of those ever again. I know that the Honda wx15 is highly regarded and no doubt will do the job for us, however we do like the idea of not listening to the engine running for hours, so I've been looking at lithium ion batteries. I've read a lot, but batteries still confuse me a bit. We know our physical limits are about four 30 minute digging shifts, so I need a max run time of about 2 hours.
    This is the battery I am looking at https://www.vmaxtanks.com/VPG12C-50L...ger_p_186.html. If I've done the calculations right (that's no guarantee) it would give us about 2.5 hours with the 3700 gph pump suggested by GH, drawing 16 amps.
    That battery plus pump about 16 pounds. (and about $75 more)
    WX15 plus a gallon of gas about 28 pounds.
    I feel we could deal with the lesser performance of the battery if it gives us 2 hours overall running time, and it would be lighter to pack in/out. I emailed the company and got no response.
    Any personal thoughts or suggestions besides the fact that the WX15 is better and would give us more performance? Any battery experts out there that can weigh in? I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with the gas pump, but saving any weight is a plus.
    Thanks,

Mike

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    463 times
    Prospecting
    I would recommend going with the gas driven pump, you can get a nice long length of lay flat hose to get away from the noise. Another thing that can be done is digging to stockpile material and once you get a satisfactory pile you set up the machine and run the material, even feed from a stockpile makes for better recovery than feeding as you dig.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1077 times
    Prospecting
    The wx15 is a great little pump and, it's quieter than you think.
    I pack mine with a full tank of fuel and take another quart with me. That lasts me about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs at full throttle. The other weight consideration is the intake hose adds a few lbs to the load.
    All being said, I feel the wx is a better choice for varying circumstances like, not being right next to the water supply. A bilge pump will lose a lot of flow with any increase of distance or elevation from source to discharge height.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    330 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah, the wx15 seems pretty quiet on youtube videos, but I'd sure like to hear one in person. A local store doesn't want to run it dry so that I can hear it. I hadn't really thought about it probably being a bit of a distance away from where we're actually digging. That might make a difference. Thanks for the input.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA
    407 times
    Prospecting
    There is like new wx15 for sale on a certain "for sale by owner website". $250 located in Ocean Shores. I'd jump on it. Pity I'm too far away to make it worth the time and gas. I'm thinking about the piglet as well.
    Gold4Mike likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Nokta FORS Gold+, Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Bazooka 36" Prospector, GGT Nugget Sluice, Bottom Feeder Hand Dredge
    788 times
    Prospecting
    No half measures...Go with WX15 or stay home
    Gold4Mike and N-Lionberger like this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    330 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    There is like new wx15 for sale on a certain "for sale by owner website". $250 located in Ocean Shores. I'd jump on it. Pity I'm too far away to make it worth the time and gas. I'm thinking about the piglet as well.
    Dang, just went ahead and got one here in Mount Vernon. That would have been worth the drive.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    330 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Underburden View Post
    No half measures...Go with WX15 or stay home
    Ha ha, I guess so!
    N-Lionberger and AUAlaska like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Nokta FORS Gold+, Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Bazooka 36" Prospector, GGT Nugget Sluice, Bottom Feeder Hand Dredge
    788 times
    Prospecting
    You would have kicked yourself for going with a 12 volt pump. Most of those will not hit their advertised gph ratings unless your piglet was within 10 level feet of the bilge pump . Glad to hear you went with the WX15...FULL MEASURES!
    Bob
    N-Lionberger and Gold4Mike like this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA
    407 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post
    Dang, just went ahead and got one here in Mount Vernon. That would have been worth the drive.
    You can still go pick it up for me!

us
    Mar 2013
    22 times
    Prospecting
    You made a good choice on the pump. That battery you linked to was only 50 amp hours. For the pump you were talking about you would need upwards of 80 amp hours for a two hour run. Over 100 amp hours would have been better. Way heavier route to go.
    Gold4Mike likes this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    330 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Placer View Post
    You made a good choice on the pump. That battery you linked to was only 50 amp hours. For the pump you were talking about you would need upwards of 80 amp hours for a two hour run. Over 100 amp hours would have been better. Way heavier route to go.
    That's the math I was needing! Wasn't sure if it was as simple as 15 amps goes into 50ah 3+ times = 3+ hours of run time. Glad I got the Honda.

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    463 times
    Prospecting
    play with it yet?

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    330 times
    Prospecting
    Just got it yesterday, planning on taking it out Sunday. I've gotten to go out with a buddy who has one so I am excited to use my own and not share the results, lol.
    winners58 likes this.

us
    Sep 2017
    Alaska
    Minelab Gold Monster 1000
    55 times
    Prospecting
    I Love my piglet! I mainly run it as a 2" dredge. I hope you find lots of gold!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	1605432

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1605433

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads