Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By akflyer
  • 1 Post By mike(swWash)
  • 1 Post By Gold4Mike
  • 1 Post By Beav
  • 3 Post By akflyer
  • 1 Post By DW in ID

Thread: Any users opinions of the G. Hog PIGLET?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2018
    Meridian, Idaho
    Fisher GB-2, White's MXT, Garrett AT-Max.
    14 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Any users opinions of the G. Hog PIGLET?

Iíve worked with a friend using his G.H. Raptor and have access to it whenever wanted but I have never used or even seen (in person) the G.H. Piglet.

Since 99% of my prospecting has been and will be alone, I decided to buy the Piglet with a lower extension not knowing if Iíd need the extension but got it anyway in case.

Iíve had it for a week now and I have it setup on the floor of my shop but Iíve not had it in the water yet. I'm semi undecided if Iíll keep it so would like it to be unused if I should decide to pedal it.

I knew the Piglet was small but I guess I didnít realize just how tiny it actually is. Doc says he doesnít make toys so Iíll assume thatís true. The entire unit is just much tinier overall than Iíd envisioned.

Itíll probably work greatÖ!? Iíd like to get some actual hands on experience and opinions from others that actually use one if possible.

If I keep it, Iíd be using it with a high pressure pump so I could use it with a 2Ē suction/dredge nozzle from time to time.

Thanks for any opinionsÖ DW

Jun 2017
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DW in ID View Post
    I’ve worked with a friend using his G.H. Raptor and have access to it whenever wanted but I have never used or even seen (in person) the G.H. Piglet.

Since 99% of my prospecting has been and will be alone, I decided to buy the Piglet with a lower extension not knowing if I’d need the extension but got it anyway in case.

I’ve had it for a week now and I have it setup on the floor of my shop but I’ve not had it in the water yet. I'm semi undecided if I’ll keep it so would like it to be unused if I should decide to pedal it.

I knew the Piglet was small but I guess I didn’t realize just how tiny it actually is. Doc says he doesn’t make toys so I’ll assume that’s true. The entire unit is just much tinier overall than I’d envisioned.

It’ll probably work great…!? I’d like to get some actual hands on experience and opinions from others that actually use one if possible.

If I keep it, I’d be using it with a high pressure pump so I could use it with a 2” suction/dredge nozzle from time to time.

Thanks for any opinions… DW
    I have a home made "piglet" and a homemade "raptor" I tweaked a few things for my liking but for all practical purposes they are pretty much the same. I have run the piglet as a 2" dry land dredge and the raptor with a flare. I honestly have not seen any difference in capture rates. I have an extension for both of them and never used the one on the piglet as I ran multiple tests catching all the tailings and panning them and came up with only one or two specs in the tailings after running several yards through the piglet fast and hard.
    Its actually a pretty amazing unit for the size and is my go to for tossing in the plane and getting out to check out new remote areas. The Rappy is what I have been hauling around in the side x side but in all honesty, using it as a 2" is way overkill as the piglet handles the 2" just fine. I am going to play with the rappy clone as a 3" and 4" in the next few weeks and see what I think. I am pretty certain that with the extension, flare, and flare extension I have built for it I should be able to run it as a 4" with very high recovery rates, but it has a much larger footprint than the piglet clone.
    winners58 and Beav like this.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1076 times
    Prospecting
    If in doubt, check out Youtube. There ought to be a bunch of in use videos by now
    akflyer likes this.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    324 times
    Prospecting
    My mining buddy and I just recently bought piglets (both of us), both without the extension because Doc says it really isn't needed. I'm using the Honda WX15 pump. We've both only run maybe half a dozen times so the samples are small, but we've both tested our tailings several times and not found anything, even small stuff, that has passed on through. I am going to take it one step further and mount my Angus Mackirk sluice at the end of the piglet and then test to see if it catches anything. Again, my experiences are small compared to some others on here, but for something small enough that I can pack all in by myself (my wife helps usually) I find it a pretty amazing unit. I would think the extension would add quite a bit to pack, if not in weight then certainly the complexity of packing it all. I would suggest trying it without the extension, test your tailings and see if you even need the extension. Dredging with it might change things though.
    akflyer likes this.

ca
    Mar 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    VLF
    30 times
    Prospecting
    akflyer - I'd like to see some pics of your 3 or 4" "rappy clone" when you have it completed. Would be cool to see it in action as well.
    Beav
    akflyer likes this.

Jun 2017
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beav View Post
    akflyer - I'd like to see some pics of your 3 or 4" "rappy clone" when you have it completed. Would be cool to see it in action as well.
    Beav
    The "rappy clone" without either extension running as a 2" last year.

my highbanker build
    winners58, arizau and Beav like this.

ca
    Mar 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    VLF
    30 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you. I missed that previous post...sorry. Great build!!!
    Don't want to high-jack the thread but does a 3" nozzle overpower the box (i.e. too much water)?
    Beav

Jun 2018
    Meridian, Idaho
    Fisher GB-2, White's MXT, Garrett AT-Max.
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post
    My mining buddy and I just recently bought piglets (both of us), both without the extension because Doc says it really isn't needed. I'm using the Honda WX15 pump. We've both only run maybe half a dozen times so the samples are small, but we've both tested our tailings several times and not found anything, even small stuff, that has passed on through. I am going to take it one step further and mount my Angus Mackirk sluice at the end of the piglet and then test to see if it catches anything. Again, my experiences are small compared to some others on here, but for something small enough that I can pack all in by myself (my wife helps usually) I find it a pretty amazing unit. I would think the extension would add quite a bit to pack, if not in weight then certainly the complexity of packing it all. I would suggest trying it without the extension, test your tailings and see if you even need the extension. Dredging with it might change things though.
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll most likely end up just using it. I've seen a few user reviews etc., they all seem to be good.
    I'm curious now to see how it does, especially on fines. If the extension isn't needed, that would be great.
    By the lack of any other comments though, I get the impression that there's not too terribly many of them in use.

-AKflyer..., I lived in Fairbanks in 68-69 and used to pan around in some tailings just out of Fox (a short distance out of Fairbanks). That's when my interest in the hobby started.

DW
    arizau likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2441 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DW in ID View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll most likely end up just using it. I've seen a few user reviews etc., they all seem to be good.
    I'm curious now to see how it does, especially on fines. If the extension isn't needed, that would be great.
    By the lack of any other comments though, I get the impression that there's not too terribly many of them in use.

-AKflyer..., I lived in Fairbanks in 68-69 and used to pan around in some tailings just out of Fox (a short distance out of Fairbanks). That's when my interest in the hobby started.

DW
    Maybe you will find a lot more info and users of the piglet on Doc's own forum(?). Go here and click on Gold & Gem Gazette. Gold Prospecting Forum

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Jul 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3663 times
    You can bring your piglet up to the Blue Bucket here in Huntington and we can compare it to the Raptor Pro Flare if you would like. I've seen the Piglet but haven't used one myself and would love to really look at it in person. I'm trying to decide between the Raptor and the Viper myself because I can run a 4" into the Viper. The Raptor is a good one man machine when your dealing with cemented high bar channel gravel like we have here, but I'm thinking about going bigger for the 4" capability and the ability to just dump full buckets into it much faster.
    Last edited by Reed Lukens; Jul 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    324 times
    Prospecting
    My wife and I have been out to the river a couple times since my last post and used my Angus Mackirk as kind of an extension and to test the tailings off our Piglet. 4 out of 6 test cleanups of the AM showed gold (downstream of the Piglet), only a few small specks per cleanup, but there were a couple decent sized flakes. I would guess the proportion lost was pretty small, but if it's in my shovel, I don't want to give it back! That being said, we are still testing different angle settings on the Piglet and we probably aren't all dialed in yet. Setting at 9 degrees, our mats seemed to clog a bit. 10.5 degrees I was finding gold in the AM so backed it down to 9.5 degrees. Still finding a small amount of gold in the AM, so maybe back down to 9 degrees next time. Taking the AM and the stand along is pretty easy so I may just keep doing it. If you have the extension, you might as well use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2233.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	1610662

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links