Here's My Highbanker Upgrade Using 1/2 Raised Mesh With Indoor/Outdoor Carpet

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
DSCN2092.jpg

I upgraded my highbanker with a riffle tray, made some minor modifications, and put in a new piece of indoor/outdoor carpet, a favorite of mine from years ago.

Using 1/2" raised mesh gives me 400 hexagon cells to trap that elusive NSR flour gold and bury it in the carpet. If the first 100 cells miss a piece of gold, one of the other 300 cells will surely catch it. At least in theory...............

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like astroturf? I have a section of it at the head of my big highbanker it really catches a lot of heavies.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Looks like astroturf? I have a section of it at the head of my big highbanker it really catches a lot of heavies.

It does look like astroturf......I noticed many years back that it really held on to the gold and black sands. Some people actually just used this stuff in their highbankers, with no riffles. Given the right flow and degree of sluice, it managed to hang on to the flour gold. I figure if you add some mesh, you get a better opportunity to bury and hide some of that gold. And the amounts of concentrate after a cleanup is considerably less then miners moss. And, just as each tiny piece of gold is unique in it's own size, weight and density, each cell on the mesh is unique due to the number of and size of plastic blades, allowing for different sizes of gold to get trapped.

One thing about this hobby, is that it requires a person to think....utilizing the concepts of science ie laws of physics, chemistry,math, geology etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions