N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JACK,
THAT IS A REALLY GREAT PIECE OF WORK.
GREAT IDEAS. GREAT WORK. WELL DONE.
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE METAL BRAKE THAT YOU BUILT FOR 30 BUCKS.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well i wish my drywasher looked as good as Jacks and wizbangs drywashers. mine got a little beatup over the years and ive been given a offer to go to another state and work some land (private land with locked gates)thats not been worked in 60 years. in need to do some tweeking on my drywasher to get it back in fighting shape

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERES an IDEA you guys with the metal drywashers need to test.
First off your plastic plates that are suppossed to create a static charge, you need to insulate the" feet/base legs" of the machine touching the ground then try to take some readings with a meter. By "insulating" I mean use rubber or wood to keep the metal from touching the ground and acting as a ground to any charge.
Then set it up without the insulated legs and take some readings.
Please post what you find if you have the time to do these tests.
Take care guys. an Hapy Huntn

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also , Very nice work on both of these units they look fantastic.

TS wizbang

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frank said:
HERES an IDEA you guys with the metal drywashers need to test.
First off your plastic plates that are suppossed to create a static charge, you need to insulate the" feet/base legs" of the machine touching the ground then try to take some readings with a meter. By "insulating" I mean use rubber or wood to keep the metal from touching the ground and acting as a ground to any charge.
Then set it up without the insulated legs and take some readings.
Please post what you find if you have the time to do these tests.
Take care guys. an Hapy Huntn
Frank if you look closely at my drywasher you will see the lower box is insulated from the ground. Frank I would do those test but I don't have any idea what type of meter to use any sugestions let me know?

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIZBANG,

I WENT BACK AND READ MY POST AND REALIZED THAT I REALLY CAME OFF AS RUDE.
I DIDN'T MEAN TO IGNORE YOUR POST EARLIER. BOTH MACHINES ARE TOP NOTCH!
I JUST GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE METAL BRAKE THAT HE BUILT FOR $30.
I HAVE TRIED TO BUILD ONE FOR MY SELF AND MONEY ALWAYS GETS IN THE WAY, AND I WANTED TO SEE HOW HE DID IT.

SORRY FOR MY BAD MANNERS. BAD CASE OF TUNNEL VISION.

H.H. AND GOD BLESS
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

TS wizbang

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hay, Mikel
I didnt take it that way. But to build my break I used 3 36" pieces of 3" angle iron and two heavy door hinges, had to grind on the angle so the angles would sit flush at hing point and then welded the hinges in place, used some clamps to hold the material between the iron. If that makes any since. You can Google Cheep metal break and some dude has pics on the inernet. GGoooodd Luckand happy building :icon_pirat:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
my homemade drywasher is a blower type and it works fine for me. but ive been hearing that most people are getting away from this type and going back to puffers.my drywasher got beat up over the years and im redoing it and was thinking of building it into a puffer and use a 12vdc motor to run it. has anyone else heard this tobe true?

TS wizbang

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
my homemade drywasher is a blower type and it works fine for me. but ive been hearing that most people are getting away from this type and going back to puffers.my drywasher got beat up over the years and im redoing it and was thinking of building it into a puffer and use a 12vdc motor to run it. has anyone else heard this tobe true?

I think it's a mater of preference If you want peace and quiet you use a puffer, if you want lotsa gold use a blower, no I don't know which is best but I think you can run more material with a blower. I wana get a puffer too! Check this site http://olyeller.wordpress.com/gen-2-photos/

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
I am under the belief blower drywashers move material faster. Puffers are definitely more peaceful. I wont argue that. We all find our own style and pace. There is no wrong way as long as you are having fun and your machine traps gold. =) BTW a little note to those who may consider making their own drywasher. I started this thread a couple years ago. I've made a couple modifications, but my unit is still running just fine. Modifications made: I chopped my riffle height to trap less concentrates. I copied wizbangs idea to adjust the hopper angle and I've drilled out and replaced a couple rivets. Nothing more really other than changing the air plate cloth which is a common need on all drywashers. Ohh, and considering the requests I have had over the last 2 years I may indeed change my mind and begin producing drywashers for sale ;) I have been on many club outings and prospecting campouts where I meet folks randomly. Not once have I received a negative comment on my drywasher. I have ideas to modify the design and put it into production so I may have to eat my statement earlier in this thread about putting them to market.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread