Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    18463 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thinking of getting a "back pack" dredge ,Question

Been looking all around for dredge small enough for a long trip down stream on foot . Impossible to get a ATV in to the site.So the question is has anyone here operated and or owned this model ? ...Thanks
    >>

>> http://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant...t_Code=2004SNF
    Reed Lukens and Goodyguy like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    41434 times
    Relic Hunting
    Just a few observations from somebody that knows less than nothing.

The connecting of the nozzles (switching) where one has to go straight into the tube. Why not have a quick connect there also for ease. (Do away with hose clamp, pulling/twisting out.)
    New warm hose it works, now having a piece of pipe that's cold-I have always struggled as the plastic shrinks.

Is the floatation part the actual backpack?

Besides that it looks like the system is a nice option.
    RTR likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1211 times
    Prospecting
    I had the older design that floated on an innertube.
    RTR likes this.

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I had the older design that floated on an innertube.
    Me too. A little more compact & easy to run without the tube set on rocks. It works just doesn't move a lot of material. No 2" will. You might also look at the Pack Rat 2 dredge. Never talked to anyone who has used one but I have seen one in person & they look like nice units.
    RTR likes this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    18463 times
    Thanks guys

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    18463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Me too. A little more compact & easy to run without the tube set on rocks. It works just doesn't move a lot of material. No 2" will. You might also look at the Pack Rat 2 dredge. Never talked to anyone who has used one but I have seen one in person & they look like nice units.
    Can't find a pack rat web site, are they still in business ?

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    426 times
    They are. The dealer in Anchorage just got some fresh ones about a month ago.
    Just google
    Pack Rat 2 dredge
    I dont see a website but it does say they have a FB page.
    I see at least one youtube video & several sites that sell them.
    RTR likes this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    18463 times
    Thank you Vance

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    426 times
    The Anchorage dealer is also a Honda dealer so they order them without a motor & supply them with a Honda WX15 motor/pump combo & the newest ones have an Angus Mckirk sluice. The dealer says they get nothing but compliments
    RTR likes this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    18463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    The Anchorage dealer is also a Honda dealer so they order them without a motor & supply them with a Honda WX15 motor/pump combo & the newest ones have an Angus Mckirk sluice. The dealer says they get nothing but compliments
    Looking at their facebook account it looks like its 2k (with a engine.pump) and 10 pounds heavier than the Keene 2004-SNF here >> http://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant...t_Code=2004SNF

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Looking at their facebook account it looks like its 2k (with a engine.pump) and 10 pounds heavier than the Keene 2004-SNF here >> 2" Backpack Dredge with Suction Nozzle: Keene Engineering Online
    I know up here last year there was an outfit selling them up here for about $1500 with a harbor freight type. I believe Alaska Mining & diving is selling them for less that 2k with the Honda WX 15. Seems like they were closer to $1800. About $1300 with no motor/pump so you could harbor freight it for about $1500.
    RTR likes this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1211 times
    Prospecting
    From what I understand the packrat comes with a cone type jet which may be more efficent than Keene's single eductor jet. Keene makes a good pump. 2" dredges are limited in their processing capacity and lack of air you cannot go too deep. Good for cleaning up bedrock exposures but for moving dirt a river sluice and a shovel are faster. I have been thinking about upgrading mine a little. My 4" is backpackable if you take multiple trips lol.'
    RTR, Vance in AK, Phil and 3 others like this.

us
    Commercial Diving Company Owner

Feb 2005
    Eastern PA
    Garrett At Pro, MX500 Proton Mag fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
    198 times
    Prospecting
    instead of 2 inch, get a small 3", you will move alot more material than a 2. i built a 3" homemade backpackable one with pool lounge floats and a aluminum frame about 8 years ago. theres pics on here somewhere, it works good and if you carry the engine/pump assy ( i have since upgraded to a small honda clone and hayward pool pump, made by a guy on ebay), you can make it in one trip, everything else is on your back including hoses. never weighed it, but its not very heavy
    RTR and wildminer like this.

us
    Commercial Diving Company Owner

Feb 2005
    Eastern PA
    Garrett At Pro, MX500 Proton Mag fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
    198 times
    Prospecting
    i found some pics, they are on Post #22 in this thread . including one of it fully stowed and being carried

My Custom Mini Highbanker

all i can say, is its gotten alot of gold since ive built it, its running the same motor size but a converted hayward pool pump

ETA: RTR, it has also done good (when im not using my big 4" highbanker) at Contrary Creek in Mineral VA, down in your neck of the woods. it grabs the fine gold down past the waterfalls where it widens out and around that next big right bend
    Last edited by njcommercialdiver; Feb 07, 2021 at 08:23 PM.
    RTR and DizzyDigger like this.

Dec 2012
    308 times
    A sluice box and a shovel moves a lot more material than a 2"............And it's lighter to pack.

Go with a 4" and pack it in..........Embrace the suck (Pun intended)!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links