Inlet size for a suction nozzle?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Inlet size for a suction nozzle?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2021
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Inlet size for a suction nozzle?

I'm planning on building a 5" hydro force type suction nozzle but I'm not sure of what size the tube for the pipe from the pump should be and if it should also be shrunk down at the inlet in the nozzle and how much in that case.
    Is there anyone that has any tips on this? First dredge nozzle I'll be building so explain it like I'm an idiot
    Phil likes this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    Welcome to the site ! For this type of info why not ask the person that's currently building them ( Chuck Lassiter) He is on the Indiana GPAA website
    winners58 likes this.

Aug 2021
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    Welcome to the site ! For this type of info why not ask the person that's currently building them ( Chuck Lassiter) He is on the Indiana GPAA website
    I was told he no longer makes them.

Dec 2012
    504 times
    For a 5", you will need three separate 1" hoses that are spaced equally around the nozzle (1/3). Reduce the 1" pressure hose to 5/8" at the nozzle.

Aug 2021
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    For a 5", you will need three separate 1" hoses that are spaced equally around the nozzle (1/3). Reduce the 1" pressure hose to 5/8" at the nozzle.
    Any reason why I would need 3? The 4inch hydro only has one.

Dec 2012
    504 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
    Any reason why I would need 3? The 4inch hydro only has one.

I built nozzles for my 2" 4" and 6". The 2" and 4" worked great, but the 6" didn't have enough suction, so I tried several different modifications, none of which worked, until I used three hoses.

That said, a 5" may not need three pressure hoses, but I do not know for certain either way.
    Flatline and russau like this.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3987 times
    they have a steel washer welded in (5/8th hole?) then the tube welded over that to the threaded intake 2" or since you say 5" nozzle probably a 3"
    to power a 5" nozzle you will need a 3x4 pump 11hp to 18hp + you can go with a smaller pump if everything is under water like feeding a sub-dredge
    Goodyguy and russau like this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    When I was still dredging I wanted to make some nozzles and make the office at inter-changeable orfice that was welded to a threaded piece of pipe to fine tune your system to work together for optimum performance BUT never got around to it ! maybe pass this out for anyone that wanted to try it out !

Aug 2021
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    they have a steel washer welded in (5/8th hole?) then the tube welded over that to the threaded intake 2" or since you say 5" nozzle probably a 3"
    to power a 5" nozzle you will need a 3x4 pump 11hp to 18hp + you can go with a smaller pump if everything is under water like feeding a sub-dredge
    I have a 7hp engine with a p180 from Keene, that should have no issue at all running the 4" hydro as it's about double what it needs. So I don't think it can be that much of a difference to a 5" from a 4".
    russau likes this.

us

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    gThe idea or using multiple pressure hoses is for on a venturi to keep the material centered in the jet to help prevent blow out on the opposite side of the venturi and then needing to weld a piece of metal in place of the bent /blow out !__
    Last edited by russau; Sep 11, 2021 at 06:14 PM.
    winners58 and wildminer like this.

Aug 2021
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    The idea or using multiple pressure hoses is for on a venturi to keep the material centered in the jet to help prevent blow out on the opposite side of the venturi and then needing to weld a piece of metal in place of the bent /blow out !
    Well if the inlet goes into the center of the nozzle like in a hydroforce then the jet is in the center, having multiple would likely just make the material become less centered as the hoses probably wouldn't have the exact same pressure etc.

Dec 2012
    504 times
    You're overthinking it.

Build the nozzle and see how it works. If it does not create suction, or not enough suction, add a second pressure hose on the opposite side. If that doesn't work, add a third.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
    6823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
    I'm planning on building a 5" hydro force type suction nozzle but I'm not sure of what size the tube for the pipe from the pump should be and if it should also be shrunk down at the inlet in the nozzle and how much in that case.
    Is there anyone that has any tips on this? First dredge nozzle I'll be building so explain it like I'm an idiot
    Simplest way is to use a 5" suction nozzle off the shelf then run a 3/4" garden hose from the pump with a blaster nozzle and shut off valve on the end of the hose to where you want to dry land dredge. The separate hose with blaster nozzle will do a much better job of cutting into the dryland and packed gravels than any hydroforce nozzle.

Once you have a pool of water and loose material use the suction nozzle in one hand while continuing to use the blaster nozzle in the other hand.

If you want to build the suction nozzle yourself, then for a 5" suction nozzle you would need a 2-1/2" pressure hose with a 5/8" inductor jet.
    I was not impressed with the hydroforce nozzle. Using a separate hose worked best for me, but I was only using a 3" suction nozzle.

If using a separate hose does not appeal to you then here is a design you may want to try.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure you can keep a 5" suction nozzle supplied with enough extra water pumping through a 3/4" garden hose
    Worked well with a 3" nozzle but had to start out with a decent pool of water in advance. A 5" sucks way more gpm ! For sure a 5" will move a lot of material like a small sized hydraulic operation.

Have you priced 5" suction hose?

GG~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dlnozzle.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	1946715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suction nozzle.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	1946796  
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Sep 12, 2021 at 09:46 AM.

Dec 2012
    504 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    After thinking about it, I'm not sure you can keep a 5" suction nozzle supplied with enough extra water pumping through a 3/4" garden hose
    Worked well with a 3" nozzle but had to start out with a decent pool of water in advance. A 5" sucks way more gpm ! For sure a 5" will move a lot of material like a small sized hydraulic operation.

That was the problem I ran into with the 6" suction nozzle. It just shot water down the intake hose without creating any suction. Lots of pressure, but not enough volume.
    Goodyguy likes this.

Aug 2021
    4 times
    Thanks for this! This was what i needed, appreciate it!
    russau and Phil like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links