5 Gal Bucket Hopper for Highbanker

BMOLLMAN

Greenie
Oct 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is my Franken-mini-highbanker that i've been tweaking. Everything fits into (1)5-gallon bucket, except the (4)legs and sluice. (2000-GPH with 40Ah Battery) Kinda a reverse crash-box(Ice-melt bucket), washing back over the expanded metal channel. I like the two different adjustable angles for crash-box and for expanded metal. Straight griz-bars would help against clogging, but not that much trouble as is.
- BAM

20190706_142025.jpg

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome to find this information guys! I built a beach box that runs exclusively vortex conveyor matting that captures North Saskatchewan River gold as good as I could ever ask for, but the box is 24" wide to keep up with sandy material at the slow flow rate required. I'm very interested in the new mats out there for NSR gold.
I'm interested if any of the mats you've tried do any better than the other when it comes to 'less than ideal' setup and flow.
Something that can handle imperfect water flow and maybe a tilt in the box here and there any better than the others? I've never actually used real miners moss under expanded, but do like the newer style mats for easy cleanup.
Anyways, Hello to all, looking forward to going back and reading some more posts!

This thread* especially the last several pages deals almost exclusively about how to capture fine gold from beach sands. The setups would probably work for you too providing you classified the feed small enough.

Good luck.

* http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today.html

Good luck.

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome build GG! This is exactly the type of post and detailed testing notes I've been seeking for a while. I saw a guy named Alan Robertson make a bucket highbanker on YouTube, but I always thought there should be a way to make a much lighter version. I'm working on my own bucket hopper, ultra light, mini highbanker to go with my 1 inch Honda pump (which puts out a surprising amount of water even at half throttle). The mini highbanker has an adjustable angle, mostly auto-clearing grizzly and will easily be able to run a 5 gal bucket in a minute. Can't wait to show it off once I've tested it.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome build GG! This is exactly the type of post and detailed testing notes I've been seeking for a while. I saw a guy named Alan Robertson make a bucket highbanker on YouTube, but I always thought there should be a way to make a much lighter version. I'm working on my own bucket hopper, ultra light, mini highbanker to go with my 1 inch Honda pump (which puts out a surprising amount of water even at half throttle). The mini highbanker has an adjustable angle, mostly auto-clearing grizzly and will easily be able to run a 5 gal bucket in a minute. Can't wait to show it off once I've tested it.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Hurry up and do your test so we can see it. :icon_thumright:
Here is another view of mine..............

20200308_161433.jpg

20200308_152320.jpg

And my drop riffle sluice.

Go for the Gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i like the walker sluice idea, ive been using one of those with a piece of plywood screwed on as a motor stand for the last 2 years in places like contrary creek where you have to be in or close to the water, since theres very little bank area and you dont have to worry about your motor burying itself into the sandbar

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
GG, on your sluice with the green mat did you use 3 different pieces of alum for sides and bottom and 2 pieces of 90* alum angle to rivet them together & then seal with silicone?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, on your sluice with the green mat did you use 3 different pieces of alum for sides and bottom and 2 pieces of 90* alum angle to rivet them together & then seal with silicone?

Good eye.
Since I did not have a bending brake at the time. (I have since made one)
Then I coated it by spraying it with flex seal.

I bought scrap diamond plate and the angle aluminum at Bulldog Recycling, cost was only $9.00
The frame and leg parts were also purchased at Bulldog Recycling $6.00

You never know what you will find there, it's my go to place for getting scrap metals. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Good eye.
Since I did not have a bending brake at the time. (I have since made one)
Then I coated it by spraying it with flex seal.

I bought scrap diamond plate and the angle aluminum at Bulldog Recycling, cost was only $9.00
The frame and leg parts were also purchased at Bulldog Recycling $6.00

You never know what you will find there, it's my go to place for getting scrap metals. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Thank you sir!
I wish we had a "Bulldog Recycling here!

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool should do the trick!
I recently made one out of a 35 gallon drum cut in half. Use what you have!

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoodGuy - I've finally had the time and tools to whip up a 5 gallon bucket highbanker prototype that I first mentioned over a year ago. Mine is a bit different as the bucket sits on top of an existing 6 inch mini highbanker with a hopper that has expanded metal mesh.

My goals in making this unit were as follows:

1. Handle a full #2 shovel unclassified (unlike lots of other mini backpack highbankers that can only handle small scoops of material)
2. Fast washing and clearing action
3. Secondary washing action on the grizzly if necessary - using water dropping down from the bucket
4. Amplify water flow to get more wash from less water (bucket does this focusing action automatically with its curved surface - unlike any other type of header, except a flared one which almost no one uses in a highbanker)
5. Lightweight, easy to carry with a backpack
6. Work well with either 1,100 GPH recirculating bilge pump or a 1 inch gas pump (I have both for different circumstances)

The bucket handle can be used to mount either a bilge pump hose or my 1 inch lay flat coupler - no spray bars necessary as they constrict flow.

I'm excited to try this new prototype in the field very soon. I've already used the 6 inch highbanker on its own without the bucket, and it works very well with simple ribbed carpet as the capture medium (no expanded or riffles necessary). I was getting frustrated with the lack of header capacity, so I decided to try a 5 gallon bucket which happened to fit perfectly on top.

For someone with no woodworking or metalworking skills (and few tools) I'm pleased with this setup, and I'll report back with more pictures of the unit in action.

For anyone interested in 5 gallon bucket highbankers check out the "Bucket Blaster Highbanker" prototypes done by Allan Roberton on YouTube.

Heavy pans!

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread