Pressure regulating - pneumatic and hydraulic

Hephaestus

Greenie
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Looking for advice, did some initial testing of a CWC this morning. Realize I need to resolve 2 feed issues.

Didn't fully consider the air regulator and the need to relieve pressure. Needs to be set to a relatively low value - today I was running 4.7 psi, but the volume in the CWC is constantly changing. My simple regulator (meant to step down for an airbrush I think (found in my good junk box)) only regulated air in, doesn't allow air to escape. Figured I'd try it, not realizing the pressure would bounce around so much...

Does anyone know of a not insanely expensive back pressure regulator? Most I see for the <50psi range are hundreds of dollars.

Or is anyone aware of a cheap bleeder valve that can be finely set in the <10psi range? I'm guessing if I T'd that in with the regulator - I'd get same result - just need to be careful to adjust them to match? Currently just using automotive Schrader valve on the CWC so adding isn't a big challenge.

Next part of the question.

Using a 12v 600gph bilge pump. Printed a simple eductor and hopper. Running the eductor horizontally, feed even though I'd screened to 1/8" was super inconsistent. Good one minute not feeding the next but sucking air through the hopper. Adding water to hopper helped - but material feed was still inconsistent.

Any ideas? I was thinking of maybe running the eductor vertically. Let gravity help the venturi work more efficiently. Other thought was maybe I'm not getting enough pressure from the pump?

Eductor probably needs some tweaking, but disconnected from the CWC seemed to work fine. Maybe it all comes back to that air pressure/volume issue?

Kind of impressed with the initial tests - was thrilled with the first 10min of operation, seemed to be doing a lovely job concentrating, until the air column overran the path for lights to exit.

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I understand your problem,you need a 10:1 self releasing regular. It should work really smooth. They not cheap, I,'ll see if I can one that you can use, cheap where do live and phone. I,'ll call you tomorrow or Tuesday, thanks, marion

OP
OP
H

Hephaestus

Greenie
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up in Alberta, thanks for the offer - but yeah if the only option is insanely expensive regulators, I'll probably switch to a hydrocyclone. As we know any peice of fine equipment used in Gold recovery is going to be replaced repeatedly ;) so if it's not locally sourced or relatively inexpensive - it's probably not going to be in the design long...

OP
OP
H

Hephaestus

Greenie
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much Marion,

I realized the advantage to having a 3d printer about an hour ago...

Pressure relief valve is just a couple hunks of plastic, spring, some o rings and a shaft. Normally I'd just grab some scrap aluminum and head to the lathe, but the theory of printing a part seems so much nicer!

Let's see if fusion 360 let's me do what I want ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread