Pigs day in the sun ...

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi all , has been awhile , but I made it out late last Thursday & Friday. Now, I don't really remember when I was last out a chas'n that gold ,.. last Sept ?? for sure was out in the Dale late Dec. , with the family , but really didn't give that gold a run for it's money ,..and so it should be on such trips . But , even a O' pig has a need to run& play hard ,..every now & then .
I work about 1hr 40 min. North of home , which gives me a good hour heads start to my gold fields. So , Thursday after work I headed straight for 'em . I was originally going to a place higher in elevation, but due to poor weather headed out to a lower elevation & dryer gravel ,..it was a good decision !
4 o'clock found myself at my wash , had to walk it right off , look'n for a few places to dig . A ways down the wash, found a bit of bed rock that I figured would do . On the way back up the wash I gave one of are O'dig'n's a look over , ..it was close to camp & covenant for a night-run ,.. if I could pop-out a few boulders & rocks ?? I managed to do so with a bit of day light to spare . I set up the dry washer and dug & stock piled gravel till 10:00 . I did take a dinner brake , but with a hot dog in one hand and a rock hammer in the other , I opened up some bed rock not much more then 50 ft. from my truck . So ,. I had 3 digs to clean up by 4:"ish" the next day [Fri]. Dig 1;O'dig of ares , Dig2 ; bed rock down the wash ,and Dig 3 ;bed rock just behind camp ,..would have to have my game on to stay on schedule .
Friday morn' got a move on and ran the "stock-pile" and vacuumed the last bit of dig 1 . Not that optimistic about it,..but had to do it just to get past the fact this spot is done ,finished ,....History ......well maybe... ;D..!!!

DSC05829rs640x.jpg

In this pic of dig2 , you can see one of my most favorite dig'n tools ,..a O' coffee can ,... :icon_thumright:

A few burdened trips down the wash , I was set for dig 2 . I made two dry washer runs , had Au. show'n in both , but just bag & tagged 'em . The hole was clean , figured I would take a load up to the truck and grab a bite to eat . come back detect the hole and done dig 2 , ahead of schedule ,. well just on .... :wink:
Back at dig 2 , I clicked on the O' G.M. V-sat , and no sooner then sticking it in the hole ,had a good signal ,.. just oddly strong ? Knowing the signal was in virgin earth , and my camera was just in reach ,. I started taken pic's . I was hoping to get a insitu of the "Big-One",..but alas the signal rolled out of the side of the hole and right into my scoop,...very sad indeed .. ;D ! Using the two-scoop method I soon herd the "clunk" of something heavy ?? I peered into my scoop and saw ,..well best as I can describe ,..a turd !

DSC05834rs640.jpg

Yeah ,...it does look like something from a hole # 2 doesn't it ?? weighs in at 5.88 g.

I must say I was a bit hesitant to field clean it ,. the traditional way ,..but traditions are hard too brake so I popped her in my mouth , and after the initial sour fizz , it was so very sweeeet !!

DSC05837crrs640x.jpg

Anyway , ... Pig slobber does have a way to make a nugget just glisten in the sun !!

After this photo session ,I stuck the detector back into the hole and was greeted with yet another signal ,... ;D ,..but of a more common signal strength . It went down as before and missed the insitu shot ,.. and had to recreate it .

DSC05846rs640x.jpg

It was a "turdlet" of 1.49 g. with the same patina as the 5.88 g. piece.

A bit of rock hammer work revealed a .15 g. piece , and a few other small signals in amongst the bits of bed rock gathering at the bottom of the hole ,. I just screened this stuff though the hopper off the dry washer ,.. for pan'n later .. :icon_thumright: Thank goodness it pinched out ,..I really didn't "schedule"time in for finding any gold !!
I did manage to get dig 3 vacuumed up and through a screen & detected,....so much for schedules ... :tongue3: Had everything thrown into the truck and press'n down on the gas pedal by 5:18 ,...so 25 hr 18 min.,... but who's count'n

Anyway ,.. plenty of sun & and a incredible starry night sky ,...a bit of Au. to boot ,...good trip
Blindpig

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That be some bodacious gold BP, thanks for sharing those pics, but really sticking a dirty old rock in your mouth that's a bit over the top for me.

Take care of there,
Gramps

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: A good day mining beats any day doing anythang else and ya just gotta luv that good ol'caliche fizz with a righteous ol' nugget to slober on :laughing7: keep location quiet and reap more as in the desert they run in packs too-tons a au 2 u 2-John

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for sharing. Very nice gold! Thats part of the problem with prospecting, what to do if you get into a good spot when on a schedule. Oh well, everything else in life can go on hold for a while. Important things first! Doug. :icon_thumright:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find!

All the best,

Lanny

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice nuggets. Love to see real Gold! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread