Cleaned Up Some Black Sands From My Magnet In The Highbanker

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Ever wonder how much flour gold you get if you add a magnet to your highbanker? The river is too high this weekend for prospecting, so I cleaned up about 4 1/2 hours worth of black sands which I collected this year. That's about as much as I got a couple of days ago cleaning roots along the high water mark along the North Saskatchewan River for about 1 1/2 hours. Geeze, multiply that x 100 hours and you are probably into grams. Who would have known?

magnet sands.jpg

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i have read that gold is diamagnetic, repelled by a magnetic field.
i was cleaning up some gold today with a neodymium magnet
and some of the small stuff sticks to the mag.
it could be some iron content in the gold?
nice gold.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
When I was able to go dredging I had 3 peices of 3/4 inch PVC pipe the width of my sluice box and i had the neodymium magnets inside the PVC all the way across. I had these mounted at the head of my sluice by the flair with a mount so I could easily remove the PVC one at a time when they got overloaded with B.S. ...Then I could easily wipe off the B.S. and reinstall it so I didnt stop catching the B.S. that was being sucked up. Then I could get the other P.V.C. pipes to clean them. I liked this method for the B.S. removal . These magnets were mounted about 1 inch above the sluice and spaced about 2 inchs apart. It worked well for me !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread