Leaf Blower for Dry Washer

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just bought a Keene 140. Thought their blower pack was real expensive. Need to find a good leaf blower to match it with. Any suggestions? Would like to avoid spending $200 if possible. Are there any good ones for $100-150?

Most if not all the drywasher in this class are using a leaf blower. I build what I call a Viper-Vac. The link is in my signature below. I use strictly the Echo PB-255 due to its low fuel consumption and is about the quietest blower on the market for a two stroke engine at nearly 400 CFM. The vac's can be used as a blower for your drywasher and then used as a bucket vacuum. You have the best of both worlds, but your going to spend $200.00 for the blower. Either way you should look at a Stihl or a Echo. Stihl has a great reputation for its long life. I use the Echo for its mounted system onto a bucket that no other blower can match. Like any other two stroke motor the key to longevity is running the fuel system dry after every use and not using old fuel mixture that been sitting for a long time. Only mix what you will use.

Viper - Vac's.jpg

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
problem with most leaf blowers is you have to turn them on there side to mount on the lid, and after a couple of season you will begin to smell the gas leaking out.
there is a leaf blower out on the market that sucks air from the bottom rather then from the side of the unit about 70, 80 green backs, don't remember who makes it.
th

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
problem with most leaf blowers is you have to turn them on there side to mount on the lid, and after a couple of season you will begin to smell the gas leaking out.
there is a leaf blower out on the market that sucks air from the bottom rather then from the side of the unit about 70, 80 green backs, don't remember who makes it.

LOL, this is about the most ridiculous reason not to mount the Echo PB-255 on its side. Once the PB-255 is mounted on its side places the fuel fuel tank and cap in a position NOT to leak. Furthermore the fuel pickup tube is weighted placing the the fuel pickup at the bottom of the tank. It also places the pump bulb, the choke, and the pull start on top in a accessible position for the user.

When I went on this mission to build the best Vac / Blower on the market I looked at every leaf blower on the market. The Echo PB -255 and PB-251 fit the bill.

viper1.jpg viper2.jpg

there is a leaf blower out on the market that sucks air from the bottom rather then from the side.

If a person decides to use the blower (2cmorau recommends) in its normal position not mounted to a bucket how is this blower going to work? It sucks from the bottom. So in the field, in the dirt the user could not use this blower as the air intake is against the ground. The Echo PB-255 can still be used around the house once its mounted to the lid/bucket, can be rested in its normal position when using it as a blower for a drywasher or used as I have on my drywasher.

B139.jpg B151.jpg

just bought a Keene 140. Thought their blower pack was real expensive. Need to find a good leaf blower to match it with. Any suggestions? Would like to avoid spending $200 if possible. Are there any good ones for $100-150?

Your free to use whatever you choose. In my thread I have shown the world how to build the Viper-Vac and save yourself some money over every other vac/blower combination. I have given all the links on where to buy the parts and how to assemble the parts.

Keene is now using the Echo PB-255, why? Due to the simplicity of its use and how it mounts and most likely seeing my build that was posted 18 months ago on the original vac I built.

Keene 140.jpg

This is their old model.

Keene.jpg

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
let’s see a cup of water holds water really good when you check the time on your watch LMAO, check you fuel lines dude what level are they at? They all do eventually leak Vac Pac use's EEEEEcho as well just label/logo changed
Vac_Pac_left_side_ezr.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
let’s see a cup of water holds water really good when you check the time on your watch LMAO, check you fuel lines dude what level are they at? They all do eventually leak Vac Pac use's EEEEEcho as well just label/logo changed

The fuel lines may leak but not because of their location, because of being made of some type of plastic that dries out and becomes brittle and cracks. Been there and seen "DUDE"

Nice photo from one of the GPAA shows of an older Backpack model bungee corded to a pack frame.

I suppose this is why Echo and all other blowers offer repair kits for their fuel lines.

Kit 1.jpg Kit 2.jpg

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
right so i am going to shell out 35 bucks for a 10 cent repair for a tube dumb
AZ says "So in the field, in the dirt the user could not use this blower as the air intake is against the ground." your right AZ you got me stumped on that one, cuz they be no rocks in the forest to stack up or tree branches in the desert, great sales pitch, give me a break
I will build my own and have for long time

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vac_Pac_left_side_ezr.jpg

The Vac Pac does not use the Echo PB-255 blower. They use an older style of Echo. For a minute you had US fooled that you went to a GPAA trade show, but here is the same photo along with many others.

GOLD RUSH TRADING POST

right so i am going to shell out 35 bucks for a 10 cent repair for a tube dumb
AZ says "So in the field, in the dirt the user could not use this blower as the air intake is against the ground." your right AZ you got me stumped on that one, cuz they be no rocks in the forest to stack up or tree branches in the desert, great sales pitch, give me a break
I will build my own and have for long time

Your on a roll DUDE. Keep it up and someone may finely fall for your BS. $35 for a kit LMAO? Oh never said you could not find a rock to perch the blower on.

2cmorau, some of us are here to help fellow prospectors / miners build equipment and save some hard earned cash that they can use in the field for years to come. I looked back through your own post you have made and not one post you have offered help on building any equipment. Your knack on posting is for the good of prospectors / miners in informing the members of laws, changes, meetings, court hearings, etc. of which is great. Lighten up, we all are here to help each other, but for whatever reason you have taken this tone in this thread and a few other threads that’s not called for.

Panman,

If your only after a gas blower and you don't need a Vac you may want to look at the Stihl BG55 blower for $149.00 or the Echo PB-250 at $169.00. Another option to look at is the Husqvarna 125B as they have always made quality gas power tools. If I could easily mount the Stihl to a lid I would build the Viper-Vac around this blower, but after looking at the blower it just does not fit the needs in simplicity in mounting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you very talented, but I am not. Building stuff only frustrates me and ends up being a wasted of my time. Just just buy want I need. Great info.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks you very talented, but I am not. Building stuff only frustrates me and ends up being a wasted of my time. Just just buy want I need. Great info.

Good luck with your quest to purchase a blower. Hope you find what your after.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZ , you and many others on this site build fine products, craftsmanship unparallel, I grew up being taught safety and concern for the welfare of my fellow man, a spark and flammable liquids don’t mix, no matter how good we seem with our safety check on equipment , complacency does happen, when I see a concern I speak up
It is good enough for me to see that yu have backpaddle on a couple of my comments
Have a good day, good dirt, full pans

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZ , you and many others on this site build fine products, craftsmanship unparallel, I grew up being taught safety and concern for the welfare of my fellow man, a spark and flammable liquids don’t mix, no matter how good we seem with our safety check on equipment , complacency does happen, when I see a concern I speak up
It is good enough for me to see that yu have backpaddle on a couple of my comments
Have a good day, good dirt, full pans

Its very obvious if one has a fuel leak they address the leak, if this means replacing the fuel lines with a $7 dollar kit so be it. I have yet to find something that does not wear out, repairs are always part of any mechanical device. As you said, "after a couple of season you will begin to smell the gas leaking out" I don't wait a couple of seasons, I check my equipment out each and every time I use it. I really don't like driving a few hours to an area only to have to return to town to make repairs. Glad your looking out for me and others, but I would think most if not all would address and issue prior to it becoming a much larger problem.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its very obvious if one has a fuel leak they address the leak, if this means replacing the fuel lines with a $7 dollar kit so be it. I have yet to find something that does not wear out, repairs are always part of any mechanical device. As you said, "after a couple of season you will begin to smell the gas leaking out" I don't wait a couple of seasons, I check my equipment out each and every time I use it. I really don't like driving a few hours to an area only to have to return to town to make repairs. Glad your looking out for me and others, but I would think most if not all would address and issue prior to it becoming a much larger problem.

You are not fimiliar with California laws, speaks volumes on stupid

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are not fimiliar with California laws, speaks volumes on stupid

I will never step another foot in CA. Cause there is so many members here living in CA I will be nice. No amount of AU would have me live, work, play, or retire to that screwed up state. I think thats says it all...

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i can see now your too emotionaly attached to your blower
AZ is slowly but surely running a close second to Ca

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! I never knew blowers could blow up a thread! Lol! OK, I think Azviper is right on the money with his set up. I don't think I would want to find and stack rocks just to set up. As far as safety goes I see this all the time, someone likes to spout off so they use "safety" as a mechanism to tell others what to do and how to live. I for one am sick of that stuff. If a fuel line was leaking only a idiot would continue to run it instead of fixing it. Fuel is expensive and not ideal to have spilling around fine gold your trying to recover, whether wet or dry...the world is full of drama queens already...

sent from a potato...

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
copycat syndrome, priciple been around as long as the water level
how is that hope and change workin out for you girls

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be my last post on this subject
Do u know why Osha comes up with nonsense like you need to be tied off when ya get above the second run on a ladder
Cuz of guys like you, complacency
I offer up a suggestion and a reason end of f story

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Be my last post on this subject
Do u know why Osha comes up with nonsense like you need to be tied off when ya get above the second run on a ladder
Cuz of guys like you, complacency
I offer up a suggestion and a reason end of f story
Lol!! OSHA! Talk about taking a necessary and reasonable amount of safety and BLOWING it way out of proportion!!! Have a safe day...

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions