Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: getting better recovery on keene 151

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dan Gamache

Aug 2013
    East Mesa, Arizona
    Garrett Deepseeker ADS
    115 times
    Prospecting
    I am thinking of putting a plexi or lexan shield over my DW riffle tray to keep from throwing dust. It would be like an upside down u and would start just below where the dirt feeds into the top riffle and extend slightly past the end of the riffle tray. Any comment pro or con on this?

When running my DW I try to classify down to one eighth of an inch.

us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, F19 and the Falcon
    1256 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by elgatodelnoche View Post
    I am thinking of putting a plexi or lexan shield over my DW riffle tray to keep from throwing dust. It would be like an upside down u and would start just below where the dirt feeds into the top riffle and extend slightly past the end of the riffle tray. Any comment pro or con on this? When running my DW I try to classify down to one eighth of an inch.
    Interesting idea and should be an easy experiment just to see what happens. As far as dry classifying down to 1/8, I admire your dedication
    Last edited by Hard Prospector; Jul 25, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

Mar 2014
    western us
    minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
    50 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I used a dust shield on my big dry washer, I made hoops then covered them with clear plastic, it worked well. the height of the hoops were 8" above the sluice. there has to be some space for dirt lift. if that makes much since? if the air space that is under cover is to low it will cause the cloth to plug quicker.
    hard prospector: your right, if you know the average size of gold in the area your working then classify to 1/4", this allows for better feed and recovery. if you have nuggets then bank run everything. detect your over size piles and the tailings piles just incase there was a surge across the sluice.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4121 times
    I made a "drywasher poncho" to keep the dust contained on mine. Basically a clear plastic tarp with a retangular hole in the middle to fasten around the hopper. It drapes from the hopper all the way around the drywasher all the way to the ground. Easy to make and works great. Is held on to the hopper by spring clamps. On windy days put rocks on top of the bottom skirt to hold in place. If it's real windy you dont need to use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_20280.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1028373

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Jul 26, 2014 at 07:20 AM.

Mar 2014
    western us
    50 times
    another good mod: on the keene 151 dw the removable sluice tray always gets dirt between the tray and blower box. to fix this put weather stripping along the edge of the sluice against the blower box, that will stop the dirt and make the tray easier to remove.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10515 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodoconnor View Post
    Kevin, get Jim staights "Follow the Drywashers". Very comprehensive. Read it 2 or 3 times . He answers every question. G/L
    Quote Originally Posted by prospect007 View Post
    kevin thanks. ive been dry washing for 20 years, jim straight was going to use my big dry washer (backhoe fed)In one of his books, don't know if he did though. these mods are from experience, not just theory.
    Ok guys, I'm confused...my wife got Follow The Drywashers for me for my birthday and it seems to be focused on metal detecting. Is this really the right book for me to learn about Drywashing?

us
    Mar 2012
    1640 times
    Yes Kevin. It is focused on MD but has a huge amount of info on DWing. It is the best source of DW information. Read it a couple of times. Not trying to give you a bum steer. Have you done any DW yet?. Don't forget to bring along a MD to hit your piles for the big ones that may hve grizzled off.G/L

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10515 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodoconnor View Post
    Yes Kevin. It is focused on MD but has a huge amount of info on DWing. It is the best source of DW information. Read it a couple of times. Not trying to give you a bum steer. Have you done any DW yet?. Don't forget to bring along a MD to hit your piles for the big ones that may hve grizzled off.G/L
    ok, great, I do see that some of the chapters are focused on Drywashing

...and no I have practiced setting the machine up but have not been able to try it out yet. Maybe this weekend, otherwise it will be late Aug due to other commitments. Sure is hard to have a great piece of gear and a spot to try it out...and have to wait!

Mar 2014
    western us
    50 times
    hey kevin, did you make it out dry washing?

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    I have found that you cannot level a drywasher using a level. Most importantly is to watch how the dirt is flowing over the riffles and out the end. If you level it dirt will run down one side. Also 15 degrees on the riffle box appears to be the optimum angle, but this is going to vary on motor speed, flow rate, size of material, etc. Just my two cents...
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by azblackbird View Post
    I was always under the assumption that 40 (5 gallon buckets) equal a yard of dirt.
    1 yard is 27 cubic feet
    1 – 5 gallon bucket holds .668 cubic ft.
    12 – full five gallon buckets equals 8 cubic feet
    36 – full five gallon buckets equals 24 cubic feet.

The remaining 3 cubic feet then can be calculated, .668 x 4.5 buckets equals 3.006 cubic feet.
    Bottom line it takes 40 full 5 gallon buckets to equal 1 yard. Because dirt and rock is not going to fill all the voids within the bucket you most likely after digging 40 - 5 gallon buckets will not have dug 1 yard of dirt and rock. The rounded correct answer would be, 1 yard equals 40.395 five gallon buckets.
    Last edited by AzViper; Aug 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10515 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by prospect007 View Post
    hey kevin, did you make it out dry washing?
    Nope, we've been getting loads of rain so no way yet. Usually it dries out here in late Aug and early Sept so I'm still hoping for a shot at it before winter. Very wet year here this year

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10515 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    1 yard is 27 cubic feet 1 – 5 gallon bucket holds .668 cubic ft. 12 – full five gallon buckets equals 8 cubic feet 36 – full five gallon buckets equals 24 cubic feet. The remaining 3 cubic feet then can be calculated, .668 x 4.5 buckets equals 3.006 cubic feet. Bottom line it takes 40 full 5 gallon buckets to equal 1 yard. Because dirt and rock is not going to fill all the voids within the bucket you most likely after digging 40 - 5 gallon buckets will not have dug 1 yard of dirt and rock. The round correct answer would be, 1 yard equals 40.395 five gallon buckets.
    Or in real life with loose packed, not quite full buckets, and easy to remember '50'.

us
    Mar 2012
    1640 times
    Hey Kevin , the absolute ,most important thing to remember when D/Wing is dry. If your material is even slightly damp it really affects recovery. There are a lot of things that can be done to dry the dirt but how many times do you want to handle the material.G/L
    Goodyguy likes this.

us

Sep 2012
    2184 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Or in real life with loose packed, not quite full buckets, and easy to remember '50'.
    Kevin in real life I just want to remember 40 cause hauling 40 buckets is a bit*h... up or down the hill.
    Goodyguy likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links