GGs $65 Wastebasket Drywasher (updated)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wastebasket Drywasher :laughing7:

I decided to use two rubberized plastic kitchen trash cans one for the hopper and one for the sluice, that ought to cover the electrostatic part. The riffle tray of course is made from aluminum and I made the stand from a 2x4 that I ripped into 3/4" x 1-1/2" x 48" struts.

Constructed the fan blade from a 6" duct damper (comes with a short threaded rod attached at one end) and then cut it into 8 pie shapes using tin snips stopping at the center washer, leaving the threaded rod centered at the end of one of the blades, put a heavy nut on it and it works perfect! Gives it that nice panning action :icon_thumleft:

Bought the duct damper at Home depot for $3.95 not bad for how well it performs. Went through my scrap pile and found a great mount for it too!

I also am going to experiment with using a perforated (tiny steam vents) aluminum steam diffuser from a discarded grid plate from one of the steam presses at my wifes dry cleaners, instead of using cloth covered screen. Will have to see how that works out, but in my mind it should be an improvement over the traditional cloth covered screen diffuser. You would have to see it to appreciate the design, the steam vents are not holes that go straight through. Imagine a tiny dent with vent holes coming through two sides of the protruding part of the dent. then imagine about a hundred of those per square inch. If this works like I think it will, using, and replacing cloth will become a thing of the past.

Total cost including 3" quick connector and 10 feet of 3" RV discharge hose was right at $65.
gg1.jpg

Fan made from 6" duct damper
gg2.jpg

The arrows point to the two positions of angle for the hopper.
gg3.jpg

The connection to the front of the sluice was made using the bail from a discarded 5 gal bucket

gg4.jpg

Going for the Gold :icon_thumleft:
GG~

Last edited:

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
Re: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher

GG, That looks real nice and looks like it will do the job! Can't wait to see it in person at Gold Basin.
Bunk

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

This LOOKS quite nice. Like the engineering behind it, as well as what seems to be built-in durability. Going to show us results, too? (Hope so.)

Pretty economical drywasher. Would you use for beach sand recovery? Got a lot of heavy black sand beaches here in OR to take that to, with known Pt, Ir, Pal, Os, etc. Might be just the ticket if can be used in semi-wet sand recovery. Usually far enough away from water (except fog and rainfall) to be kept fairly dry.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Would you use for beach sand recovery? Got a lot of heavy black sand beaches here in OR to take that to, with known Pt, Ir, Pal, Os, etc. Might be just the ticket if can be used in semi-wet sand recovery. Usually far enough away from water (except fog and rainfall) to be kept fairly dry.

Far as I know the material needs to be very, very dry. I guess the sand could be spread out on metal trays to dry in the sun, such as a tray to catch oil drippings under a car. I Don't know if a plastic tarp would work or not. The other thing is, the mineral being trapped needs to be heavy, at least as heavy as silver (Ag)

GG~

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Suspect mostly dry sand would work too, but would have to run a test.

Ocean has already concentrated black sand deposits along coast here. Most higher than low tide mark, and probably wouldn't use in sopping wet sand anyway. Just thinking that the black sand deposits here, which yielded $1-2/day in the 1930's in Au, but had higher (sometimes much higher) Pl-Pt-Ir-Os concentrations than Au. I don't think the requirement of material heavier than Ag would be a problem. Ilmenite concentration might be problematic, but just means more common clean-ups. Expanded aluminum should break up almost all the heavier clumps into much smaller clumps, and bottom classifier should do most of the rest, I'd suspect.

Not much use of dry-washers in OR, still haven't figured out why. Electrostatic separations seems a possible modification as well: just add magnet to catch early (highest riffle in bottom section, I'm thinking).

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Suspect mostly dry sand would work too, but would have to run a test.

Ocean has already concentrated black sand deposits along coast here. Most higher than low tide mark, and probably wouldn't use in sopping wet sand anyway. Just thinking that the black sand deposits here, which yielded $1-2/day in the 1930's in Au, but had higher (sometimes much higher) Pl-Pt-Ir-Os concentrations than Au. I don't think the requirement of material heavier than Ag would be a problem. Ilmenite concentration might be problematic, but just means more common clean-ups. Expanded aluminum should break up almost all the heavier clumps into much smaller clumps, and bottom classifier should do most of the rest, I'd suspect.

Not much use of dry-washers in OR, still haven't figured out why. Electrostatic separations seems a possible modification as well: just add magnet to catch early (highest riffle in bottom section, I'm thinking).

With all the FeS2 and Fe3O4 you definitely would want to use a heavy hitter sluice magnet :icon_thumleft:
Unless the material is super dry you should just go ahead and use a highbanker.

Dry washers are most effective in arid climates.
Probably why you don't see them near the coast in Oregon. :dontknow:

GG~

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Fe present but not abundant. Magnetite also possible. I haven't placered there for 25 years, so relying on memory only. Not many sources of water. Platinum and PG metals much heavier than Au.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

I always enjoy seeing DIY/custom made equipment, very nice workmanship there GG :hello2: Ought to be good in the :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks guy's for the positive comments, I have never built a drywasher before.
Being from Southern Indiana not much use for owning one, but planning to go to Bunk's prospector rendezvous in Gold Basin Arizona next month and it seemed like a good idea to add one to my arsenal before I go.

Can't buy one or even see one in person in my area so I had to rely on internet research and online help from other builders such as Jack Hamilton of T-Net for gathering useful info. My primary source for basic information came from Tony's FREE internet Drywasher plans: http://www.coloradoprospector.com/EquipmentPlans/tony's drywasher1.pdf :icon_thumleft:

I also watched many, many, Drywasher video's on youtube. :tongue3:
These were good for starters:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,324340.0.html

GG~

Last edited:

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

Pure genious Goodguy :thumbsup: My only concern would be in the question of whether or not plastic will hold up over time. I have considered a similar build but haven't made it yet. My idea was to build a plastic drywasher for a backpack for its light weight. Congrats on a beautiful machine. Please do report back after some use. Best of luck and much AU to ya. :wink:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Totally agree. Terrific design, GoodyGuy. Whether you realize it or not, this dry washer, with minor modifications, might also incorporate electrostatic and electromagnetic separation of uniform size sand. Might easily convert into wet-sand or damp sand usage, I'm thinking.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For much better air distribution utilize the ROUND barrel botton for you base and then no dead zones from square box design-John :laughing7:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Totally agree. Terrific design, GoodyGuy. Whether you realize it or not, this dry washer, with minor modifications, might also incorporate electrostatic and electromagnetic separation of uniform size sand. Might easily convert into wet-sand or damp sand usage, I'm thinking.

Could you explain the modifications.....I do like to tinker :icon_thumleft:
Are you talking about adding an electrostatic precipitator of some sort?

Also......do you think that the material sliding down the rubberized plastic hopper would pick up the proper static charge ?

GG~

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Not an electrostatic precipitator, but an electrostatic concentrator. To precipitate means to cause to fall out. Precipitation is therefore anything that falls from the sky, usually rain. By adding a strong bar magnet to the upper riffle, you will concentrate most of the heavy iron metals/minerals, while leaving the rest of the riffles available for gold an other economically important metals. Yes, I believe that any plastic coming in contact with falling rock generates at least some static charges. The key is how to incorporate this to the drywasher's advantage. In commercial operations, a charge causes the electrostatic charge, but requires some electronic source. Magnet and static generator (plastic + dry sand) should accomplish much the same effect, without requiring an additional source of electrical power. Then again, that fan is operating from something, probably electricity. Why not use the electricity twice?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:
Not an electrostatic precipitator, but an electrostatic concentrator. To precipitate means to cause to fall out. Precipitation is therefore anything that falls from the sky, usually rain. By adding a strong bar magnet to the upper riffle, you will concentrate most of the heavy iron metals/minerals, while leaving the rest of the riffles available for gold an other economically important metals. Yes, I believe that any plastic coming in contact with falling rock generates at least some static charges. The key is how to incorporate this to the drywasher's advantage. In commercial operations, a charge causes the electrostatic charge, but requires some electronic source. Magnet and static generator (plastic + dry sand) should accomplish much the same effect, without requiring an additional source of electrical power. Then again, that fan is operating from something, probably electricity. Why not use the electricity twice?

Actually the fan is only driven by the air forced past it by the gasoline powered blower. And I believe it's primary function is to propel the off axis weight connected to it to cause an oscillating motion to the sluice much like a panning or rocking motion, and does double duty as a way to even out the air flow to the sluice.

GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You just need metal window screen mesh covering,indian head style a cloth and all the electrostatic charging you'll EVER need is instantly created and for gods sake keep magnets outta the mix-Read Jim Straights great book Following the Drywashers and you'll learn a lot and see pics of the best drywashers ever built-my PESCO brand-copied by everyone and knockoffs-John :laughing7:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
You just need metal window screen mesh covering,indian head style a cloth and all the electrostatic charging you'll EVER need is instantly created and for gods sake keep magnets outta the mix-Read Jim Straights great book Following the Drywashers and you'll learn a lot and see pics of the best drywashers ever built-my PESCO brand-copied by everyone and knockoffs-John :laughing7:

Thanks for the tips HJ :icon_thumleft:

I also have an idea to eliminate the dust (except for feeding the hopper) Why not just throw a clear cover over the whole assembly leaving a hole to feed the hopper? I think I will call it " GG's Drywasher Poncho" :laughing7:

GG~

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First test!

Ran 50 lbs. fine sand with 5 BB's

Looks just like dirty water
dw1.jpg

Almost Finished.....
dw2.jpg

All 5 BB's were found in the first riffle :icon_thumleft:

Next test will be with some of my pickers that I brought back from Georgia and some of my fines from Indiana. :icon_sunny:
Will also try out my "GG's Drywasher Poncho" dust preventer :tongue3:

GG~

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Re: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher (updated)

Cool washer, but without the traditional cloth covered screen you will miss your fines and pin head pickers.. Also you need to add dead air space strips. Fines are the drywashers bread and butter and if you are going to Az you don't want to miss them fines. I drywash Az three times a month trust me on this.

You can PM me if you want my number.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher (updated)

Yellow Hammer said:
Cool washer, but without the traditional cloth covered screen you will miss your fines and pin head pickers.. Also you need to add dead air space strips. Fines are the drywashers bread and butter and if you are going to Az you don't want to miss them fines. I drywash Az three times a month trust me on this.

You can PM me if you want my number.

Thanks for the input Yellow Hammer :icon_thumleft:

It has dead air strips under the riffle tray (1" wide duct tape).....if you look close at the almost finished pic you can see that the material just above the riffles is not being blown.
What I am not impressed with, is the dead air space after the riffle.

I want to use it without the cloth a few times first............. I tried some fines and did lose a little, but would have been able to recover them as I had the whole thing covered sitting over a tub with a tarp underneath just in case. The fine loss was so tiny I haven't bothered to pan it yet.

You really have to see this stuff to appreciate the design. there are just tiny air vents on each side of the perforations and the raised perforations really help to separate the material being ran, air can penetrate the vents but you would be surprised how only teeny tiny dust can fall through and I think that is only when I turn off the blower.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread