Cheap Drywasher?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used a drywasher and have no idea how to make one myself. Does anybody know where I can get one for cheap? I mean really cheap...under $100 cheap. On craigslist I find that the people ask too much and on ebay, they end up going for about what you would pay at a prospecting store. Are there any used prospecting equipment shops or anything?

Also, I hear that drywashers really aren't that efficient. Is that true? If so, is the Gold Exorcist better for the fine stuff?

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a link to view 2 size drywashers.

http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

Theres a link on the top right of the page for another page with more details on the mini drywashers.
The mini is efficent, lightweight and very portable as it folds flat for backpacking or toting on an ATV.
A drywasher can be very efficent once you learn how to use them.
Sampling areas with a small portable machine is the key to finding a good producing spot.
The minis sell brand new for $150.00
The full sized one will sell for $400.00

Just posted this to let you know there are alternatives that are reasonably priced.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get yourself a blanket and a buddy its called winnowing :laughing9:

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
winnowing :thumbsup:,..... :sign13:yeah :headbang: thats cheap drywashing fer sure. But kinda tough to do it alone.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
For the quality build and compared to the name brand corporate machines this is a great deal and one of the nicest looking drywashers too.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a link to view 2 size drywashers.

Olyeller’s Blog

Theres a link on the top right of the page for another page with more details on the mini drywashers.
The mini is efficent, lightweight and very portable as it folds flat for backpacking or toting on an ATV.
A drywasher can be very efficent once you learn how to use them.
Sampling areas with a small portable machine is the key to finding a good producing spot.
The minis sell brand new for $150.00
The full sized one will sell for $400.00

Just posted this to let you know there are alternatives that are reasonably priced.

Frank, I am definitely interested in getting an Ol' Yeller, probably within the next 3 months. They look like really quality machines.

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
If you have a collection of tools and are handy I would say make your own. If you have to buy all the tools, buying a drywasher will be cheaper.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a collection of tools and are handy I would say make your own. If you have to buy all the tools, buying a drywasher will be cheaper.
Oh, it was another 1/2 off day at the thrift. Grizzly's were only $3.

P15115B.jpg

Mesh looks like

rowenta-ironing-board-covers-300x300.jpg

Svverwter

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really liked this*information.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2cmorau, I think you'd really need a face mask winnowing!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some FREE plans if you want to look them over and see if it's something you would want to attempt.................
DRYWASHER_PLANS

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad this thread was revived. I see on the site listed, the Mini Dry Washer now sells for $175.00 plus shipping. Still sounds good.

I've not prospected with a dry washer before. Properly set up, can a person recover small gold, say 20 mesh?

Thanks,
Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm glad this thread was revived. I see on the site listed, the Mini Dry Washer now sells for $175.00 plus shipping. Still sounds good. I've not prospected with a dry washer before. Properly set up, can a person recover small gold, say 20 mesh? Thanks, Mike
yes and since when is 20 mesh small? In my world, that's the big stuff...lol!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin, I know, 20 mesh is nice gold. I'm just pretty clueless about dry washers and thought I'd inquire about a size which might be easier to see in a dry operation. If I were to use one it would be in northern California on gravel deposits which are quite a distance from the water. In late summer / fall the gravel mix, for some depth, can be pretty dry. This may be another arrow in the quiver to deal with all the restrictions we encounter.

Thanks again,
Mike

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone considering drywashing shouldn't buy a thing until they've tried and experienced it 2 or 3 times and then ask themselves is this for me. Recovering decent amounts of gold drywashing means moving and reducing yards of material by back breaking physical labor (hand tools, buckets and wheel barrow, dirt boogers, blistered hands, dry cough etc.) Local prospecting stores and clubs are always having outings, not a bad way to check it out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread