Questions on an old hookah set up

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I? new to the forum but have gleaned a ton of helpful information from old posts. I picked up some pretty vintage dredge gear the other week. A 3? Keene Dredge with a Copper 5hp Briggs and 14x48 crashbox sluice and a P-150 pump, which has air from an old compressor. I contacted Mark at Keene and he said seals were available for the pump WPS2 and P104 to replace the paper gaskets but no parts were available for the compressor.

Mark said it was an old Teledyne and a post on here referred to it as an Inlet model. It does seem to be making pressure just fine, any source for bearings or diaphragms? Do you think it is safe to use after sitting all these years? I would be in water I can stand up in if air failed. Debating whether to buy an air reserve tank and hose for it.

Went over the engine and she runs great, got her out and dredged for about 5 hrs without an issue besides a couple rock jams. Dredging bedrock is fun! Never know what deep pocket you will find. Had a blast. Thanks for any info! A363A330-84D5-409D-8896-5D8146B33E26.jpeg 44BA1B56-11A6-4C89-B37D-5DA4CA0C34E9.jpeg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If you were to have any problems with the compressor you could take it to a pump repair shop and they should have parts for it! On my dredge that i had for maybe 15 years ,I bought a compressor for it that looked similar to your compressor. I took it apart to check the diaphragm and it looked like it was a home made replacement . It worked fine for many years without any problem. The man I bought it from said he did the work on it and it worked for him but he said he wouldn't trust it in a deeper dive over his head. I never got that deep . I eventually sold all my equipment and gear due to my beat up ole body. and the air compressor parts could also be bought from a pump repair shop. Since your new to this underwater diving . You need to be very particular with your air line / mask / and anything in the air system . Always hang your suction lines to drain down and not laying flat on a floor or curled up. Never leave your dredge/ lines/air lines out in the sun for extended lengths. A reserve air tank is EZ to make from a stainless steel "corny keg" tank that is/was used in soda fountain's . They used to be found over on Ebay cheap ! Try to get the 2 tank connections that are used on them . Sometimes you can find a beverage repair man will have what you would need to get you going. IF you do use a "corny keg" in each of the inlet / outlet fitting's there is a Stainless steel tube that inserts into the tank. Take those tubes out to get more air! It'll make a big difference if you do! Also the "crash box " device on your dredge is great for dredging in clay ridden streams to help bust up that clay that sticks to everything. try to avoid sucking in clay because it'll rob your sluice of fine gold. And OH YEA , Happy 2nd post!:icon_thumright:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And if your air compressor don't have a pop off valve GET ONE ! It screws right into the head of the compressor and you attach the air lines to it! They are adjustable for your breathing air pressure ! And make cleaning your air system regularly a COMMITMENT ! I used Listerine mouthwash for my extended times I needed (Winter)to store it! Good luck and enjoy ! I wish I was still able to get out there !

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, I? new to the forum but have gleaned a ton of helpful information from old posts. I picked up some pretty vintage dredge gear the other week. A 3? Keene Dredge with a Copper 5hp Briggs and 14x48 crashbox sluice and a P-150 pump, which has air from an old compressor. I contacted Mark at Keene and he said seals were available for the pump WPS2 and P104 to replace the paper gaskets but no parts were available for the compressor.

Mark said it was an old Teledyne and a post on here referred to it as an Inlet model. It does seem to be making pressure just fine, any source for bearings or diaphragms? Do you think it is safe to use after sitting all these years? I would be in water I can stand up in if air failed. Debating whether to buy an air reserve tank and hose for it.

Went over the engine and she runs great, got her out and dredged for about 5 hrs without an issue besides a couple rock jams. Dredging bedrock is fun! Never know what deep pocket you will find. Had a blast. Thanks for any info! View attachment 1937654 View attachment 1937655

I'm speculating but it seems to me the only danger to worry about besides lack of air pressure is an air supply that includes engine exhaust. Exhaust includes carbon monoxide and a build up can kill you. Keep your compressor air pickup upwind of the exhaust.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a couple of those Teledyne Sprague compressors, parts cannot be purchased. Pull the head off and check the reeds and the diaphragm if its all clean looking and the rubber isn't shot I'd run it and try. The intake on the top has threads under the felt filter, pry it out with a screw driver and thread in a barb for a air snorkel hose. These compressors put out more air than a T80. A reserve tank is absolutely necessary. I run a corny keg like Russau.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Foe me , I like using the Stainless Steel "Corny Keg" because of it's size and the material it is made of (Stainless Steel) it's very durable and can be opened up to be able to inspect and thoroughly Clean the inside of this Tank to keep the MOLD eliminated. I once saw a full coverage mask that had black mold covering the inside of it! They used it that way until I told them what that black stuff was ! If your not going to use the system for any time soon, clean it out with alcohol and put it awa Same with your air hose!!!!! And keep that felt filter clean !Mouth wash for me is a good thing to keep in your air lines while NOT using to keep the mold at bay!!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to the corny keg because I can open it up and clean it as well as have higher capacity. You only get one set of lungs make sure you know what you are putting in there.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome ! Thanks for all the information! That is great, I actually have one of those kegs sitting in my garage, perfect! Thanks for all the tips on the compressor and details, I was wondering how I might mount a snorkel for the intake, good to know there is something under the felt filter.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
To mount your snorkel all you need is some pvc pipe and a 90 degree elbow and some brackets for clamping it to where you want it to stay. I had a pvc coupling to my intake pipe to keep it low (height wise) while traveling or storing it. and I keep a zip lock baggie over it while NOT using it to keep dirt and bug's out of the system. Keep all openings of your system closed / sealed off while NOT in use.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9171B388-1386-494E-A47F-6F832676FB8A.jpeg 9E6C3D46-1EB7-41F8-BDE6-16CD21A12DE4.jpeg 8B556159-FB05-43E2-B61B-ADE88D291D85.jpeg 80805FB3-3310-4E1E-AA7E-AC36EF93D66F.jpeg 73E3B5AF-0E57-415F-8296-32BFD31CCCDE.jpeg Well the dredge got some gold and seemed to catch really flat fine gold pretty well. Not bad for a first attempt.

I think this is the type of keg you are referring to, just have to get the connections from a beverage supply shop. Looks like it will fit the dredge frame with a slight extension pretty nicely.

I took the top half of the compressor off and the diaphragm looked good to me, removed the four screws on the top half but nothing seemed to separate easily so didn?t want to force anything. Should I tear it down further? Also look like some sort of vent or fitting but not a typical pop-off valve so I will look for one of those as well.

As for the snorkel the inlet did not have threads under the felt but it may be a diameter that a simple pipe will fit if braced, any need for an air filter on the top of the snorkel?

Thanks for all the help!! Sorry, not sure why all the photos loaded sideways.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
That device is tooo expensive ! Any mining supply shop (Keene ,Action mining ,ETC. used to sell them for about $5.00 each BUT it's be awhile since I bought one. and yes that is the Corny keg to use. Try to get replacement "O" ring's for the access lid , spare's will come in real handy as time march's on and parts become harder to get. If the compressor doesn't have a "death rattle" while you ran it , I wouldn't tear it down further ! It appears you did real well for your first time dredging ! CONGRAT'S I still remember my first gold ! How sweet is was !

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
already has a pressure bled valve, buy a dial pressure gauge to set at around 40psi, its a spring and ball bearing type. (in your middle photo)
my Dad had that same air compressor in 1970, helped him put in a new diaphragm he cut out of stock rubber.
also works good for spear fishing, cheaper air hose I use is Kuri-Tec k3150 or K3130 food grade hose that's also rated for air breathing lines.
https://products.kuriyama.com/item/...ies-reinforced-pvc-beverage-hose/k3150-04x100
relief valve and photo of hookah rig I just built using a speedy air compressor
relief valve.jpeg . air_compessor.jpeg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all ready has a pressure bled valve, buy a dial pressure gauge to set at around 40psi, its a spring and ball bearing type.
my Dad had that same air compressor in 1970, helped him put in a new diaphragm he cut out of stock rubber.
also works good for spear fishing, cheaper air hose I use is Kuri-Tec k3150 or K3130 food grade hose that's also rated for air breathing lines.
https://products.kuriyama.com/item/...ies-reinforced-pvc-beverage-hose/k3150-04x100

Although i have never used this line... i know "compression" type fittings should not be used with this.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That device is tooo expensive ! Any mining supply shop (Keene ,Action mining ,ETC. used to sell them for about $5.00 each BUT it's be awhile since I bought one. and yes that is the Corny keg to use. Try to get replacement "O" ring's for the access lid , spare's will come in real handy as time march's on and parts become harder to get. If the compressor doesn't have a "death rattle" while you ran it , I wouldn't tear it down further ! It appears you did real well for your first time dredging ! CONGRAT'S I still remember my first gold ! How sweet is was !

Thanks,I found the Keene one, $20 now

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all ready has a pressure bled valve, buy a dial pressure gauge to set at around 40psi, its a spring and ball bearing type. (in your middle photo)
relief valve and photo of hookah rig I just built using a speedy air compressor
View attachment 1938025 . View attachment 1938026

Nice setup, like the combo snorkel/dive flag.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hoseclamp a piece of felt over the end of my snorkel to keep organic matter out.

Jager32

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2021
NJ/ Phuket
Detector(s) used
Garret XL500
Aqua Pulse AQ1b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would replace compressor, and get air quality checked, use a reserve tank, and like what was mentioned above keep your air intake up wind of the exhaust and check periodically, and watch your hose doesn't get pinned or fouled. I was a commercial diver/supervisor for 43 years, don't go cheap, be safe and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread