Oh crap, is that what I think it is?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind you, I'd been in a lot of thriftstores today. I've seen a lot of crap. It's 50% off day. Everyone and their brother is out and I wasn't out till after lunch so I'm sure I missed a lot of good stuff. I walk in, swing around a store pretty quick and head out. But I about wet myself when I looked towards the back of the 7th or 8th store I was in and saw this sitting on a shelf:

IMG_1560.jpg

To be honest, I really wasn't sure,.. but I made a bee line, knocking over a few old ladies and a nun. I still wasn't sure even after I walked up and saw:

IMG_1554.jpg

But hell no, I snatched it off the shelf without a second glance and hoofed it to the register to avoid the lightning, tornado or imminent building collapse that was about to happen. I was still shaking when I got to the truck and tried to figure out if I REALLY had what I thought I had. It sure didn't look like it, but then google showed me that thing hanging off should be attached over the plug, which was missing, I was all :hello2::headbang::laughing7::laughing9::occasion18::coinbag::coinbag::icon_king:

So, this is all that was there. I assume I can make a 4hp B&S work.

The question is, do you think it's worth $100?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it. What is it?

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
151.jpg

That thingy on the right, only a B&S instead of honda.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go back to the store, take some donations to grease the wheels a little & tell the person who takes it that you want to talk to whoever is in charge - not the retail manager, but the one in the back - the one who runs the place and decides what goes out on the floor and what goes into the dumpster

Take a bad picture or a small picture of the whole setup & tell him you bought the pump and then realized it wouldn't fit your "box" and ask if they have or saw anything like the stuff in the picture. If they didn't know what it was, they might have set it aside or tossed it. Also they might be able to tell you what else was donated at the same time.

Also wander around the store and look at everything. Absolutely everything - perhaps the widow or kids of a fellow prospector donated "all that useless crap" because they hated it, because they didn't want to deal with it or because they didn't know what it was. You never know what else you may find - books, gear or maybe even a map with an x on it....

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used $300 at least as a good blower that runs hot to help dry out damp gravels--Check out the housing REAL closely as when cracked tough to repair due to materials composition--John

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So $49.99 was a pretty good steal?

I don't see any cracks other than the 4" flex tube. I pulled the starter and the piston moves. Felt like all the fan fins were there and at least the outter portion feels ok. I'll have to find out which plug it takes. I also priced a few motors worst comes to worst and there's a harbor freight parking lot sale coming up. But I noticed it has a bowl carb so I'll yank that and clear the jets. Just had to clean jelled fuel from my lawnmower so if it was that I can manage.

This thrift sets everything out (I mean some of the crap they've put out, they have to have) so if there were any other parts there, they're gone. They've over piced an old train set which is behind jewelery, but underpice things like this. Gets me every time. They also had a full sized dewalt tablesaw and brand new dewalt planer just as you come in the door. Wish I had the room. They also have an old power scooter. Was thinking about it for motor/gears. $25.

I'll swing back during the week and bring a keene photo and ask the backroom guys if they had any of the rest of it. Probably went for $5.

I did pick up 3 sizes of grizzly's if I have to build my own. They were only a couple bucks:

419rTg1O9gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A&B in Mesa had a 151 on display so I took a lot of looks. That thing is huge! My blower seems to be missing a handle as well. Looks like I can get hose there if McMaster doesn't carry something.

I wasn't quite sure about the electrostatic voodoo. Seems like 2 plastic tubs both connected to the metal legs would just ground out. Surfing Utube I found a video where a lady and her son made a drywasher and it's built from what looks a whole lot like a 30gal blue barrel.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt they found much gold in that video. Their material is way too wet. Not one puff of dust from the recovery plate. To dry wash the material needs less than 10% moisture to capture the gold.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good eye. Not even sure the air is making it through the cloth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread