dealing with sharp flat rock

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So up until now I have played in the creeks and dirt with round river rock that just slides right off the grizzly bars and tumbles down the mats. Last week I was playing with pay dirt from a buddies mine and its sharp bedrock mixed in with lots of flatter chunks of odd shaped rock that just hangs up in the grizzlies and what does make it into the box tends to get hung up on the mats and cause the riffles to blow out behind them. Its a pain in the butt to run a couple shovels then rake the box. I gave up on trying to suck that stuff up with the 2" nozzle. Shovel is way faster and no plug ups.

I am running gold hog mats and had them about maxed out on water and angle but those odd shaped buggers are a pain to deal with. I really don't want to have to stop and classify. I am thinking that changing the grizzly bars out from Aluminum to Stainless with make the rocks slide easier and I will put them closer together to nothing more than 1/4" goes through, but the flat ones might still slip in the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think about this the more I think I need to build a mini trommel.. After researching that section of the forum I have all the fun stuff ordered up for motor, gear box, sprockets chain etc..

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a #2 shovel is much faster than a 2" dredge. How big is your sluice/pump? I sometimes cover my grizzly with 1/4" hardware cloth when there is a high rock to fine ratio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
upper run is 10", flares to 14" can put in an additional 10.25" run in between them or another 14" on the end. right now the bars are 3/8" apart but those flat rocks are getting between them and the really sharp stuff is hanging up in the mats. The pump I am running now is the northstar high pressure pump. It puts out enough water to run a 4" dredge if I crank it up a little bit. If I am just running the water into the box and using it as a highbanker without the dry land dredge I run it at an idle with the output valve throttled back a bit.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd run all the extensions you have and run it as flat as possible with as much water is necessary to clear the mats, put a tub at the end of the sluice and test.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
a #2 shovel is much faster than a 2" dredge. How big is your sluice/pump? I sometimes cover my grizzly with 1/4" hardware cloth when there is a high rock to fine ratio.

Mmmm, that's a great idea in more ways then one. And is cheap too! Thanks..... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread