Gold in desert washes

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I shovel down to bedrock and don't fool with flood gold. It has been non existent in areas I work with dry washers in the Picketpost Mountain, Goldfield Mountains, and Superstition Mountain areas. When a gusher comes along, everything gets classified right quickly. Once on bedrock I will hammer and chisel it mercilessly to get into all the cracks. I really need to make another blower vac as they are the handiest piece of kit I have ever seen.
Most publications state that arid regions don't receive enough rain to produce consistent flows through washes/arroyos to classify materials. These infrequent yet violent flash floods throw even the heaviest materials everywhere(including gold) hence digging down to bedrock in these areas may not be worth the effort. Now I sure don't believe everything I read and would take the experience of a seasoned prospector over anything written in some book. Could you elaborate a bit more on this subject....Thanks

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All my books arrive today to add to my other books, but not before I read them. I had thought that when I saw the first book I bought online with Jim's signature it was a great find but the other books are signed as well.

Successful Drywashing Book says, "May all your drywashing adventures be successful, Jim Straight"

T273.jpg

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Diggins: " When looking for gold bearing water influenced features in the desert Southwest you will have much more success studying the detrital semi alluvial fans so present in the southwestern deserts. Often the detrital clasts are mistaken for river gravels. These are the source of much of the placer gold concentrations to be found in this arid environment. A wise prospector would study in place deposition and deflation concentrations as well. These latter deposits tend to be small but very rich. Perfect for the small scale prospector/miner."

I have never heard or read about "deflation concentrations", and when it comes to geology I am usually wrong when I assume I understand something. Could you tell me what a deflation concentration is? I hope I don't sound flippant...I'm truly ignorant, and I don't want to miss an opportunity to find more
gold.
:dontknow:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tonto a deflation concentration is a wind placer. Sometimes known as an Eolian or Aeolian placer. They tend to be small and are found in arid regions in areas of gentle or no slope.

Eolian placers can be rich sources of gold for small miners but have virtually no interest for larger mining operations. They are fairly common in some areas of the desert southwest, Australia and Siberia. They are sometimes accompanied by "desert pavement" surfaces. You are unlikely to ever see one in areas of rainfall greater than 10 inches per year on average.

I hope that helps your understanding?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

3 part series, click the next one at the top of the recommended list on the right

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Digger: It certainly does. As soon as you mentioned eolian placer, I knew what you were talking about. I just never heard the term deflation concentration before. If I could get a glossary of all the geological terms in use, I'd buy it just so I could learn the lingo. It's a "whole 'nother language". Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread