100_0219.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,553

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the CDC(center for disease control)and enter DESERT VALLEY FEVER has now reached huge proportions and a DUST MASK.at least, is needed to prohibit this ungodly wasting lung munching UNTREATABLE disease-John

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Howdy Yellow hammer, How is the gold. Looks like the ground is still damp. Does that hamper your recovery? Good kuck. Jimmygoat P.S. Great pics.

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
jimmygoat said:
Howdy Yellow hammer, How is the gold. Looks like the ground is still damp. Does that hamper your recovery? Good kuck. Jimmygoat P.S. Great pics.

Yes it was damp had to run 4 times but we got gold. It was as windy as hell out there. that is why I was not using a dust mask.

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Hoser John said:
Go to the CDC(center for disease control)and enter DESERT VALLEY FEVER has now reached huge proportions and a DUST MASK.at least, is needed to prohibit this ungodly wasting lung munching UNTREATABLE disease-John

An ordinary dust mask will NOT prevent Valley Fever. The tiny spore size of Coccidioides can easily be inhaled through the mask. While miner's masks with an NIOSH-approved N95 respirators or better can prevent inhalation of Coccidioides spores, ordinary paper N95 and N100 masks are unlikely to have a protective seal around the wearer's face.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's not get carried away with Valley Fever - it doesn't have a vaccine, but it CAN be cured, and many people are cured by their own bodies and don't even need medicine. (by the way, if that happens, you usually don't catch it again).

I learned about Valley Fever the hard way. After a month long trip into the desert, about two months after we got home, I felt like I hadn't slept in years, I was tired, and had a low grade fever - for a long time. I did go to the doctor, who gave me antibiotics (which don't work for Valley Fever), then a different type of antibiotic, and then another one. I gave up. I went to a different doctor. He, scratching his head, said to me, "You haven't been in the southwest, have you?" Yes, I said. But you haven't been in the dirt, have you? Yes, I have. Have you been in the dust? Oh yes, I said. He gave me (and Roy) anti-fungal meds for like 3 weeks. It did disappear.

Now, there can be side affects if you get a bad case - lung abscesses, and many other side effects. The secondary infections are what cause the big problem. Less than 1% of people get so bad that they die. You take more risks than that getting in your car.

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/valleyfever01.htm

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard Kadolpf--Gr Holk--John Pierre--Ray Kline--Bob Diffenback--and MANY MORE from the OC 49er Club in OC died a HORRIBLE death from it--again CDC has the info--err on the side a caution as some folks get lucky BUT a dirtnap is NOT a thang to mess with---over paranoid BUT I'M STILL ALIVE AND AT LEAST 6 BUDS ARE DEAD--John :notworthy: Thanx much Yellow Hammer for the exact info to keep them lungs in the pink :read2:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you confusing (or intertwining) Rift Valley Fever with Coccidioidomycocis (Arizona Valley Fever)?

One is a fungal disease, one is a bacterial or mycotic disease? The fungal disease is the one Arizona (and other southwestern places have).

This is from the CDC:

YOUR concern (rift Valley fever) - happens overseas - not here in the US.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/mnpages/dispages/Fact_Sheets/Rift Valley Fever Fact Sheet.pdf

What we are really talking about:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no06/pdfs/06-0028.pdf

If 6 of your friends died from it - get new doctors.

Beth

6.5winmag

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2008
hi yellow hammer it looks a lot like rich hill behind you. you must be over the hill across antelope creek. good luck. of course every hill looks like the other,lol

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to play in Arizona dust...it never affects me very much...

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Grizzly looks kinna steep on your washer. Does it work ok at that angle? I would think with damp dirt you'd wanna be using a little less angle until your 2nd or 3rd run on your dirt. Then again, I'm new to drywashing. Just made my first unit and been askin alot of annoying questions ;D

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Jack Hamilton said:
Grizzly looks kinna steep on your washer. Does it work ok at that angle? I would think with damp dirt you'd wanna be using a little less angle until your 2ND or 3rd run on your dirt. Then again, I'm new to drywashing. Just made my first unit and been asking alot of annoying question's ;D
The angle works great with damp soil otherwise it won't slide down it just builds up and never makes it to down the box. The 3rd run I lessen the angle. Even in the summer with dry soil I run less angle. The best way to set your angle is to run a safety bucket then pan it out after about two buckets that you know that has gold in it. look to see how much gold got out of your washer then adjust your grizzly and lower tray angle until nothing gets past the washer. Your grizzly controls material size and flow into lower tray. The flow over the lower tray should look like lava flowing slow over the riff's. After you got the angle you want then install a bubble level on the side of your grizzly and your tray.
Every drywasher is different with different settings mine is a Keene 140.
I also use duct tape on the under side of the tray to increase the air gap for more fine gold recovery.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures, hey I noticed your not using the stock brigs blower that came with the dry washer. I have had mine for 12 years or so and was wondering what leaf blower unit you used and how well it performed. It sure would be easier to move than the keene unit in the remote locations. Thanks !! :icon_thumright:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
Question gentlemen (Beth): How does a good dry washer compare to a good recirculatng wet washer?

Don Jose de La Mancha

It is a closely guarded secret...but their formula for gold is:

Dry desert & no water= dry washer

Dry desert & rain= recirculatng wet washer

Hope that helps Real de Tayopa...both are probably best in the right situation. I think for me, dry washing might be more fun...it's like what do you think is best, blondes or brunettes? Only this is for gold diggins! :coffee2:

Crookedrecords

Mar 2, 2009
well, a good wet recirculating high-banker or power sluice would tend to be a little better at flour gold recovery than a dry-washer. That being said I would never use one myself. I have modified my dry-washer to be an outstanding gold getting device. I can put 50-100 5 gallon buckets through it in a day and that is when pre-classifying. I had some friends that bought one of the recirc systems and they used it once out in the field and I have never seen it again.

The first issue I see is water. Where I go there is none. Yes you can pack it in but it is heavy and no mater how careful you are you will eventually lose some and have to replace it when cleaning out your processed material. It also limits how far you can hike in your set up. Most have to set up near the vehicle and hike all of their material back to the road.

The second issue I see is material processing capacity. I can shovel (or pour 5 gallon buckets) into my dry-washer all day long whereas my friend had to basically spoon feed his recirc unit. It would drive me nuts to drive for a full day, find a great spot and be limited to spoon feeding a machine. I would rather loose a tiny bit (if I even do) and process hundreds of times the material than the recirc.

Now if you are talking about processing concentrates that is a whole other story...

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the interesting things I found with my Keene electrostatic concentrator was, one day while cleaning it up, (for want of something better to do,) I removed the riffles and the frame stretched cloth under them and found a lot of dust in the "air-box". Just out of curiosity, I put all of the dust in a small pan and panned it down.

Believe it or not, there was quite a lot of fine gold. It wasn't course enough to qualify for flour gold. :laughing9: When I put it in a vial of water, it wasn't much more than a gold colored sludge. It was so find, I never did weigh it, but I guessimated at about 3 grams, collected from less than 4 cubic ft. of concentrates.

I've often wondered if I was the only one to discover this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread