The "Gold Drum"

Gold-drum

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
20140215_130135.jpg Yes, Home Depot mixer and I make the basket and drum ring :)

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried contacting Gold drum via PM to see if he's in the business of fabricating these things (I'm at least interested in the center basket classifier) anyways that was a few days ago and no reply. Could be he's in the diggins and out of cell service or struck it rich and moved on in life..... I'm sure he'l show up around here some day

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard Prospector, you can go to most metal shops that have a CNC plasma cutter and have the outer ring cut from 1/4" plate cause this edge is going to take a beating. Once you remove the cone from the drum measure the ID of the drum and have the ring cut to the ID, then have the next cut 1" smaller so that you have a ring. Tack weld the ring in a number of locations around the ring.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for that Keith and BTW, hope the shoulder over-haul is still holding up the way it should.
Take care and good to hear from you.....Rob

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this is an old thread but I was just looking around and came across it and thought I would add my 2 dwt.

I would put a classifying sluice like a high banker at the outfall of this thing..... The amount of fine gold loss is astonishing....

Mcromano20

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool idea

Just a crazy thought....I was thinking about how the gold would settle or would it walk up the side of the material on the bottom. Made me think of how a spiral gold wheel works. All the gold settles to the bottom, and only walks up due to the spirals catching it. Which led me to further think....what if,,,WHAT IF....the back of this drum instead of being smooth, had spirals just like the spiral wheel concentrator? The combination of the classifying action and a spiral gold wheel is what I see here. Would take a bit of tweeking, but Ill bet it would work.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last year I bought a portable electric cement mixer from Home depot. The only time I use it is when I need to break down lots of caliche before drywashing. The 110v-1/2hp motor runs well on a small generator and one guy can move in around with out the assistance of 3 well fed gorillas. Tossing in a couple of bowling ball sized chunks of iron stone or granite really does a number on the caliche. When the consistency looks right, I just dump the drum of reduced material into a mortar tub (sometimes a wheel barrow) and drag or push it over to the drywasher and start a run.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be better if it agitated left and right 1/3 of a turn like a clothes washing machine I believe, because the gold could just settle to the bottom instead of being constantly churned up to the top. Looks like a good idea but his new one using the washer into a sluice looks great :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=X-MLlI_MIY8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread