OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site ! For this type of info why not ask the person that's currently building them ( Chuck Lassiter) He is on the Indiana GPAA website

I was told he no longer makes them.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a 5", you will need three separate 1" hoses that are spaced equally around the nozzle (1/3). Reduce the 1" pressure hose to 5/8" at the nozzle.

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a 5", you will need three separate 1" hoses that are spaced equally around the nozzle (1/3). Reduce the 1" pressure hose to 5/8" at the nozzle.

Any reason why I would need 3? The 4inch hydro only has one.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any reason why I would need 3? The 4inch hydro only has one.

I built nozzles for my 2" 4" and 6". The 2" and 4" worked great, but the 6" didn't have enough suction, so I tried several different modifications, none of which worked, until I used three hoses.

That said, a 5" may not need three pressure hoses, but I do not know for certain either way.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they have a steel washer welded in (5/8th hole?) then the tube welded over that to the threaded intake 2" or since you say 5" nozzle probably a 3"
to power a 5" nozzle you will need a 3x4 pump 11hp to 18hp + you can go with a smaller pump if everything is under water like feeding a sub-dredge

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
When I was still dredging I wanted to make some nozzles and make the office at inter-changeable orfice that was welded to a threaded piece of pipe to fine tune your system to work together for optimum performance BUT never got around to it ! maybe pass this out for anyone that wanted to try it out !

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they have a steel washer welded in (5/8th hole?) then the tube welded over that to the threaded intake 2" or since you say 5" nozzle probably a 3"
to power a 5" nozzle you will need a 3x4 pump 11hp to 18hp + you can go with a smaller pump if everything is under water like feeding a sub-dredge

I have a 7hp engine with a p180 from Keene, that should have no issue at all running the 4" hydro as it's about double what it needs. So I don't think it can be that much of a difference to a 5" from a 4".

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
gThe idea or using multiple pressure hoses is for on a venturi to keep the material centered in the jet to help prevent blow out on the opposite side of the venturi and then needing to weld a piece of metal in place of the bent /blow out !__

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea or using multiple pressure hoses is for on a venturi to keep the material centered in the jet to help prevent blow out on the opposite side of the venturi and then needing to weld a piece of metal in place of the bent /blow out !

Well if the inlet goes into the center of the nozzle like in a hydroforce then the jet is in the center, having multiple would likely just make the material become less centered as the hoses probably wouldn't have the exact same pressure etc.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're overthinking it.

Build the nozzle and see how it works. If it does not create suction, or not enough suction, add a second pressure hose on the opposite side. If that doesn't work, add a third.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning on building a 5" hydro force type suction nozzle but I'm not sure of what size the tube for the pipe from the pump should be and if it should also be shrunk down at the inlet in the nozzle and how much in that case.
Is there anyone that has any tips on this? First dredge nozzle I'll be building so explain it like I'm an idiot :D

Simplest way is to use a 5" suction nozzle off the shelf then run a 3/4" garden hose from the pump with a blaster nozzle and shut off valve on the end of the hose to where you want to dry land dredge. The separate hose with blaster nozzle will do a much better job of cutting into the dryland and packed gravels than any hydroforce nozzle.

Once you have a pool of water and loose material use the suction nozzle in one hand while continuing to use the blaster nozzle in the other hand.

If you want to build the suction nozzle yourself, then for a 5" suction nozzle you would need a 2-1/2" pressure hose with a 5/8" inductor jet.
I was not impressed with the hydroforce nozzle. Using a separate hose worked best for me, but I was only using a 3" suction nozzle.
attachment.php

If using a separate hose does not appeal to you then here is a design you may want to try.

attachment.php

After thinking about it, I'm not sure you can keep a 5" suction nozzle supplied with enough extra water pumping through a 3/4" garden hose :icon_scratch:
Worked well with a 3" nozzle but had to start out with a decent pool of water in advance. A 5" sucks way more gpm ! For sure a 5" will move a lot of material like a small sized hydraulic operation.

Have you priced 5" suction hose?

GG~

Attachments

• dlnozzle.jpg
    dlnozzle.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 82
  • suction nozzle.jpg
    suction nozzle.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After thinking about it, I'm not sure you can keep a 5" suction nozzle supplied with enough extra water pumping through a 3/4" garden hose :icon_scratch:
Worked well with a 3" nozzle but had to start out with a decent pool of water in advance. A 5" sucks way more gpm ! For sure a 5" will move a lot of material like a small sized hydraulic operation.

That was the problem I ran into with the 6" suction nozzle. It just shot water down the intake hose without creating any suction. Lots of pressure, but not enough volume.

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this! This was what i needed, appreciate it!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the problem I ran into with the 6" suction nozzle. It just shot water down the intake hose without creating any suction. Lots of pressure, but not enough volume.

Just wondering what brand and model pump you used on the 6" ? Keene p350? Proline hp450? etc.

Last edited:

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what brand and model pump you used on the 6" ? Keene p350? Proline hp450? etc.

Built the 6" from scratch using a pair of 13hp Honda motors with shaft driven Keene pumps. I don't recall the model # of pumps, but they put out 400 gpm.

In hindsight, it would have been easier and cheaper to buy a complete dredge, but like most people, I had to do it "my way". LOL

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Built the 6" from scratch using a pair of 13hp Honda motors with shaft driven Keene pumps. I don't recall the model # of pumps, but they put out 400 gpm.

In hindsight, it would have been easier and cheaper to buy a complete dredge, but like most people, I had to do it "my way". LOL

I am like you, would rather build it myself even if it cost a little more in the long run. You just cant put a price on the satisfaction of doing it yourself :icon_thumleft:
The Keene p350 pumps are rated at 400gpm.

Even though I sold my dredges before moving to Arizona it looks like my dredging days are not over as our mining association has just purchased a claim on the Hassayampa River. Looks like I may be building one more dredge pretty soon.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplest way is to use a 5" suction nozzle off the shelf then run a 3/4" garden hose from the pump with a blaster nozzle and shut off valve on the end of the hose to where you want to dry land dredge. The separate hose with blaster nozzle will do a much better job of cutting into the dryland and packed gravels than any hydroforce nozzle.

Once you have a pool of water and loose material use the suction nozzle in one hand while continuing to use the blaster nozzle in the other hand.

If you want to build the suction nozzle yourself, then for a 5" suction nozzle you would need a 2-1/2" pressure hose with a 5/8" inductor jet.
I was not impressed with the hydroforce nozzle. Using a separate hose worked best for me, but I was only using a 3" suction nozzle.
attachment.php

If using a separate hose does not appeal to you then here is a design you may want to try.

attachment.php

Have you priced 5" suction hose?

GG~
I would likely be using a 2inch as supply or bigger, and the 5" should not cost too much. I found a pretty good one that they use for sucking up dust etc that is cheap, only issue is that it has a copper spiral so have to make sure one doesn't step on it.

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so a bit of a new question on this.
I'm planning to go 5" for my suction so a 1.25 in jet size.. the questions is would a p180 work for this? I did a calculation and from using the hydroforce as a guide i think it should, but wanted to see what you other guys say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions