Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Drywashing pics from Az.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; L-Rods
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Drywashing pics from Az.

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa
    Question gentlemen (Beth): How does a good dry washer compare to a good recirculatng wet washer?

Don Jose de La Mancha
    It is a closely guarded secret...but their formula for gold is:

Dry desert & no water= dry washer

Dry desert & rain= recirculatng wet washer

Hope that helps Real de Tayopa...both are probably best in the right situation. I think for me, dry washing might be more fun...it's like what do you think is best, blondes or brunettes? Only this is for gold diggins!
    Treasure hunting is more than "just a hobby" for it's become my way of life.

us
    Mar 2009

well, a good wet recirculating high-banker or power sluice would tend to be a little better at flour gold recovery than a dry-washer. That being said I would never use one myself. I have modified my dry-washer to be an outstanding gold getting device. I can put 50-100 5 gallon buckets through it in a day and that is when pre-classifying. I had some friends that bought one of the recirc systems and they used it once out in the field and I have never seen it again.

The first issue I see is water. Where I go there is none. Yes you can pack it in but it is heavy and no mater how careful you are you will eventually lose some and have to replace it when cleaning out your processed material. It also limits how far you can hike in your set up. Most have to set up near the vehicle and hike all of their material back to the road.

The second issue I see is material processing capacity. I can shovel (or pour 5 gallon buckets) into my dry-washer all day long whereas my friend had to basically spoon feed his recirc unit. It would drive me nuts to drive for a full day, find a great spot and be limited to spoon feeding a machine. I would rather loose a tiny bit (if I even do) and process hundreds of times the material than the recirc.

Now if you are talking about processing concentrates that is a whole other story...

Charter Member
    us
    Medicine/Holy Man

May 2010
    California
    Whites MXT, Whites TDI
    450 times

One of the interesting things I found with my Keene electrostatic concentrator was, one day while cleaning it up, (for want of something better to do,) I removed the riffles and the frame stretched cloth under them and found a lot of dust in the "air-box". Just out of curiosity, I put all of the dust in a small pan and panned it down.

Believe it or not, there was quite a lot of fine gold. It wasn't course enough to qualify for flour gold. When I put it in a vial of water, it wasn't much more than a gold colored sludge. It was so find, I never did weigh it, but I guessimated at about 3 grams, collected from less than 4 cubic ft. of concentrates.

I've often wondered if I was the only one to discover this.

us
    Mar 2013
    bullhead city
    whites gm-3
    sounds good what part of arizona
    Last edited by campokid; Sep 24, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2012
    349 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    Mountain Fever is for SISSYS
    elgatodelnoche likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Etc.
    1213 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco View Post
    Are you confusing (or intertwining) Rift Valley Fever with Coccidioidomycocis (Arizona Valley Fever)?

One is a fungal disease, one is a bacterial or mycotic disease? The fungal disease is the one Arizona (and other southwestern places have).

This is from the CDC:

YOUR concern (rift Valley fever) - happens overseas - not here in the US.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/m...ct%20Sheet.pdf

What we are really talking about:

Coccidioidomycosis as a Common Cause of Community-acquired Pneumonia - Vol. 12 No. 6 - June 2006 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC

If 6 of your friends died from it - get new doctors.

Beth
    Beth thank you for getting it right. I have lived in Tucson for 56 years. Raced off-road for many years and breathed more dust than you can imagine during the Baja 500 and 1000 mile race through Mexico. I have race many races in Arizona and Nevada. Those who have live in the southwest for any length of time have had the symptoms and most likely had no clue what was wrong with them.

Do people die from Valley Fever?
    Less than 1% of the people who get Valley Fever die from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    Richard Kadolpf--Gr Holk--John Pierre--Ray Kline--Bob Diffenback--and MANY MORE from the OC 49er Club in OC died a HORRIBLE death from it--again CDC has the info--err on the side a caution as some folks get lucky BUT a dirtnap is NOT a thang to mess with---over paranoid BUT I'M STILL ALIVE AND AT LEAST 6 BUDS ARE DEAD--John Thanx much Yellow Hammer for the exact info to keep them lungs in the pink
    John you must be one unlucky person to have known 6 friends who have died from Valley Fever. In all my years of living in Arizona I do not know anyone nor have I heard any of my friends ever discussing someone they knew that has contacted or died from Valley Fever.

Personally I would be more concern of coming in contact with Hantavirus.

Hantavirus is carried by rodents, especially deer mice. The virus is found in their urine and feces, but it does not make the animal sick. It is believed that humans can get sick with this virus if they come in contact with contaminated dust from mice nests or droppings. You may come in contact with such dust when cleaning homes, sheds, or other enclosed areas that have been empty for a long time. However, only a couple of cases have been directly linked to camping or hiking. Most people who are exposed to the virus have come in contact with rodent droppings in their own homes. Hantavirus is a serious infection that gets worse quickly. Lung failure can occur and may lead to death. Even with aggressive treatment, more than half of people who have this disease in their lungs die.
    Last edited by AzViper; Oct 04, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW THE VIDEOS OR THREAD PAGES

Build Your Own Blue Bowl Recovery System - Build Your Own Crevice Vac / Blower - Build Your Own Trommel - Build You Own Miller Table

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Wear the mask, be safe.. I hear about peeps catching valley fever a fair amount here in SoCal. 2 guys that worked the Red Chispas this summer got it bad.. Ughh. Sucks.

Wear a mask

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2645 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I had it and tell ya......I wanted to die!I know of 7 guys that got it at the same time I did in the same area.I have a very close friend who has it right now and has been down and out for over a year,Doc's recently toldhim he can not be around dust!!Hell of a thing for a cowboy who works construction!!

Also the Dept. of Corrections recently moved the most suceptible inmates from a Central Valley Prison because of an epidemic
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/califor...ry?id=19579850
    Last edited by kuger; Sep 29, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
    lastleg likes this.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Jun 2013
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleDown View Post
    One of the interesting things I found with my Keene electrostatic concentrator was, one day while cleaning it up, (for want of something better to do,) I removed the riffles and the frame stretched cloth under them and found a lot of dust in the "air-box". Just out of curiosity, I put all of the dust in a small pan and panned it down.

Believe it or not, there was quite a lot of fine gold. It wasn't course enough to qualify for flour gold. When I put it in a vial of water, it wasn't much more than a gold colored sludge. It was so find, I never did weigh it, but I guessimated at about 3 grams, collected from less than 4 cubic ft. of concentrates.
    I've often wondered if I was the only one to discover this.
    A friend of mine does this regularly and recovers a powder type gold from the box itself.

Jan 2008
    47 times
    Yeah I had a bad case of Valley Fever as a kid. And the air sacs at the top of my lungs expanded and became thin so when in my senior year of Senior High my right lung collapsed and darn near didn't graduate I was off for 3 weeks as pleurisy gave me a bad fever. Then 5 months passed and the Right Lung collapsed again and ended up in the hospital as they put a chest tube in to help the lung re-inflate. A month later another collapsed lung and had the Pleural stripping operation done so my lung wouldn't colllapse. Then in the following spring my the back of my left lung just tore open and into the hospital for the same operation that was done to my right lung. Now I have matching scars on each side that go from under my Man breast all the way around to the top of my shoulder blades. Made for a great story in the Gym Locker room. Wow man what happened to you I'd get asked and my BS reply was "oh man, I took some shrapenal in Viet Nam,it was hell over there. One day this wise guy young Engineer said,ok cut the crap,what really happened. Doh! I was told by a surgeon familiar with Valley Fever that it is a fact that once you have had it you are immune for life. Also you will always test positive for it forever.

Randy-Desert Rat in good standing.

us
    RCGoodin

Sep 2013
    Goodyear, AZ
    Just bought a used White's V3i. Can't wait to get it.
    39 times
    Ok, which mask is the correct one to use? I get the warnings and plan to dig in the desert. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2013
    Morristown, AZ
    Gold Bug Pro
    56 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGoodin View Post
    Ok, which mask is the correct one to use? I get the warnings and plan to dig in the desert. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I just got some 3M 8200/07023 N95 masks. I don't know if they r the correct ones tho. Way better than cheap paint spray masks at the hardware store IMO.
    Stan
    Au2U

us
    Mar 2012
    243 times
    Randy, I know this posting is a bit late, I too had Valley Fever as a kid growing up in S. Kal. I also got it again when I was in my 50s. Si it is possible to get it twice. BTW, it is a horrible d&mned thing to get !!

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SLNugget View Post
    I just got some 3M 8200/07023 N95 masks. I don't know if they r the correct ones tho. Way better than cheap paint spray masks at the hardware store IMO.
    It should a one way valve at the mouth level.. If so, your good! Gets to diggin

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    299 times
    Prospecting
    Properly, you should be tested to see if you are fit enough to wear a respirator. Then, you are fitted. If you are not getting enough oxygen, you pass out. If you pass out and you are not getting enough oxygen, you die. From what I am reading on here, you are looking at a respirator? Not just a nuisance dust mask?
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors