Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    MAGA

Dec 2015
    Jefferson Coast
    833 times
    Prospecting
    I'm going to "circle back". I'm with Russ.
    Phil, russau, Goodyguy and 1 others like this.

Dec 2012
    308 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here is what will happen.............You will buy the cute dredge because it's compact and easy to transport. After some prospecting, you will get on good color, then work yourself to death trying to suck more material. After a few weeks of that, you will be back here asking for recommendations on a 4".

You asked, and several of us that have been dredging for years answered because we went through the same process you are going through now. Learn from our experience, or spend double on two dredges. It's your choice.
    Reed Lukens and Goldwasher like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5137 times
    For me I went with several dredge's and I liked my choice in doing so! Back when I could still dredge & prospect ,I traveled around the Country and different state's and the prospecting laws and state laws are different in each state. Plus the stream conditions are ALWAYS different. I always brought all my equipment where ever I went ! It's very costly to forget something at home and either do without OR drive back home or go buy another close to where your working. Among friends , I was referred to as the "traveling hardware store". Funny at the time but most people knew that I brought the tools to repair it ! Now that I've come to the end of my journey in prospecting / dredging I ended up selling everything EXCEPT for some hold out "STUFF" and maybe I can build for someone else in our Show me G.P. club . AZViper sent me a email about his plans for a Miller table that I bought the mat several years back and now I'm going to build it and donate it to one of our club member's in some sort of raffle with the money going to our club whenever this Corvid-19 goes away !!

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Here is what will happen.............You will buy the cute dredge because it's compact and easy to transport. After some prospecting, you will get on good color, then work yourself to death trying to suck more material. After a few weeks of that, you will be back here asking for recommendations on a 4".

You asked, and several of us that have been dredging for years answered because we went through the same process you are going through now. Learn from our experience, or spend double on two dredges. It's your choice.
    I agree with your theory to some extent...
    There are definitely places in my neck of the woods that I will pack the backpacking dredge into for some fun prospecting that I would never try if I had to hump a 4" in in pieces...
    Now, that said if that place pans out I may decide to spend several days getting the larger dredge & all it's goodies in there. So in my opinion, the small dredge (like the 2.5: Dahlke) is never wasted even when you buy that 4 or 5" dredge. They are both tools in the tool box. Unless you want to spend all your time close to the truck. Then start big & stay there
    Phil, RTR, russau and 3 others like this.

Dec 2012
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I agree with your theory to some extent...
    There are definitely places in my neck of the woods that I will pack the backpacking dredge into for some fun prospecting that I would never try if I had to hump a 4" in in pieces...
    Now, that said if that place pans out I may decide to spend several days getting the larger dredge & all it's goodies in there. So in my opinion, the small dredge (like the 2.5: Dahlke) is never wasted even when you buy that 4 or 5" dredge. They are both tools in the tool box. Unless you want to spend all your time close to the truck. Then start big & stay there

You make an excellent point I had not considered. If I was starting over and looking for new areas, the 2" is the way to go.
    Reed Lukens likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    18463 times
    Well, I know for a fact old yeller is there Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	1902951
    russau, Phil, N-Lionberger and 2 others like this.

Dec 2012
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Well, I know for a fact old yeller is there Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	1902951

I take back what I said.............With color like that a 6" dredge is the only way to go! LOL
    Last edited by Phil; Feb 17, 2021 at 08:41 PM.
    Vance in AK and Reed Lukens like this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1211 times
    Prospecting
    I'm not saying don't buy a 2.5 I am just saying it won't move the overburden. They're great for cleaning cracks that are shallow. I hate floats they make adjusting the sluice a pain I built a stand with adjustable legs for my 4" to run without its floats in my creek. How much water is available?
    RTR, wildminer, Phil and 1 others like this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    18463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I'm not saying don't buy a 2.5 I am just saying it won't move the overburden. They're great for cleaning cracks that are shallow. I hate floats they make adjusting the sluice a pain I built a stand with adjustable legs for my 4" to run without its floats in my creek. How much water is available?
    Depending on time of year a few inches of water to 2 Ft. of water. AND IF I could use a bigger dredge,I would, but its a Looooong walk in.And most of the walk there isn't enough water to 'Float' a big/heavy dredge.And no way to get a ATV in .

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1211 times
    Prospecting
    When I was younger on the Yuba we would drag the dredge up and down stream on its floats, my current creeks are too rapid/rocky to effectively drag it on it's floats so I have to backpack my 4" in over multiple trips. Puddle jumping with a little dredge can work if you have enough water for your pump to run, you can dam up a creek but it clouds out quick making it hard to see what you are doing underwater.
    russau and Reed Lukens like this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1488 times
    A few years back, I was given a 1 1/2" Jobe combo. Slow, plug ups constantly so I upgraded it to a 2" . Sam at H&B made the nozzle. While it moves twice as much as the 1.5 did, it's still slow. Creek gravels are inconsistant, causing lots of rock chucking, but at my age, I don't see me working the #2 to move a couple yards of gravel a day. Since the fires last summer, I may have lost most of my equipment and hoses at the claim, so this year, another upgrade to 3" may be in order. My creek isn't big enough for floats so I'll have to build a stand for the sluice. The HFT pump is a heart attack waiting to happen just getting it down the hill 1/4 mile so once it gets there, it stays there.
    RTR and Reed Lukens like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5137 times
    Why not build a dredge with a combination of small floats and a set of wheels that would help you get the dredge over rough area's that you would rather not drag it over ? And I'd look for a dredge to buy from the West Coast and modify it to fit your needs ! Small 10/15 gallon black plastic barrels are tough and fairly cheap and EZ to replace if-n-when you get to eager to get where you want to go! I MISS DREDGING TO THYE MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RTR, delnorter and Reed Lukens like this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    18463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    Why not build a dredge with a combination of small floats and a set of wheels that would help you get the dredge over rough area's that you would rather not drag it over ? And I'd look for a dredge to buy from the West Coast and modify it to fit your needs ! Small 10/15 gallon black plastic barrels are tough and fairly cheap and EZ to replace if-n-when you get to eager to get where you want to go! I MISS DREDGING TO THYE MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks,I've thought about it
    Reed Lukens and russau like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4523 times
    1-1/2" & 2" dredges are a waste of time. The best of the best of the backpacker's is the little Dahlke 2.5. You may be able to shovel faster to a point but you won't completely wear yourself out dredging. Plus you can shovel with one hand, while dredging with the other. Sorry I haven't been on much this month... but we bought a new house and I'm just about done moving in now, I've had my hands full. After 40 years of gold mining, I'm still dredging, still running a trommel, and still having a blast
    Now that we're in Arizona, we can legally gold mine in every way, shoot any kind of firearm and have all kinds of fun... lol. Moving into a new house has not been the most fun but I've got a smile on my face again today, now that most of the work has been done. This week I'll be setting up the little trommel here and I already have 15 buckets of high-grade to run.

You can't go wrong with the little 2.5" Dahlke for packing in quick and easy, then a 4" Dahlke 4B these days has come a long way. These 2 dredges, now that I'm over 60, are going to be my next purchases.
    16 years ago, I bought a new Dahlke Micro 4B that needed work, but these days, they have it together. I've come a long way since the old Tom Ashworth/ 49erMike forum days of old, but a lot of my old articles are still worth reading. If you're going to buy a Dahlke, then this is some good old info, Bob listened to me before he passed away and made the changes that they still use today. He has had great dredges since long before I bought my first Dahlke and his 7" is still one of my personal favorites over 30 years later

Should you buy a Dahlke Micro 4B

I'm an Arizonan now
    arizau, N-Lionberger, RTR and 3 others like this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    18463 times
    Thanks much Reed And thanks for your June 2015 thread on the topic
    wildminer and Reed Lukens like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links