I want to make a vacuum fed drywasher

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello , I have tried & succeded (for a short while) to make a vacuume/drywasher inspired by the "EZ-Pickens" machine , The main problem is the air used to spin the shaker fan has to much fine silt in it & will clog the back side of the drywasher cloth ( must be why EZ-Pickins) used a shaker box insted if a standered drywasher box , I tried to put in a large air filter from a truck but it clogged after a short time & the unit started to get really big & clumsy , So I made a small drywasher that fits into a bucket & is light weight , After a long hike up a canyon to vaccume some "good" dirt carrying a full bucket gets quite heavy , I run the material thru the mini washer & only have to carry the cons back works great . here are some picts. Good luck to all
mini front.JPG
Sorry I can't seem to get the Vids to load you can see them on you tube if you want (vids from Alan Cook) minidrywasher

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou for your help I can never get the darn vids to load (computer dumness I think)
the clean up.JPG
This is the clean up after testing the mini drywasher , Not a good place to go metal detcting.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you saving all those condors!

That's gotta be frustrating,.. :)

Do you have any shots of the vacuum system? Wondering what sort of drop door n stuff you got going on there.

I just insert link and the forum converts it to utube {I see I have that checkbox selected}.

What I inserted:
[ URL="aaa?v=utubevideoID"]aaa?v=utubevideoID[/URL]

What the forum converted it to:
[ VIDEO=youtube;utubevideoID]aaa?v=utubevideoID[/VIDEO]

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main key to keeping the suction working is to have 2 trap doors so only one opens at a time , You can adjust the doors to open when the material gets to a specific weight . I will post a photo but dont let anyone see it "proprietary"
DSCF2218.JPG
DSCF2197.JPG

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main key to keeping the suction working is to have 2 trap doors so only one opens at a time , You can adjust the doors to open when the material gets to a specific weight . I will post a photo but dont let anyone see it "proprietary"
:o Thanks for that but dang, why didn't I think of that sooner,..

I really hate it when someone hits me in the face with a fact that's so obvious,.. :BangHead:

I don't see much in the way of dust separation, if you look back a few posts, I posted some woodworking dust separation videos that may help with the clogging issue.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure you are not over thinking this?

Seems to me that if you want to dredge dry dirt into a drywasher just run the output end of the suction hose into the hopper of the drywasher. No need for trap doors. The hopper already has a flow regulator. Why couldn't you use the same suction nozzle and hose that is used on a "wet" system and just substitute air into the nozzle jet instead of water? Forced air should create a vacuum powerful enough to suction dirt and gravel through the hose and into the drywasher hopper just like water does. You will also need to add a cover over the hopper to keep the blowing dust contained.

Of course you still run your drywasher blower as a separate unit like you normally do.

GG~

Last edited:

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did that but now I would have to carry 2 motors everywhere I want to work , I worked good at home but too much gear to carry around in the field. Mr. Hamilton if you get it pat. let me see what you came up with Good luck!

CyHawkGold

Oct 19, 2017
The Land Between Two Rivers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Seems to me that if you want to dredge dry dirt into a drywasher just run the output end of the suction hose into the hopper of the drywasher. No need for trap doors. The hopper already has a flow regulator. Why couldn't you use the same suction nozzle and hose that is used on a "wet" system and just substitute air into the nozzle jet instead of water? Forced air should create a vacuum powerful enough to suction dirt and gravel through the hose and into the drywasher hopper just like water does. You will also need to add a cover over the hopper to keep the blowing dust contained.

Of course you still run your drywasher blower as a separate unit like you normally do.

GG~

I noticed a few days ago that this thread had been revived by a very good design. Then read thru it all.
NO, the OP was not over thinking this. Things in air do not behave the same as in water.
There is no magic wand to make air flow thru a pipe without a fan blade of some type in the circuit.
The discharge end of an air hose has to have gone thru the pump. I've never heard of a trash air pump.
A cyclone separator is the only way I know of to easily drop out most of the solids, fine dust will still go thru the blower and eventually wear the blades.
Objects suspended in water are not as heavy as in air so move easier.
Air is compressible, water is not, so when the back pressure increases enough the air stops moving if you are trying to push it.
Water has mass, air not so much. With that mass it can gain momentum, air not so much.
Take an air gun at 100psi and see how far away someone can feel it. Use the same nozzle with water at 100psi and see how much further it will reach.
I hope they have a sense of humor because if they start where they still felt the air, they'll be totally soaked before they can get far enough away.
Don't believe me, come on by and I'll demonstrate it on you.
Alternating counterbalanced trap doors most likely would be easier than a star valve.
A cover over the drywasher hopper tight enough to contain the blowing dust would most likely stop the whole works.

All these great videos have me thinking up my own designs. Love it.

if it's not gold that glitters in your pan, may it be diamonds.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have a good design,but a few flaws, probably the same as why the easy pickings failed. The dirt here in Arizona is hard like concrete, you still need a pick and shovel. You have a lot of weight to carry up and down steep washes,just to clear out 5-6 feet of overburden, and your box is small, you may very well loose 50% of any fold you find.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GG~

Buddy , your mail box is full .

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr Hamilton , ten years after you started this I do not see anyone trying to tackle this chalange , I still am , Here is my newest
version . I hope the vid works.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions