Built my first drywasher...

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
This drywasher has picked up gold so small you can barely see it. I have some wire gold that is very small a couple flakes that are near pickers and about 250 small/fine specs. I also made a custom hood that knocks down about 80-90% of the dust that blows in your face and directs it towards the tailings.

My materials were under $100 all said and done. Made a sheet metal brake for around $30.

Riffle box is 24"x 10" x 6"
Hopper is 17" x 24"
Grizzly is 14" x 24" .....Enjoy, Jack

P.s. I have shortened the chain by a few inches to decrease the riffle box angle.

Attachments

• DSC06600.jpg
    DSC06600.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,550
  • DSC06601.jpg
    DSC06601.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,479
  • DSC06602.jpg
    DSC06602.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,391

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good Jack what are you using to power it ?? How big a blower ??

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
I am running an Echo leaf blower I got for free. Not sure of the serial number atm but I did look it up and it retails for $535. Its the backpack unit the professional landscapers use. I run it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle depending on conditions.

I'm hoping I can head out to the Dale district here in so cal near 29 palms. Our club, the Temecula Valley Prospectors have some new claims and are doing an outing this coming weekend. If I get to make it, providing work allows ...I will take some field pics of the machine and any desert gold I nab with it. Cheers :icon_thumright:

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in the DALE ....I used to be a neighbor of yours I lived in sun city off Newport rd. moved out of CA. in 2001 couldnt take it anymore toooo many rules regs. and laws about everything.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jack, looks like you did a good job on your dry washer.
take care and be safe out there. ron

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maui said:
jack, looks like you did a good job on your dry washer.
take care and be safe out there. ron
Maui,
If you don't mind, I would like to run off on a tangent. Please allow me, Jack... Maui, it appears you live in The Aloha state. What are the gold prospects in the state? (been through there compliments of Uncle Sam in the late 60's) Thanks, TTC

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi terry, some people look at where i am and think there may be gold here but no there is not [ sure wish there was ] smile.
terry, i got interested in this great hobby about 3 years ago and try to read everything i possably can to gain some knowledge but i know the real learning will be out in the field.
we went to arizona 2 years ago to look at some houses to get a good idea about housing there. stay for 2 weeks and had a great time.with the housing market down turn here as everywhere, it has delayed us in selling our house.
we talked to a friend saturday [ he is a realestate broker ] and he said that the market here has turned around alittle [ that's good to hear ].
i am now semi-retired and we want to move to az. for retirement. in the last few years, [ we have been here alittle over 20 years ] everything has gone up
so much and so fast. can't afford to retire here anymore.
i go on alot of differant forums and have met some really nice people plus getting some terrific advise.
any how, enough of my rambling. take care terry and everybody else and be safe out there. ron

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Good job on the fab,now get a good dust mask to protect yourself from the DESERT VALLEY FEVER so you can be around long enough to retire. The CDC website has some chilling info that will open your eyes to this infamous desert dust born pathegine-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS hope you stuck the sealing foam tape under the riffles to create a good dead air space for improved recovery :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Yep, I have no holes directly under my riffles to create dead air space, and weather stripping between my riffle tray and cloth covered plexiglass air plate.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jack, great looking unit :icon_thumleft:

I like the hood over the sluice to keep the dust down.

GG~

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
Jack, congrats on building this fine looking drywasher!!! I just bought a drywasher similar in size to a gold buddy medium from pro-gold in youngtown, arizona. They may be interested in your design
as they are expanding and designing and manufacturing new equipment. I am really interested in your idea on the vacum to drywasher idea. I did think of that myself but don't have the experience to design or build one. Please keep us posted if you do build a vac unit, i would be a customer as I'm about to start working my first claim near wickenburg this month which is dry and has some deep washes. Good luck and keep in contact!!! John B.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice machine !!!!!!! very good job on the build.

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
I contacted Keene to see if they had already worked on the vacuum to drywasher idea. They said they had but it has been years and years and scrapped the whole thing. I guess the door is wide open. I have seen an old tripod backpack washer in an old magazine but it no longer exists either. The race is on.....; :walk:

Bucket247

Greenie
Aug 18, 2011
Santee
Detector(s) used
Many
I don't think "nice job" quite fits for a first time effort, if that's your first home made drywasher WOW!! that is brilliant ! looks great and you even added a (never seen before) dust cover. Jack you got some mad skills there buddy!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
man-o-man the talent in America
that is just sweet

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Been away for a while. Honestly surprised to see my two threads still idling near the top of this drywashing topic. I went up to the "Gold Mountain" Gpaa claim in Holcomb Valley this weekend. I nabbed a half gram of color. Still using the same drywasher. Pretty color up there, its chunky and comes from close to the source. The mountain is covered in metamorphic limestone...I.E Marble. What that means is ancient limestone has undergone extreme pressure and heat and crystalized. Allowing quarts veins to intrude along with Au deposits. For so-cal its a good claim. Elevation is 7k plus. If you go make sure your heart is in good shape. The air is thin.

Attachments

• 1031011929 (1).jpg
    1031011929 (1).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,094
OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Just wanted to add that sharing my gold finds is no sales pitch. I have no current plans to sell any drywashers. I'm just a hobbyist ;D Go make your own! :tongue3:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool machine--nice finds!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread