5 Gal Bucket Hopper for Highbanker - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 5 Gal Bucket Hopper for Highbanker

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    2681 times
    [QUOTE=Bodfish Mike;6448522]Here a pic of my Hillbilly Highbanker.
    Keene a51 fits perfect in a walker and the square bucket fits perfect in the a51.
    Walker and bucket found in dumpster -- Keene at a garage sale.

Cheers Mike
    Attachment 1809725[/QUOTE

I love that design! Perfect for us silver haired guys. It will gradually walk us into our senior years (pun intended)........there ain't no place that we can not get to. Those 2 wheeled walkers have many uses.
    Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    4614 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by John-Edmonton View Post
    Great job on the hopper! Due to it's shape, size and plastic, it could easily be attached to another highbanker and field repaired if necessary. Is that matting in it the bottom "Trimmable Riffled TPR Light Weight Sluice Box Matting?" I am holding off purchasing some Owl Matting pending your results.

Attachment 1809116
    Hi John,

Just finished my test on the mat you have pictured above.

The first thing I noticed after turning the water on before running any material was that the mat traps a lot of air bubbles.
    A hand spanking of the mat took care of all the air bubbles (something I learned to do with the vortex mat/rough top conveyor belt)

Another issue that I wanted to address was the transition from the sluice bottom to the beginning of the mat.
    I found that a thin piece of aluminum flashing 2-3/4" x 10" held to the sluice with waterproof double sided carpet tape worked great.

The first 2" were in front of the mat and then 3/4" was bent up and over the leading edge of the mat.
    Made a smooth transition and held the mat down as well.

At the foot end of the sluice across the bottom I attached a 1/4 tall aluminum molding to serve as a stop for the mat and to do double duty as an anti migration baffle to stop any gold that made it's way underneath the mat from washing off the end. Very important.

Ok, now to my test results.
    First, out of curiosity I wanted to see what would happen if I just ran my 2 gram sample of assorted shape and size gold by itself.
    The gold consisted of large pickers down to fly poop size, some was coarse some was fine, some flat, some round.

I sprinkled it into the hopper and waited 5 minutes before shutting the water off.
    NO gold went past the first 3" of mat.

I cleaned the mat, dried and re weighed the gold to make sure I had it all.
    Then I re-started the water, spanked the mat, and ran 2 gallons of regular desert material classified to 1/4" that contained no gold to load the mat.

Without stopping I then ran two gallons of the same type material but with the 2 grams of gold mixed in.
    Then ran another 2 gallons of sterile desert material before shutting down to do a clean up.

I also had placed a tub at the end of the sluice to catch all the tailings from when the gold was introduced until shut down.
    Could see that a lot of gold was trapped in the first 3" of mat. Before removing the mat to clean it I adjusted the legs on the sluice frame to level.

Then I used my long tweezers to check the mat riffles to see if I could tell how far down the mat that the gold had traveled.
    The best I could tell was that no gold made it past about 12"

After panning the material in the mat by hand and then drying it before weighing, the 2 grams of gold was all accounted for.
    I felt there was no need to pan the tailings.

I know this test was just my one experience with my setup and my material and gold. Your results will most likely vary.
    My opinion of this mat so far is that for what I am going to use it for, it does a great job!

Hope this helps.
    GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Mar 26, 2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Reed Lukens, Bow and Vance in AK like this.

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    2681 times
    Well, that sounds promising. Did you screen all your test material to 3/8"? I was planning to run mine using my 1/4" grizzly. I also have a 3/8 in mesh which I sometimes use. Trial & error I guess.

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I am going to go down to the river, screen some river gravel to 3/8 inch, maybe a 5 gallon bucket, then run it through my fluid bed concentrator, discharging it on my cleanup sluice, then save the all the total concentrates from cleanup sluice plus concentrator.

I still need to prep my highbanker hoses and service my water pump for this year. Last year we had the river breakup already at this time of year. The river is still frozen over, except for the odd spot, where gravel is exposed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1814906
    Last edited by John-Edmonton; Mar 25, 2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Goodyguy likes this.
    Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    4614 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by John-Edmonton View Post
    Well, that sounds promising. Did you screen all your test material to 3/8"? I was planning to run mine using my 1/4" grizzly. I also have a 3/8 in mesh which I sometimes use. Trial & error I guess.
    My bad, for the test the material was classified to 1/4". The grizzly bars on my hopper are spaced at 3/8" for running unclassified material.
    I edited my post to correct the error.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Mar 26, 2020 at 09:01 AM.

ca
    Feb 2011
    Awesome to find this information guys! I built a beach box that runs exclusively vortex conveyor matting that captures North Saskatchewan River gold as good as I could ever ask for, but the box is 24" wide to keep up with sandy material at the slow flow rate required. I'm very interested in the new mats out there for NSR gold.
    I'm interested if any of the mats you've tried do any better than the other when it comes to 'less than ideal' setup and flow.
    Something that can handle imperfect water flow and maybe a tilt in the box here and there any better than the others? I've never actually used real miners moss under expanded, but do like the newer style mats for easy cleanup.
    Anyways, Hello to all, looking forward to going back and reading some more posts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links