Air Manifold safety

logjam

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2010 I built an air manifold and water trap out of 2 inch aluminum pipe which is now at a remote location. I hesitate to use it due to corrosion, am unable to inspect the inside of it. I figure I'd break it before I get it apart. I can't get the pipe at my location but I can get schedule 80 plastic to construct a new one. should I be concerned about breathing through PVC pipe?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what you are trying to do, sounds like just a way to have dryer air

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

logjam

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gast PCA-10 on the compressed air side. Had it rigged for two dive hoses, pressure tank on top and water trap at bottom to drain condensation from compressed air. I figured the two inch diameter might give me another breath past what the pressure tank would.

I'm wondering about breathing fumes from the Polyvinyl Chloride itself and the glues and purple cleaners used in the gluing process. It seems like the fumes linger for quite a while after glueing and I dont know how the air under pressure would affect absorbing the plastic molecules and glues.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't use plastic at all on my air system because that would be the first thing to break or crack. There's no need for it at all, but if you must put one in then use stainless.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And if you build one , make it so that you can open it up to clean it out ! MOLD will grow in it if you don't clean it out periodically! And while your at it , clean the inside of the air lines and mask! Your lungs will love you for it!! I personally use a stainless steel "kornie keg" (syrup container)that I can open up to clean!

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the plastic reserve tanks made of? HDPE?

OP
OP
L

logjam

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't use plastic at all on my air system because that would be the first thing to break or crack. There's no need for it at all, but if you must put one in then use stainless.

I like the idea of not having a manifold.
Shoot I like the idea of not having to dive...
Running 24 hours a day with no divers is the only way i'm going to come out on the deal.

How are you getting the water out of your air without a water trap?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're already in the water, so you're going to get more water in naturally from the stream as you breathe. What little water comes from the compressor doesn't make it past the stainless reserve air tank. I use an old soda pop container that has a door on it and after a days diving there may be a tablespoon of water in it from the compressor. For the standard stainless tank, just tip it up and drain it when you shut down, not much comes out.

OP
OP
L

logjam

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen,
Thanks for getting back with your thoughts. I'll give it a whirl without anythng except a stainless tank.

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you build one , make it so that you can open it up to clean it out ! MOLD will grow in it if you don't clean it out periodically! And while your at it , clean the inside of the air lines and mask! Your lungs will love you for it!! I personally use a stainless steel "kornie keg" (syrup container)that I can open up to clean!

How do you have the in and out connections for the kornie keg setup?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On my soda keg I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a bulk head fitting and a T fitting.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Use the fittings for the Corny keg that are used on it. Be sure to take the inner tube out of the tank on both sides to ensure you get enough air. I got 2 of these tanks from a friend from Indy that worked for a soda company . He got them for free .They had at least 1000 tanks and were looking to get rid of them in favor of their new container. All gone now and I ended up hanging it up also due to my health!

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting discussion. PVC Water pipes are common and in major underground systems the green pvc is most common. I never heard of any adverse issues using pvc for air intakes. Keene has a pvc dredge air comp intake pipe to avoid exhaust fumes. The purple primer and glue is not a worry in fresh water systems for human consumption. The nice thing about the plastics is it does not corrode. I have two air reserve tanks for my dredges and one is aluminum and the other is a pvc type plastic.

Bejay

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my soda keg I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a bulk head fitting and a T fitting.

Thanks for the reply I have one on the way I'll try it out

I am running a gast 263 50 lb check release valve on one side
Do you go from compressor to direct to high temp hose into corny keg with a T one to pressure gauge and diver do you use a pressure release valve on the other side of the tank?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have a pressure gauge or additional pop valve, the soda keg actually has a pop valve on the lid, I'm not sure at what pressure it goes off. I was using it with a T80, this year I'm going to be running a gast pca 10.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My problem has never been condensation, just the opposite. Summertime the air is so dry that I have to use chapstick because of the dry air.

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a pressure gauge or additional pop valve, the soda keg actually has a pop valve on the lid, I'm not sure at what pressure it goes off. I was using it with a T80, this year I'm going to be running a gast pca 10.

Can you post a pic of your setup I will try and post what I have so far

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its all in pieces right now in the process of moving into a bigger place and everythings a jumble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread