LR2000 Help

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Truth or consequences New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need some help figuring out the LR2000. To date, my "prospecting" has just been wandering the desert arroyos around my home area with my kids. They mess around with a magnet and find a good concentration of black sand and then we sift and take about two buckets home to pan. As far as I know I have never claim jumped. But to be honest, I also have not been overly diligent since more than 99% of the material we collect is leverite (as in "leave her right there") for a pair of 7 and 12 year olds. However, this spring I was given a gold cube and was amazed at how great it worked. I now have a Royal Dry Washer and a gas vac to get a little more serious.

I know there are claims filed in the Caballo Mountains and around Hillsboro and Copper Flats in New Mexico, but I can not figure out how to read the LR2000 to be sure I do not work someones claim. There are a lot of folks out there that do not seem to care whose land they are working, but I do not want to steal off someone's claim when they have a legal claim filed.

If anyone can help me out or knows a good club in that area I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tough to use before this step I would recommend getting blm maps from their office or order online, test some areas your interested in, take the gps readings of each spot and when you find a spot worth claiming you can maybe claim it at the blm office near you not sure but way easier than learning the system. Someone may have better advice. Joining a club is a good idea too. I know a little of the system so if that time comes when you really need to use it pm me or re-post.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start with a paper BLM map ( It will show where public land is) and choose just a couple of sections you are interested in. You will need to know how to describe each section by Merridian, Township, range, Section# also known as mtrs. LR2000 is not to difficult if you know the mtrs language but you can only search one single section at a time. You will find a list of all the claims in that section called the geo index with the status of each claim. I'm not remembering the exact steps to get to the geo index but just call the Blm public information center and they will give you step by step instructions. It's easy, slow,and fun. If I find that there are no ACTIVE claims in one section I print out that page and carry it with me. This way you can at least show it to anyone who questions you and they know you are trying to do it right. Hope this helps. There are some great gps maps that show surface mgt and section lines.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LR-2000 will pretty much tell you where all the gold is. Just look for the section with a long list of older claims that are not currently active and go re-discover it. If the geo index is completely blank, there is probably no gold worth claiming. Remember that the prospecting has already been done for us. Research,Research,Re-search

OP
OP
N

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you for the pointers. I have been using the Google Earth maps and researching old mining areas in the area. Tons of old diggings dating back over 150 years and Copper Flats is getting ready to start up production again. I am stuck in Maryland for another month, so I will order the BLM maps and see what I can do until I get home.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nmhunter,
get ahold of Tim C in these forums. He is the expert on the LR2000. Plus someplace on one of the other forums I believe it is in the first forum listed in here Terry C, Tim's brother also has a posted guide line for the LR2000. This should help ya out.

BH Prospector

OP
OP
N

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks BH I will send him a message and look for Terry's post. I confirmed that the Townships are 15s and 16s and that the Range is 6w but I still get blank reports despite the fact that the Copper Flats mine is starting back up. I also found an old post from someone called "Bedrock Bob" that says he has a claim in that area. Wish it was easier to respect others claims :(

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth i have the same feeling of not wanting to be on somebody elses claim and the LR2000 is really confusing to me but i ran across something called USGOLDMAPS.COM .... New Mexico Gold Maps
for $24.95 this thing does a pretty good job for me and maybe you can get this info free somewhere but i feel pretty confident with this package... (No I don't know the owner or affiliated in any way) I just simply like it. I tried the thirty day free trial with the instant download and purchased it the next day..... The one i have is for the home computer but i think they have one for a hand held gps (not sure). I contacted them and was concerned about it getting old and they said it was updated a few times a year and this program utilizes Google Earth
Hope this helps.:icon_thumleft:
Joe

This is a pic from my computer of my area in new river arizona (the "Old Mine Pushpin" is from me that i put there)
gold map 2.png

Main page with pics
America's Most Popular Gold Maps for the Serious Gold Prospector

New Mexico Gold Maps

Attachments

• gold maps.png
    gold maps.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minecache is another source that uses google earth. I believe it cost $30 a year and is updated several times a year. I don't use any of these programs since I have the claims I want but they both maybe worth checking into on a trial basis.

OP
OP
N

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had seen advertisements for something similar to those sites but I haven't read any reports about how accurate and up to date they are. Those pics look great though and the piece of mind is well worth the $25 to $30.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had seen advertisements for something similar to those sites but I haven't read any reports about how accurate and up to date they are. Those pics look great though and the piece of mind is well worth the $25 to $30.
Hunter, ALL those "pay to look" places get their info from the SAME PLACE.... the LR2000. Give TimC a PM. He will gladly talk you through the exact process by which you can get all that info in an up-to-date format.... and it won't cost you a dime!Have your computer on when you call.... he will light up his... and you will learn from (in my opinion) the best teacher of such method that I know. It is also my opinion that he can do things with the LR2000 page that the people that put the page together are (were) unaware that could be done. All it will cost you is time... time on the phone to talk to Tim. Just to learn the process puts you way ahead of others. Call him. Tim is in AZ so I don't think he will physically walk you through the process of staking a claim but he has done just that for others.... even making up the claim stakes and mapping out where they should be placed. Without causing his head to swell, I will say, he is good at this! Give him a call. Incidently, the posts I did on how to do the claim-work came from his instruction on how to do the filing. TTC

OP
OP
N

nmhunter

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Terry. Looking forward to talking with TimC. I printed out what I have from the LR2000 showing no active claims and down loaded the trial version of minecache. That shows several old claims, but no active claims in the area I prospect. I get to leave the DC area in exactly 1 month and should be home on 6-22. Hopefully I will be able to find an area worth staking a claim. A ton of placers have been removed from that area so I know there is more waiting for me :)

For now I feel pretty secure that the area is open.

I also want to personally thank you for your service and for everything you are doing for Alex

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Terry. Looking forward to talking with TimC. I printed out what I have from the LR2000 showing no active claims and down loaded the trial version of minecache. That shows several old claims, but no active claims in the area I prospect. I get to leave the DC area in exactly 1 month and should be home on 6-22. Hopefully I will be able to find an area worth staking a claim. A ton of placers have been removed from that area so I know there is more waiting for me :)

For now I feel pretty secure that the area is open.

I also want to personally thank you for your service and for everything you are doing for Alex
Thank you, Hunter, for the thank you. I got the first TY at The Wall in '93. From a fella that was not yet born when I served in Vietnam. A very moving moment, indeed! Now, the guys and gals here have pushed the number over the top! I can nolonger remember the number. Alex is special. That is to say, he is an Army brat! Daddy is in the service, currently, at Fort Irwin. My hat comes off to Alex's dad and all the other service personel that are prepared to give it all, if need be, for this greatest of countries. I know Dad's name but never asked permission to say what it is.... sorry. Alex and I will go on a gold adventure soon! Take care, Hunter. Terry

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunter, here are the two posts that I authored. They should help. But.... the best way to learn the LR2000 is PM Tim and get his phone number. Really. These posts don't say it all but will give you a great jump-start. TTC

[h=2]One way to use the LR2000 and county sites for research[/h]
Here is a real quick way to use the LR2000 page AND Yavapai county AZ webpage for researching a claim. Say, you are cruising around and see one of those yellow claim markers. On the placard is the owner's name, Jack Tucker. The claim name is Devil's Hideout. You want to contact the owner and see if you can get permission to look for gold on his claim. You also want to check out the claim to see if the claim is active or closed. If closed, it is possible that you may claim it as your own! Let's try it. Jack and Lisa Tucker are the caretakers at the Stanton, AZ LDMA camp. They were the owners of the Miner's Creek prospecting shop in Wickenberg, AZ. It is now under new management. We will now use the name Jack Tucker to search the PUBLIC RECORDS of Yavapai county and then the BLM LR2000 page to learn the names and locations of Mr.Tucker's claims. He has MANY. First, this yellow claim marker is in section 36, just north of the Stanton camp. That will also be in Township 10N and Range 5W. Go to Google. Put "Yavapai" in the search box and you will get choices that include Yavapai county recorder. It will say "disclaimer" somewhere in the discription. Click on that site. Bookmark it, you will probably use it again. On the disclaimer site, click "I acknowledge" at the bottom. You will be directed to the "search document" site. On the right side of the page "UNCLICK" search all types box. Choices will show up. Scroll down and click on "notice of location". Now, find the date range on the page and change the "1876" to something like 1960 or so. Then go to GRANTOR (not grantee) box and enter "TUCKER,JACK". No spaces. Hit search. You will get MANY results listed for Jack. Scroll down the list until you find the claim named "Devil's hideout". You will know you are at the right claim because in that space you will see it is in section 36, and township 10N and Range 5W. At the very right top of that space are the words "view image". Click on that. You will be sent to the actual photostat copies of the two pages Jack filed with the county (plus other info). On page two will be the diagram that he drew up showing the exact location of the claim in the section (36). You will have to click on that little "minus" sign to get the pages to fit on the screen. You can now use the Section, Town, and Range (and claim name) to see if Jack is up-to-date on his maintainance fees. In other words, is he current or "delinquent". If delinquent, you MAY be able to OWN this claim. Digest and try this info so far and I'll get to the LR2000 page next. These websites are PUBLIC INFO. Use them to your delight! TimC can do MANY things on these webpages! The above suggested research info is only one of many tools you can try out. (NOTE: This write-up is NOT permission to prospect on Jack's claim, just instruction on how to research a claim name.) TTC

Navigating the LR2000 page... instructions

A long post... save it to your desktop for later reading:
Here's how I use the LR2000 page for research. Like I've said before, TimC is the EXPERT. I've learned this process from him.
GOOGLE up LR2000 (bookmark it) You will be directed to the BLM LR2000 home page.
Click RUN REPORTS. You will get a page that gives several choices.
Scroll down to PUB MC GEO REPORT (my caps).
Click on that choice (Pub MC Geo Report) . You will be directed to more choices.
Check Meridian Township Range Section.
Click Select Criteria box (at bottom of page). You have the page... Mandatory Criteria.
Click Set (Admin State). You now have a list of states. I will highlight AZ for instructional purposes.
Click Set (case disposition). Now I will select ACTIVE and CLOSED (only) on this page. You may select Active and closed if you like by dragging the cursor over both or hold down the CTRL key and click on both.
Click on Set Meridian Township Range Section. First click on Meridian. I will click in 14 - Gila-salt River Mer(for instruction).
Click on Township box and insert "10" for now.
Move right to find "direction" (any). Click here and select NORTH.
Move to Range box and enter "5". Move to direction and add WEST.
In the Section box add "23".
Move to "Add to MTR" (Meridian Township Range) box. It is highlighted in Forest green. When you click it, the info you added above will show up in the larger box below. Mine shows up as "14 0100N 0050W 023".
Click Run Report at the bottom of the page.
Your choices will show up and a box will show up with the choices you made.
Click "OK".
Now, your screen will seem to go blank for awhile (look on the URL line above)... the site is "crunching" your choices.
Several seconds later (be patient) a box will show up saying something like "Query in progress.Please wait...".
Several seconds later VIOLA! You get a list of the ACTIVE and CLOSED claims in section 23 above Stanton, AZ! There are more than 1 page of listings (see the 1 of ? top right?).
Click on the PAGE DOWN function AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE (not your PGDN/PAUSE key).
Now you will see that there are 5 pages to look at and play with. The CASE TYPE number(s) mean 384101=lode and 384201=placer. The reason section 23 has MANY more lode claims than placer is because it is a VERY rugged piece of land. Placers are more prevelent south of Stanton. Now, swap out the section numbers for other areas around Stanton to see what you get. Plug the claim name and/or owner name into the Yavapai County, AZ website I listed in another post to see exactley where they are located. A long post, to be sure! Save it to your desktop till you are comfortable with the searches. MANY more types of searches are possible using these two tools. I hope I did these instructions right. ENJOY! TTC

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry,
That's pretty neat instructions..... I'm going to print it out and see if i can do it. I like learning new stuff and thanks for posting it.
Joe

Update: took me about twenty minutes to figure it out and it worked perfectly. Thanks for that info as it can sure be useful.
Is there a way to get that info to show up on say "Google Earth" or some county map or just transfer the numbers myself to a topo map and go from there?

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
That's pretty neat instructions..... I'm going to print it out and see if i can do it. I like learning new stuff and thanks for posting it.
Joe

Update: took me about twenty minutes to figure it out and it worked perfectly. Thanks for that info as it can sure be useful.
Is there a way to get that info to show up on say "Google Earth" or some county map or just transfer the numbers myself to a topo map and go from there?
Google-up PLSS. Near the top of that page is a "box" that has the acronym PLSS in it. click on that PLSS. The place you are now at can be added to your copy of Google Earth. Again... TimC knows how to add this funtion to Google Earth. It is called "survey". I only know the Arizona instructions. Other states have this stuff but AZ is more "user friendly" than most states. TTC

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
I googled PLSS and i clicked on this one PLSS in Google Earth It sure looks doable with a good thorough reading. I will be gone for a few days and can't do it right now but when i do i will post here.
Thanks a whole bunch.
Joe

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This link will take you to a downloadable PLSS file that you open in Google Earth.
PLSS (MapServer)

Near the top of the page, click on the "Google Earth" link.

Save that file to your computer and open it in GE.

It will project the PLSS grid over the landscape.

Now all you have to do is check/un-check, the PLSS box and you will always know what TRS you're looking at.
It does require an internet connection to view the PLSS grid.

Also, when using LR2000 you can search by township and range only. That way you get results for all claims in that township.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome SpecJet thanks for contributing so much in your first post! The internet at it's best!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread