Anyone Ever Tried Using Screened Black Sands To Tumble Rocks?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The black sands, especially the black magnetic particulate, screened down to 100+ mesh looks like it might be useful for tumbling/polishing stones. Anyone ever tried it or heard of anyone using it? Or at least to begin the first stages before the 600 grit polish?

images.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Check this article out. https://rocktumbler.com/blog/can-i-use-sand-in-a-rock-tumbler-instead-of-grit/. The hardness of magnetite, which is what black sand is largely comprised of, is 5.5 to 6.5 on the Mohs scale so seems not to be a good choice.

Makes sense, although, there is a high percentage of garnets in some locations, with a nice pink color of some cons. Of course, garnets have a hardness of 1 -2 point better then the magnetite, again, making that concentrate mixture kind of useless.

Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
On the subject of black sand...and gold, here is a presentation by one of your fellow Canadians that may be of interest to you. https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/24/items/1.0223469. Go to page 37 for pictures, methods, etc. There is also a lengthy thread on this forum if you want to see forum members discussions on the subject. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/456622-simple-solution-fine-gold-recovery.html.

That milling procedure is most interesting, yet quite successful. Thanks for that link. Articles like that can keep a grown man awake all night thinking!:laughing7:

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a test using the magnetic fraction of my black sands hematite/magnetite to tumble polish gold nuggets.
I made a video about it. The results were not what I had expected but I guess they do make sense.

For rocks, could work as a pre polish/ not too aggressive to knock off sharp edges and such on softer rock

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread