Legal question for California-Taking buckets of material home

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to take home buckets of material to run through a highbanker. It would be coming from a currently dry stream bed and it is on BLM property. I live about a mile from the site, and it has decent amounts of gold.

I want to know if this is legal though because I would be carting the buckets past neighbors, who could possibly complain when they see how much material I take out. (Maybe 4 buckets at a time.) I plan on bringing the material back afterwards to fill back in the areas that I mine.

Is this legal? I'm not trying to get a big fine as there is no way I could afford that.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shoesnsocks: If I were in your shoes (..sorry, couldn't help myself rofl.gif ) I believe
my first thought would be to talk to those neighbors, and tell them what I was
considering. Be cordial, but stress to them (if needed) that you'll be bringing all
of it back, minus a tablespoon or two.

If they have no beef with it, then you've solved your problem, and maybe made
some new friends. If they're going to be peckerheads about your idea, it's still
better to know, now.

Can't answer the legal question, but I did once cart 17 buckets of classified
dirt all the way from Barstow to NW Washington...:occasion14:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'd check on My Land matter's first and the County records to see the land status ! then I'd take DD's suggestion on talking to the neighbor's (if open & dry) I'd bring in a dry washer and bring home the concentrates of your labor !

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple buckets no big deal start removing bulk material and you are mining and it isn't permisable with out at least having a claim.

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple buckets no big deal start removing bulk material and you are mining and it isn't permisable with out at least having a claim.

Good to know. I guess I never knew that you needed to have a claim to do that. I always just thought a claim gave you ownership of the minerals.

I will keep this in mind. Is there a certain amount that is considered going over the limit into "mining" territory?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. I guess I never knew that you needed to have a claim to do that. I always just thought a claim gave you ownership of the minerals.

I will keep this in mind. Is there a certain amount that is considered going over the limit into "mining" territory?

yes and no. No, you dont need a claim to mine minerals. Yes, you need to have a claim, and file all proper POOs and pay fees to mine large amounts of material. If it requires industrial equipment, theres a LOT you have to do. If its a hand shovel, you dont HAVE to anything except make sure someone else doesnt have the rights to the minerals first.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be fine, just make sure that there isn't a claim on it now. Just because you don't see any markers, doesn't mean that it's not claimed already. Running the material at home can be loud depending on your set up, buts it's your property, so go have some fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread