Gold Mines open to the public?

jdlev

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Mines open to the public in NC?

Hi Guys,

I'm in the Concord, NC area, and was looking for creek/river mining locations open to the public. I'd prefer the actual river/creek mining experience as opposed to the tourist traps you see up in the mountains where you buy a bucket that make sure you find something dinky. I remember seeing something here in NC that had a large creek running through the area that had a bunch of equipment you could rent while you worked their property - but I can't remember the name of the mine? I remember the sluices looked like that were simple 'homemade' setups - like what fed the sluices were old steel drums that had been cut in half and put on stilts. I remember seeing they had some mini backhoes, but wasn't sure if those were rentals or things people had brought with them.

Thanks for any recommended options :)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is mountain creek in New London, but you will find very little gold there. You can go to Lucky Strike outside of Marion and pay $10 to play in the creek, might get lucky and find some there.

Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPAA meets over there in kannapolis. Your closest outdoor experience might be the Uwharrie. There’s gold in every creek there, just limited to sluice boxes and pans. No mechanized equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread