Yardage question

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that depends on the size of the bucket. What are you trying to get at? A Yard of material would fill a box 3'x3'x3' That is 27 cubic feet. Why not try doing one cubic foot and then multiply by 27? Not really sure if this is what you are asking.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many buckets screened to 1/8 material does it take to have shoveled a yard of material?
Depends on the material. If it has lots of smaller sizes, you don't need to move as much material. If it's mostly large rock, you'll be moving way more to get that bucket of 1/8".

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
I have read previously that 40 buckets of 1/4 inch material was a yard of material shoveled. How many yards of material would I need to move to get 8 5 gallon buckets of 1/8 inch gravel.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read previously that 40 buckets of 1/4 inch material was a yard of material shoveled. How many yards of material would I need to move to get 8 5 gallon buckets of 1/8 inch gravel.

40 full screened reasonably packed five gallon buckets = 1 yard of material. Doesn't matter if its sand or dirt or gravel.

GG~

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodguy is correct.

A 5 gallon bucket = 0.668 cubic feet, there are roughly 7.5 gallons in a cubic foot.

So each 5 gallon bucket = about 2/3 of a cubic foot.

1 cubic yard (27 cubic feet) would fill approximately 40.5 - 5 gallon buckets.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand you correct mu50stang is how much total yardage you will have moved including waste to arrive at one yard of 1/8 classified material. Ofcourse it depends on how many large stones you throw into the classifier but my experiance has been on average if I fill a 5 gal bucket with material and then classify it down to 1/2 then 1/4 the 1/8 I will on average throw away about 1/8 of each classification or about 1/4 of the original 5 gal bucket. So you would have dig an aditional 10 buckets of material to get a yard of 1/8 classified material. Again this is approximate. Hope my math is right.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I understand you correct mu50stang is how much total yardage you will have moved including waste to arrive at one yard of 1/8 classified material. Ofcourse it depends on how many large stones you throw into the classifier but my experiance has been on average if I fill a 5 gal bucket with material and then classify it down to 1/2 then 1/4 the 1/8 I will on average throw away about 1/8 of each classification or about 1/4 of the original 5 gal bucket. So you would have dig an aditional 10 buckets of material to get a yard of 1/8 classified material. Again this is approximate. Hope my math is right.

BHP, his original question is a loaded question as we all don't have a clue whats in the material he is digging, but your reply sums it up... :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
40+ buckets will get you one cubic yard. But don't forget, most don't realize that you are SCREENING so you are actually moving many MORE than 40 buckets to fill them up with just the screened stuff. Figure in the rocks and cobbles and you are shoveling 50 or 60 buckets or more. Not an easy task for me and work for the younger guys too! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread