Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Build Your Own Vacuum / Blower

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    354 times
    Prospecting
    That is true. Check it out and run it first. There are some deals to be had, and some lemons too.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites Goldmaster GMT, Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
    55 times
    Prospecting, Zuks, Trails, Casita SD, Geocaching,
    Good advice on check it out first........ I went out crevicing with 7 year old grandson today and i showed him how to crevice.... he cleaned out a few cracks in the bedrock and then he vacked it up with my 12 volt de walt vac and he got a Picker while i got the skunk....LOL the kid was smiling ear to ear.
    my two 18 volt batteries for the dewalt vacuum only lasted about 20 minutes run time each...... i need to get a gas vac sooner or later.
    Overall a good day.

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites Goldmaster GMT, Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    Thanks everyone. Here is the info. that someone requested on the fitting and O-ring I used on my finished Vac.

Part Number - O-RPD-G3327
    ID 2.75”
    OD 3.0” of the inner grove. Not the outer diameter of the O-ring.
    GD 5/64” Fits the bucket perfect.

Large Rubber Grommets for Desktops, Server Enclosures and Cabinets

Attachment 729453

The fitting is a 2 inch PVC compression fitting that I cut just before the center ribs. The OD of this fitting is slightly over 2.75 inches and the O-ring ID is 2.75 inches. The O-ring needs a 3 inch hole. Once the fitting is pushed into the O-ring it’s an air tight fit. Using the 2.5 inch hose kit at Loews the fittng on the vac hose fits tight and with the compression fitting ang allows the user to tighten the fitting compressing the rubber O-ring onto the Vac hose fitting.

2 inch PVC compression coupling – Home Depot

Attachment 729455
    AZViper
    I went to home depot today to look at that 2" compression fitting and i can see where you cut it in the center before those ribs but once you insert it in thru the rubber grommet in the bucket how do you lock it in on the inside so it doesn't pull out when you remove the hose.
    I got the bucket and lid today from zoro and it's a very nice item.
    Joe

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    Joe,

Its such a tight fit that I have never had a problem. If you feel this is going to be an issue you could cut the compression fitting and have it longer on the inside of the bucket and attach a hose clamp to the compression fitting then it would never pull out...
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    Wow..... That was a fast reply. I was thinking the hose clamp thing also but just wanted to see what you said...... I'm also kicking around getting a 3.5 gal and a 5 gal pail just to interchange for a lower profile.
    Joe

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    354 times
    Prospecting
    You will want a taller bucket. That way, you can run it for a while before you need to dump it. Remember, the hose inlet will need to be lower than the intake on your blower, so a 5 gallon bucket will prob only get 3 gals of material at a time. If it gets too unstable from the blower making it top heavy, just drop a small boulder in it after you dump. No shortage of those around, I'm sure.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    Makes Sense....... Thanks!

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    Joe,

Stay away from the smaller buckets and make sure that you install a deflector. The reason I posted to use the 6 gallon bucket was due to the amount of separation needed between the intake of the suction of the fan blade and the suction intake of the vacuum hose inlet. Otherwise you will be sucking up dirt and blowing DUST right back out including gold dust. Smaller buckets are going to cause less amount of dirt that can be vacuumed up before dumping. Once dirt begins to fill the 6 gal. bucket the bucket becomes weighted and will not tip over while in the field. Believe me you will appreciate the size of that 6 gallon bucket.
    The 6 gallon bucket is what i received and will take the advice to stay with that as it makes sense

Also make sure you install the 1/4" bulkheads to the top and bottom of the lid. This adds so much support to the lid. If I could I would cut out the bulkheads for you so they are perfect fit, but right now I am dealing with replacement shoulder and I cannot risk tearing up my shoulder.
    The bulkheads are a definite and will figure out how you made that jig for the router and will do that...... very good write up you did.

What material did you use to make the deflector?______ then it looks like you put one screw into the intake assembly to hold it in place

I am going to get the complete bucket ready and wait until i find a good deal on a 255 or 251 blower

How about this one for size. From 30 to 250 liters
    Imagine trying to pull that around in a wash.

Attachment 919463 Attachment 919468
    Thanks again,
    Joe

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    The deflector is made from 1/8" polycarbonate. Under the deflector I used 3/4" oak that I cut into 3/4"x3/4"x cut in to fit the curve of the bucket. I wanted to use 3/4" nylon used for heavy duty cutting boards. You may want to check the OD of the compression fitting, the second Vac I built I used a 90 degree elbow to deflect the dirt downward. Can't remember if the elbow fit or I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the opening to slide onto the compression fitting after I removed those ribs. This will answer your question on how to keep the fitting from pulling out.
    Last edited by AzViper; Dec 30, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    The deflector is made from 1/8" polycarbonate.
    Thanks

Under the deflector I used 3/4" oak that I cut into 3/4"x3/4"x cut in to fit the curve of the bucket. I want to use 3/4" nylon used for heavy duty cutting boards.
    Nice idea with the board or nylon

You may want to check the OD of the compression fitting, the second Vac I built I used a 90 degree elbow to deflect the dirt downward. Can't remember if the elbow fit or I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the opening to slide onto the compression fitting after I removed those ribs. This will answer your question on how to keep the fitting from pulling out.
    So when you used that 90 degree down elbow inside I would imagine the homemade deflector would not be needed?____
    When you used the home depot 2" compression fitting was it an improvement over the original black fitting ?_____
    Joe

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    Thanks azviper.... I think i have it all down now.
    Sure appreciate the help
    Joe

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    354 times
    Prospecting
    Workikng on mine as we speak. The bucket I am using is a spin style with a locking tab. It's a chlorine tablet pool bucket. Tall. The first problem I ran into is that the lid has a tall lip, and combine that with the offset neck on the blower, looks like I have about a 1" gap to fill on top of the lid. Headed off to HD in a few to see what they have to fill it. I plan on using some mesh screening in place of the plastic guard. The guard on this blower snaps on to the housing. Seeing as how those snaps got ground off a few minutes ago so that the housing would sit flat, I think using some screening would do the trick. I will just use fender washers to hold it on.
    Last edited by kazcoro; Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM.

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    Good Luck on the build...... The screening over the guard is a good idea in case a larger rock kicks up. I can't proceed any further until parts arrive. The hard part is getting the $200 for the echo 255 as i would really like to have new

us

Sep 2012
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kazcoro View Post
    Workikng on mine as we speak. The bucket I am using is a spin style with a locking tab. It's a chlorine tablet pool bucket. Tall. The first problem I ran into is that the lid has a tall lip, and combine that with the offset neck on the blower, looks like I have about a 1" gap to fill on top of the lid. Headed off to HD in a few to see what they have to fill it. I plan on using some mesh screening in place of the plastic guard. The guard on this blower snaps on to the housing. Seeing as how those snaps got ground off a few minutes ago so that the housing would sit flat, I think using some screening would do the trick. I will just use fender washers to hold it on.
    Yep looked at those buckets as my buddy has a pool cleaning service. This is why I went with the bucket I did...

us
    Aug 2012
    New River AZ
    55 times
    I seen that one on craigs list and at 90 miles from me my gas guzzlin 10mpg pickup would cost me about $70 round trip...... gettin close to new. I have another one i am keeping my eye on right now. but i appreciate the look-up

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links