3" over under gold king questions

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Screenshot_20200219-084104_Samsung Internet.jpg 8 Screenshot_20200219-084016_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200219-084104_Samsung Internet.jpg

Were these any good in fine gold areas? Hasnt been run for several years but of course was running great when it was parked😉

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was that on craigslist? I saw one like that listed there thought it was a neat idea, I run over under on my 4" which works well.

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Was that on craigslist? I saw one like that listed there thought it was a neat idea, I run over under on my 4" which works well.
It is. I'm not sure if it's a factory setup or Frankenstein. Also not sure if the highbanker discharge type crash box is a good idea but easy to modify. Not sure if there is a way to remove too and use it as a highbanker? Never used gold king so not sure pumps are any good or gpm of the pump. Lots of questions that current owner doesnt have answers to.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have time to answer everything tonight, i'll be back early morning. It's a frankendredge. Gold King upper sluice like a keene a52, treasure emporium floats, etc...

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks Reed. Always appreciate your vast reservoir of knowledge that you so freely share. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it's a great looking little dredge, very well thought out. It looks like something that I would have built back in the mid 80's. The floats look fine, just keep them covered or out of the sun and they'll last, I said Treasure Emporium, but it looks like a stock Gold King over under, the first Gold King double sluice that I've ever seen. The pump puts out 225gpm and it's actually the perfect pump for a 3" dredge. I can't remember if it says 125 on the housing below the intake on the front, but its a Gold King 125 pump. Depending on the screen size for the under sluice, you shouldn't need those riffles on it, but it looks like a nice little unit and I would run it as is - before making any decisions on changing out the riffles or anything. I think that the pump seal is the same that they use on the Keene, but if it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry about it. I ran Gold King pumps just like that one for years on a 3" dredge and then 2 of them on my first 5" that I built with the drums for floats way back in the last century... Lol. You may be able to run that pump just fine with a 4hp motor, but it came stock on a 5hp Briggs threaded shaft pump motor. Get that dredge in the water and let us know how it runs! It looks great :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks Reed that's the solid info I needed to hear. I'm in Oregon right now taking care of my elderly dad but will be back in alaska tomorrow and will see if I can get together with the guy.
Hes asking $600 but I know he had it for sale last year (not sure if price) ots been sitting for 7yrs and hes never heard it run so I might start a tad lower.
I will get you know.

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a 4-inch gold king, it worked well on fine gold when I converted to an over/under. I converted the crash box into a flair jet to help the fine gold settle before hitting the classification screens.

DSCF1196.JPG

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Texted the guy this afternoon to ask him what his bottom dollar was and he said there was a guy coming to pick it up tomorrow. Evidently had just made a deal with him.
And Reed he sent me a pic this afternoon. 5hp :-).

My wife told me she was sorry I missed it. I told her it was no big deal. Obviously God doesnt want us to have an old cheap dredge. He wants us to be a newer more expensive one. Who am I to argue with Him? He > me!
I am bummed I missed it. Hold him to let me know if it falls through. I will be back in alaska tomorrow!

So i guess for mow it's back to this frankendredge.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...305-help-me-set-up-my-new-me-used-dredge.html

Sam from armadillo in Grant's pass was supposed to be getting me some parts info but inever could get it from her. Hasnt made it to the water yet. Guess this is its year unless something else comes along.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texted the guy this afternoon to ask him what his bottom dollar was and he said there was a guy coming to pick it up tomorrow. Evidently had just made a deal with him.
And Reed he sent me a pic this afternoon. 5hp :-).

My wife told me she was sorry I missed it. I told her it was no big deal. Obviously God doesnt want us to have an old cheap dredge. He wants us to be a newer more expensive one. Who am I to argue with Him? He > me!
I am bummed I missed it. Hold him to let me know if it falls through. I will be back in alaska tomorrow!

So i guess for mow it's back to this frankendredge.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...305-help-me-set-up-my-new-me-used-dredge.html

Sam from armadillo in Grant's pass was supposed to be getting me some parts info but inever could get it from her. Hasnt made it to the water yet. Guess this is its year unless something else comes along.

That brought back some memories, then I clicked the link to the old 49erMike site. Lots of good info is still stored in the web archive, you can click on lots of the topics and they still work.
Prospectors Cache Forum - Viewing topics in Tom Ashworth's Prospectors Cache

Nov 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this on Craigslist too, it looked like an interesting set up. Keep looking there’s bound to be more as people start spring cleaning and deals to be had.

This past fall I picked up an older Keene 4 inch single stage with a gx200 engine and a proline hp400 pump and a trailer to tow it behind an ATV for $1500. I’m in the middle of modify it to an over under with gold hog mats. It also came with an extra engine/pump and a bunch of parts so I may end up building 5 or 6 inch.

7242BACA-775D-450B-B26D-1C6E02ED4523.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C413B61-1C17-447E-B60B-31F87C9B84FF.jpeg
    4C413B61-1C17-447E-B60B-31F87C9B84FF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions