Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I have decided to step up to a mini highbanker and after doing my research, I have decided on a Gold Hog Piglet. What I can't decide on is battery or gas powered pump. I was able to test out the piglet belonging to a friend, but he had a standard deep cycle lead battery and I'm not carrying one of those ever again. I know that the Honda wx15 is highly regarded and no doubt will do the job for us, however we do like the idea of not listening to the engine running for hours, so I've been looking at lithium ion batteries. I've read a lot, but batteries still confuse me a bit. We know our physical limits are about four 30 minute digging shifts, so I need a max run time of about 2 hours.
This is the battery I am looking at https://www.vmaxtanks.com/VPG12C-50...e-Battery-Power-Generator-WCharger_p_186.html. If I've done the calculations right (that's no guarantee) it would give us about 2.5 hours with the 3700 gph pump suggested by GH, drawing 16 amps.
That battery plus pump about 16 pounds. (and about $75 more)
WX15 plus a gallon of gas about 28 pounds.
I feel we could deal with the lesser performance of the battery if it gives us 2 hours overall running time, and it would be lighter to pack in/out. I emailed the company and got no response.
Any personal thoughts or suggestions besides the fact that the WX15 is better and would give us more performance? Any battery experts out there that can weigh in? I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with the gas pump, but saving any weight is a plus.
Thanks,

Mike

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend going with the gas driven pump, you can get a nice long length of lay flat hose to get away from the noise. Another thing that can be done is digging to stockpile material and once you get a satisfactory pile you set up the machine and run the material, even feed from a stockpile makes for better recovery than feeding as you dig.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The wx15 is a great little pump and, it's quieter than you think.
I pack mine with a full tank of fuel and take another quart with me. That lasts me about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs at full throttle. The other weight consideration is the intake hose adds a few lbs to the load.
All being said, I feel the wx is a better choice for varying circumstances like, not being right next to the water supply. A bilge pump will lose a lot of flow with any increase of distance or elevation from source to discharge height.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, the wx15 seems pretty quiet on youtube videos, but I'd sure like to hear one in person. A local store doesn't want to run it dry so that I can hear it. I hadn't really thought about it probably being a bit of a distance away from where we're actually digging. That might make a difference. Thanks for the input.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is like new wx15 for sale on a certain "for sale by owner website". $250 located in Ocean Shores. I'd jump on it. Pity I'm too far away to make it worth the time and gas. I'm thinking about the piglet as well.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No half measures...Go with WX15 or stay home:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is like new wx15 for sale on a certain "for sale by owner website". $250 located in Ocean Shores. I'd jump on it. Pity I'm too far away to make it worth the time and gas. I'm thinking about the piglet as well.

Dang, just went ahead and got one here in Mount Vernon. That would have been worth the drive.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would have kicked yourself for going with a 12 volt pump. Most of those will not hit their advertised gph ratings unless your piglet was within 10 level feet of the bilge pump . Glad to hear you went with the WX15...FULL MEASURES!
Bob

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You made a good choice on the pump. That battery you linked to was only 50 amp hours. For the pump you were talking about you would need upwards of 80 amp hours for a two hour run. Over 100 amp hours would have been better. Way heavier route to go.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You made a good choice on the pump. That battery you linked to was only 50 amp hours. For the pump you were talking about you would need upwards of 80 amp hours for a two hour run. Over 100 amp hours would have been better. Way heavier route to go.

That's the math I was needing! Wasn't sure if it was as simple as 15 amps goes into 50ah 3+ times = 3+ hours of run time. Glad I got the Honda.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got it yesterday, planning on taking it out Sunday. I've gotten to go out with a buddy who has one so I am excited to use my own and not share the results, lol.

AUAlaska

Sep 24, 2017
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I Love my piglet! I mainly run it as a 2" dredge. I hope you find lots of gold!

pig1.jpg

pig2.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you've seen my other thread in the Gold Prospecting sub forum, you'll know that my wife and I have been able to run our new Piglet out at the river we frequent. A little more to carry in and set up/take down, but holy cow that thing is a beast! The worst part is that we have such a huge hole to fill back in when we are already beat from digging. Definitely appreciate the advice on the Honda pump. One tank of gas gives us more running time than our bodies can use up, lol. Looking forward to running it a lot this summer.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold4mike, superb response! Great feedback from a satisfied user/believer and great input to you from the group on Tnet. Yes hole refilling is tiring but it makes such a difference to those who look at your worksite after you've gone home, Good for You & Your Wife for the extra effort!............63bkpkr

PS - I've been in pristine river country only to find historical mining left-overs that sure Ugly the landscape. I pack out as much as I can.

Last edited:

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a fire nozzle for the end of your pressure hose. Tractor Supply Co sells them in 2" and 1.5"
2" Nozzle
1.5" Nozzle

If you put it on your high pressure line, it makes easy work of washing all of your tailings back in the hole at the end of the day. You can also use your power jet/jet log/suction nozzle if you take the suction hose off and use the water blast that comes out of them.... a little less effective but still works to a degree.

I like the fire nozzle because you can adjust the spray from a jet stream to more of a "broom" fanned out spray. When done right all you are left with is a small depression that is smoothed out and more in line with the natural contours of the stream. Way easier then a shovel and rake.... very little effort required, especially on those hot summer days. You would be surprised the size of rocks and small boulders you can force back in the hole with no effort needed other than holding the hose.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a fire nozzle for the end of your pressure hose. Tractor Supply Co sells them in 2" and 1.5"
2" Nozzle
1.5" Nozzle

If you put it on your high pressure line, it makes easy work of washing all of your tailings back in the hole at the end of the day. You can also use your power jet/jet log/suction nozzle if you take the suction hose off and use the water blast that comes out of them.... a little less effective but still works to a degree.

I like the fire nozzle because you can adjust the spray from a jet stream to more of a "broom" fanned out spray. When done right all you are left with is a small depression that is smoothed out and more in line with the natural contours of the stream. Way easier then a shovel and rake.... very little effort required, especially on those hot summer days. You would be surprised the size of rocks and small boulders you can force back in the hole with no effort needed other than holding the hose.

I would have never thought of that. What a great idea! I will be looking into a nozzle. Thanks!

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a great tool to have on hand. I have used it on my Harbor Freight 2" pump and then later on my Proline HP400. It's one purchase I definitely have never regretted.

I did get a brass nozzle too... didn't work as well as the adjustable spray Abbot style. Was this one Varco /-2in BRASS STRAIGHT NOZZLE NPSH

You only get a jet spray with that one... seems weaker then the jet spray you get with the Abbot and isn't as effective for the purpose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions