Dawn of the stealth dredge
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Dawn of the stealth dredge

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2020
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Dawn of the stealth dredge

Recently I have been working on a project, and have decided to share the results with the forum as it happened to be this forum that inspired my initial ideas.

Project Goals:

-Noise: Create a dredging system that is quiet
    -Efficiency: Do as much as possible as far as moving material, with as little input energy ass possible
    -Performance: Sacrifice as little as possible in the ways of performance in comparison to a 'real' gas powered dredge

Project Results:

Suction will be provided by an 'infinity jet' aka 'Couples Jet'. Sluice box will be submerged. Both of these design options will increase efficiency, as energy will not be lost to 'lift' material above the water line. In fact there should be little lifting involved, as the sluice box and nozzle will be at roughly the same height. Pressurized water will be provided via submersible electric pumps.

With these design choices the noise level will be that of the generator alone, and generators are pretty darn quite these days. The only sign of dredging, once the system is in place, is an extension cord running into the water. Otherwise there is only the compressed air line for the hookah.
    Reed Lukens and Phil like this.

May 2020
    35 times
    Issues encountered in first uploading attempt, let me try this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1851867

Name:	20200726_152956.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	1851869
    edit: For whatever reason, that took forever. If theres any interest I will try to get some more photos, video of operation uploaded.
    Last edited by LeeOregon; Jul 26, 2020 at 06:59 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    65838 times
    I for one am interested... and would enjoy watching / looking at the photos you post.

I like what you have done thus far... I will open and study the photos after typing this.

From the small pics alone I can say what I see so far is interesting.

I like to watch innovation and creation in areas like this.

Even if something ends up not working the way intended... there is much to learn from that as well.
    Last edited by AARC; Jul 26, 2020 at 06:53 PM.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

May 2020
    35 times
    A bit more information:

As far as I can tell, this is providing more suction than a normal suction nozzle (Not a jet log, no experience with that as yet). Granted, the gas powered pump I was using with that particular 3" nozzle was kind of crappy.

The upside? This suction is currently being provided by 2, 1 hp pumps. Theoretically those 2 pumps are small enough to be run off a very quite and pretty small generator like the cheap Predator 2000. In practice though, that generator doesn't have enough oomph to start up both pumps, and stalls out a trying to turn on the second. Im not sure whats going on here, as each pump is drawing something just over 10 amps after startup. As a 1hp motor, it shouldnt draw much over 6 amps after startup. Right now thats kicking my poor little generators butt.
    Last edited by LeeOregon; Jul 26, 2020 at 07:08 PM.
    AARC, russau and Reed Lukens like this.

May 2020
    35 times
    Attachment 1851886

This infinity jet was constructed as 3 main parts as seen in the photo above. From right to left there is the female taper housing, male taper sleeve, and sleeve bushing.
    Attachment 1851889
    The female taper housing as seen above. The taper is 11 degrees. The 3 screws you can see are to adjust the end of the male taper so that its perfectly centered in the female taper, providing an even jet all around. For whatever reason if I left the end alone, it tended to provide more flow on one side than the other.
    Attachment 1851890
    The male taper sleeve, also at 11 degrees. I ran out of aluminum, so 3d printed this in black PETG. It is solid, surprisingly strong; Leads me to believe that an entire jet assembly could be printed this way. My only concern would be abrasion resistance, so I will only do this section for now and see how it holds up over a bit of time.
    The bulged section seen at the end provides a longer length of taper, in theory giving the water more time to become co-linear with the direction of flow down the pipe.
    Attachment 1851892

The sleeve bushing. A slip fit on the male taper sleeve allows the gap to be adjusted, with the 2 screws used to pin it in place. Ive found greatest suction thus far at the smallest gap.

Attachment 1851893
    Attachment 1851893
    The male taper sleeve inside the sleeve bushing.

Attachment 1851898
    I was unable to find the connector I wanted, a 1 1/4" to 1" Y fitting. So I made a few up myself. Again, 3d printed in black PETG
    AARC, russau, Goodyguy and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    65838 times
    The attached photos are coming in as invalid and not opening... try reposting just the photos.
    russau likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

May 2020
    35 times

Name:	20200726_141837.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	1851902

Assembly, from right to left

Does this one work?
    russau and Reed Lukens like this.

May 2020
    35 times

Here I have taken off the hose just to see how far it might shoot

Moving a little bit of material

It creates a nice, even flow 360 degrees around the perimeter
    Reed Lukens likes this.

May 2020
    35 times
    Are any of these uploads working for anyone?
    russau likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6725 times
    Prospecting
    Lee, the last images are showing.

I believe the issue you're having has to do with the image size,
    as the files you posted are very large. Here is your last image,
    and I reduced it from 2.1MB down to 354kb. Easy to do in
    Paint.

Name:	20200726_141837.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	1851982

There is an adjustable setting on your phone or camera for the image size. I believe
    yours is set to a larger setting, making for very large file sizes and huge images. Images
    would post up better and be viewed much easier if you reset that to something along the
    lines of 1000x800 pixels (or thereabouts). Images would still be plenty big for internet use
    without any degrading of the image, and they would load and post much faster.
    AARC, russau and Reed Lukens like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    65838 times
    No pics.

The original post pics are fine... not sure what might have changed that caused his next post pics to be "invalid".

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4738 times
    I viewed all your pic's and you did a real nice job of making this system. The system is doing a good job so far but some higher pressure / volume pumps look like it would really enhance it's performance! BUT all in all you've got a nice set up and did some good work ! Generator's can be made quieter with a " low tone muffler". these are expensive (over a hundred dollar's ) but do the trick!! I've been wanting to replace my muffler on my 6.5 KW generator but I'm having a hard time finding one to be a bolt in replacement ! I'm a (old) welder and I could cut and reweld the pipe configuration to work , but right now I don't need it , so it'll have to wait ! I think the "low tone "muffler would be a asset to your system! GOOD LUCK on your project and keep us up-2-date ! Several years back I was building a 5 inch subbie similar to your's BUT old age and a wore out buddy changed my mind !
    Goodyguy and Reed Lukens like this.

May 2020
    35 times

Name:	20200726_141226.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	1852080
    3d printed sleeve

Name:	20200726_141641.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	1852081
    female taper housing, w/ adjustment screws to center the two tapers

Name:	20200726_141333.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	1852082
    Sleeve bushing

Name:	20200726_141354.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	1852083
    3d printed Y adapters
    Reed Lukens, russau, AARC and 1 others like this.

May 2020
    35 times
    How does one typically measure the performance of a dredge? Is it in the vacuum it creates and if so, where do you measure it? By capping the inlet and measuring the vacuum it pulls? Or perhaps its the vacuum it pulls whilst the line is open, running clear water?

Or do you measure it in the PSI created, downstream of whatever injection method your using, again running clear water or by capping the outlet.

Most of the ratings ive found for dredges just go by the power of the motor attached to it. But im finding that number usually has little to do with how well the actual system performs. For example, I tried out a 6.5 hp powered, high pressure water pump on a 3" dredge. This current system with the 2 electric 1hp motors is already outperforming it.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4304 times
    The movies all worked fine.
    From what I saw, your output didn't come close to a 3" dredge motor and was barely able to pick up the rocks that you had in the pool, but it worked. Great job! Can you show us some pictures of the power cord connector in the water?
    russau likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links