Build Your Own Vacuum / Blower

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks..... I spent far too much on Christmas and will wait to find a deal on the 255. There is no hurry as i am using a dewalt 18 volt portable right now which isn't too bad and i converted one of the older batteries to alligator clips to hook to a small motorcycle battery.
thanks for that feedback.
I'm always out in the abbey claims in black canyon city in a white suzuki samurai so say hi if you ever see me.
Joe

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say hey to everybody. I plan on going up bumblebee on sunday or monday and try some swinging. Can't let those lead bullets, brass casings and small, rusted pieces of steel alone...

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck in Bumblebee.... Are you going on GPAA claims? ( I'm a member)______ Dig all Targets. LOL

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, going on un claimed area. If that doesn't pan out, I will hit some RR claims. Should be a good day for it. Cool and sunny. Damp ground, fresh uncovered hillsides(kinda).

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Joe, I will be with Kaz on Sunday. The 21st, Unless something happens on the highway.
Kaz, Joe is a friend of mine. Talked to him a few times in Anthem.
He and I still have to get and detect together. He has a Gold Bug II.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt,
What a small world! Send me an email of what's goin' on..... :)
Joe

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
No, going on un claimed area. If that doesn't pan out, I will hit some RR claims. Should be a good day for it. Cool and sunny. Damp ground, fresh uncovered hillsides(kinda).

I never worked up there and unclaimed land is great....... That's pretty neat you know Matt.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Joe Z,

I had done lots of checking with many blowers. The blower I used is the best of the bunch in mounting options. Why Nobody stocks this model I do not have a clue. I have a 250 I use around the house but the 255 is a better choice. On other models the mounting screws will need to be drilled countersink of which may make the blower prone to breaking out the mounting holes easier, also you may have issues with the fan blade hitting the screws. Believe me, in the field the vac will fall over as its top heavy until dirt builds up inside. Do yourself a favor and stick with what works and buy the 255. The 255 has a nice flat surface that allows the blower to sit flat and flush to the bulkheads I made.

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
AZViper
I sure appreciate that info.... I went thru all the other models looking for a flat base with no luck. I must have re-read your build at least 15 times......The 255 is the one.

Question:In your first post you said the PB251 was last years model...... will that one work as well with the flat base and mounting screws?________ Just in case i find a used one.
thnx,
Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZViper
I sure appreciate that info.... I went thru all the other models looking for a flat base with no luck. I must have re-read your build at least 15 times......The 255 is the one.

Question:In your first post you said the PB251 was last years model...... will that one work as well with the flat base and mounting screws?________ Just in case i find a used one.
thnx,
Joe

The 251 and 255 are of the same design, just a change in model numbers from year to year...

Home Depot sales the 255 online only not in the store. 255

Just remember buying used sounds good but can be a host of issues as you have no clue if the oil was mixed properly, was the fuel drained during no use, etc.

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is true. Check it out and run it first. There are some deals to be had, and some lemons too.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Good advice on check it out first........ I went out crevicing with 7 year old grandson today and i showed him how to crevice.... he cleaned out a few cracks in the bedrock and then he vacked it up with my 12 volt de walt vac and he got a Picker while i got the skunk....LOL the kid was smiling ear to ear.
my two 18 volt batteries for the dewalt vacuum only lasted about 20 minutes run time each...... i need to get a gas vac sooner or later.
Overall a good day.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone. Here is the info. that someone requested on the fitting and O-ring I used on my finished Vac.

Part Number - O-RPD-G3327
ID 2.75”
OD 3.0” of the inner grove. Not the outer diameter of the O-ring.
GD 5/64” Fits the bucket perfect.

Large Rubber Grommets for Desktops, Server Enclosures and Cabinets

View attachment 729453

The fitting is a 2 inch PVC compression fitting that I cut just before the center ribs. The OD of this fitting is slightly over 2.75 inches and the O-ring ID is 2.75 inches. The O-ring needs a 3 inch hole. Once the fitting is pushed into the O-ring it’s an air tight fit. Using the 2.5 inch hose kit at Loews the fittng on the vac hose fits tight and with the compression fitting ang allows the user to tighten the fitting compressing the rubber O-ring onto the Vac hose fitting.

2 inch PVC compression coupling – Home Depot

View attachment 729455

AZViper
I went to home depot today to look at that 2" compression fitting and i can see where you cut it in the center before those ribs but once you insert it in thru the rubber grommet in the bucket how do you lock it in on the inside so it doesn't pull out when you remove the hose.
I got the bucket and lid today from zoro and it's a very nice item.
Joe

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Joe,

Its such a tight fit that I have never had a problem. If you feel this is going to be an issue you could cut the compression fitting and have it longer on the inside of the bucket and attach a hose clamp to the compression fitting then it would never pull out...

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow..... That was a fast reply. I was thinking the hose clamp thing also but just wanted to see what you said...... I'm also kicking around getting a 3.5 gal and a 5 gal pail just to interchange for a lower profile.
Joe

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will want a taller bucket. That way, you can run it for a while before you need to dump it. Remember, the hose inlet will need to be lower than the intake on your blower, so a 5 gallon bucket will prob only get 3 gals of material at a time. If it gets too unstable from the blower making it top heavy, just drop a small boulder in it after you dump. No shortage of those around, I'm sure.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes Sense....... Thanks!

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe,

Stay away from the smaller buckets and make sure that you install a deflector. The reason I posted to use the 6 gallon bucket was due to the amount of separation needed between the intake of the suction of the fan blade and the suction intake of the vacuum hose inlet. Otherwise you will be sucking up dirt and blowing DUST right back out including gold dust. Smaller buckets are going to cause less amount of dirt that can be vacuumed up before dumping. Once dirt begins to fill the 6 gal. bucket the bucket becomes weighted and will not tip over while in the field. Believe me you will appreciate the size of that 6 gallon bucket.
The 6 gallon bucket is what i received and will take the advice to stay with that as it makes sense

Also make sure you install the 1/4" bulkheads to the top and bottom of the lid. This adds so much support to the lid. If I could I would cut out the bulkheads for you so they are perfect fit, but right now I am dealing with replacement shoulder and I cannot risk tearing up my shoulder.
The bulkheads are a definite and will figure out how you made that jig for the router and will do that...... very good write up you did.

What material did you use to make the deflector?______ then it looks like you put one screw into the intake assembly to hold it in place

I am going to get the complete bucket ready and wait until i find a good deal on a 255 or 251 blower

How about this one for size. From 30 to 250 liters
Imagine trying to pull that around in a wash. :)

View attachment 919463 View attachment 919468

Thanks again,
Joe

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The deflector is made from 1/8" polycarbonate. Under the deflector I used 3/4" oak that I cut into 3/4"x3/4"x cut in to fit the curve of the bucket. I wanted to use 3/4" nylon used for heavy duty cutting boards. You may want to check the OD of the compression fitting, the second Vac I built I used a 90 degree elbow to deflect the dirt downward. Can't remember if the elbow fit or I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the opening to slide onto the compression fitting after I removed those ribs. This will answer your question on how to keep the fitting from pulling out.

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
The deflector is made from 1/8" polycarbonate.
Thanks

Under the deflector I used 3/4" oak that I cut into 3/4"x3/4"x cut in to fit the curve of the bucket. I want to use 3/4" nylon used for heavy duty cutting boards.
Nice idea with the board or nylon

You may want to check the OD of the compression fitting, the second Vac I built I used a 90 degree elbow to deflect the dirt downward. Can't remember if the elbow fit or I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the opening to slide onto the compression fitting after I removed those ribs. This will answer your question on how to keep the fitting from pulling out.
So when you used that 90 degree down elbow inside I would imagine the homemade deflector would not be needed?____
When you used the home depot 2" compression fitting was it an improvement over the original black fitting ?_____

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread