Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back, I was given a 1 1/2" Jobe combo. Slow, plug ups constantly so I upgraded it to a 2" . Sam at H&B made the nozzle. While it moves twice as much as the 1.5 did, it's still slow. Creek gravels are inconsistant, causing lots of rock chucking, but at my age, I don't see me working the #2 to move a couple yards of gravel a day. Since the fires last summer, I may have lost most of my equipment and hoses at the claim, so this year, another upgrade to 3" may be in order. My creek isn't big enough for floats so I'll have to build a stand for the sluice. The HFT pump is a heart attack waiting to happen just getting it down the hill 1/4 mile so once it gets there, it stays there.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Why not build a dredge with a combination of small floats and a set of wheels that would help you get the dredge over rough area's that you would rather not drag it over ? And I'd look for a dredge to buy from the West Coast and modify it to fit your needs ! Small 10/15 gallon black plastic barrels are tough and fairly cheap and EZ to replace if-n-when you get to eager to get where you want to go! I MISS DREDGING TO THYE MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:BangHead:

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not build a dredge with a combination of small floats and a set of wheels that would help you get the dredge over rough area's that you would rather not drag it over ? And I'd look for a dredge to buy from the West Coast and modify it to fit your needs ! Small 10/15 gallon black plastic barrels are tough and fairly cheap and EZ to replace if-n-when you get to eager to get where you want to go! I MISS DREDGING TO THYE MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:BangHead:

Thanks,I've thought about it

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-1/2" & 2" dredges are a waste of time. The best of the best of the backpacker's is the little Dahlke 2.5. You may be able to shovel faster to a point but you won't completely wear yourself out dredging. Plus you can shovel with one hand, while dredging with the other. Sorry I haven't been on much this month... but we bought a new house and I'm just about done moving in now, I've had my hands full. After 40 years of gold mining, I'm still dredging, still running a trommel, and still having a blast :)
Now that we're in Arizona, we can legally gold mine in every way, shoot any kind of firearm and have all kinds of fun... lol. Moving into a new house has not been the most fun but I've got a smile on my face again today, now that most of the work has been done. This week I'll be setting up the little trommel here and I already have 15 buckets of high-grade to run.

You can't go wrong with the little 2.5" Dahlke for packing in quick and easy, then a 4" Dahlke 4B these days has come a long way. These 2 dredges, now that I'm over 60, are going to be my next purchases.
16 years ago, I bought a new Dahlke Micro 4B that needed work, but these days, they have it together. I've come a long way since the old Tom Ashworth/ 49erMike forum days of old, but a lot of my old articles are still worth reading. If you're going to buy a Dahlke, then this is some good old info, Bob listened to me before he passed away and made the changes that they still use today. He has had great dredges since long before I bought my first Dahlke and his 7" is still one of my personal favorites over 30 years later :)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/467261-should-you-buy-dahlke-micro-4b.html

I'm an Arizonan now :)

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much Reed :) And thanks for your June 2015 thread on the topic :):occasion14:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-1/2" & 2" dredges are a waste of time. The best of the best of the backpacker's is the little Dahlke 2.5. You may be able to shovel faster to a point but you won't completely wear yourself out dredging. Plus you can shovel with one hand, while dredging with the other. Sorry I haven't been on much this month... but we bought a new house and I'm just about done moving in now, I've had my hands full. After 40 years of gold mining, I'm still dredging, still running a trommel, and still having a blast :)
Now that we're in Arizona, we can legally gold mine in every way, shoot any kind of firearm and have all kinds of fun... lol. Moving into a new house has not been the most fun but I've got a smile on my face again today, now that most of the work has been done. This week I'll be setting up the little trommel here and I already have 15 buckets of high-grade to run.

You can't go wrong with the little 2.5" Dahlke for packing in quick and easy, then a 4" Dahlke 4B these days has come a long way. These 2 dredges, now that I'm over 60, are going to be my next purchases.
16 years ago, I bought a new Dahlke Micro 4B that needed work, but these days, they have it together. I've come a long way since the old Tom Ashworth/ 49erMike forum days of old, but a lot of my old articles are still worth reading. If you're going to buy a Dahlke, then this is some good old info, Bob listened to me before he passed away and made the changes that they still use today. He has had great dredges since long before I bought my first Dahlke and his 7" is still one of my personal favorites over 30 years later :)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/467261-should-you-buy-dahlke-micro-4b.html

I'm an Arizonan now :)

Yep, I should clarify. I do in fact own and use a 2.5 and a 4" that has sat for years now(2.5 gets used)

The thing is as you know it must be used for the right spots. Shallow good bedrock. I break up..raake chuck cobble shovel overburden etc.

Then its detail the bedrock. No floats just a stand for puddle jumping.

Anyone claiming that you can run more with a dredge that size than with a shovel is showing their experience level...simply by not talking about..????!!!

The fact that you will also be shoveling a lot of tailings as you work upstream....

Or do you dredge those too?:tongue3:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah those tailings that stack up behind the dredge, don't forget a shovel or you're going to be messing about pushing them out of the way with your hands and feet. Fond memories of losing suction to go look and find the box full up to the brim with gravel the tailings having stacked up all the way to the header LOL how long had I been running like that? how much gold did I lose? More than just safety reasons not to dredge alone.

Last edited:

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may be late to the discussion but I’ll have a dahlke micro 4b by the end of this month. And will be doing plenty of videos, comparisons and articles about on my YouTube and website. Erich who owns dahlke now has been great to work with and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his stuff to anyone.

Also a slightly updated version of Reeds discussion on dredge classes can be found here. https://theprospectinggeologist.com/elementor-995/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread