All Treasure Hunting

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
putting tape under the riffle just plugs them up. just slow the blower down to 1/2-3/4 speed.

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just bought a keene 140. I'm excited to see it run, but I'm curious as to why they designed the recovery box the way they did! The hopper dumps directly onto the cloth, and behind the last riffle there is no cloth, just 1 1/2" metal area with no holes or cloth before it dumps out of the recovery box. My gold buddy has metal directly under the hopper amd no dead space at the end. Is the dead space at the end supposed to be a nugget trap and will the cloth get damaged by the material dumping directly onto it?

Mike Gibson

Jun 7, 2014
San Diego, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should've bought a Royal. Everybody I know who owns a Keene drywasher has to change the fabric a few times a year with normal use. Sorry this is just my opinion.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
on the drywasher I had and sold awhile back ,I did tape up the underneath side of the holes that are directly under the riffels. the intent is to create a dead space for the fine gold to stop at. this mod worked really good for my DWer. a lot better than NOT having it!

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why does keene say to put tape on the riffels.

maybe keene should just correct the problem while making them and not passing on the problem to the buyer.

any thoughts?

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Under my dry washer directly above the fan there's metal plates with holes in them and about 3/4 the way down. I thought keene was renown for their fine gold recovery! Only reason I didn't buy the royal, was due to my method of payment. Royal wanted me to purchase it on eBay for more money than it would cost to buy a keene. I wanted to listen to viper but finances wouldn't allow it.
What about using Magnet bars on the upper part of the hopper to where 3/4 or more of the hopper are unimpeded by the influence of the magnet bars and obviously capturing those cons. With the holes under recovery box taped, put a piece of plastic on the 1st riffle area to compensate for the design change?

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as stated above by Prospec, no need for tape, reduce wind speed, I have had the same fabric on the 140 since i got it about 14 years, but i do only use it 3 to 4 times a season (my guess operator error), make sure ya have a duster on ya before sliding back, the 140 will capture flour gold, adjust the slope

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Under my dry washer directly above the fan there's metal plates with holes in them and about 3/4 the way down. I thought keene was renown for their fine gold recovery! Only reason I didn't buy the royal, was due to my method of payment. Royal wanted me to purchase it on eBay for more money than it would cost to buy a keene. I wanted to listen to viper but finances wouldn't allow it.
What about using Magnet bars on the upper part of the hopper to where 3/4 or more of the hopper are unimpeded by the influence of the magnet bars and obviously capturing those cons. With the holes under recovery box taped, put a piece of plastic on the 1st riffle area to compensate for the design change?

GoldHound... I am confused as you can buy directly from Royal and not through Ebay. I am looking at Royal's website and I see the link to add to cart then checkout... The reason they are more expensive on Ebay is the fee's charge by Ebay and PayPal. When I bought my DW from Royal I called and asked to pay using PayPal and the gal sent me an invoice through PayPal. When we bought our second Royal we bought it at the Mesa GPAA Gold Show. We got a discount on the Large Royal and I got Robert (Owner) tossed in the hose for free.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small soft sided tape added to the bottom of the L on the riffles is to seal the riffles to prevent blowby if not seated properly. The metal plates are difusers to reduce direct air induction in just that specific spot,spread around the flow for more homegeneous airflows. Forget magnets as just a folly that will corrupt your proper feeds to the hopper. Smooth even flow,should spread out and cover the complete recovery tray. You need the offset elliptical throw vibrations to get that righteous panning action that increases fines retention expotentionally and good to go. Introduced by PESCO in 1982 and still the best system as now a industry standard of excellence in dry recovery systems-John

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 297

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small,medium or HUGE these were the originals that brought forth a new age in fines recovery way back in 1982. Retired and new owners ran biz into the ground by changing tried,true and proven designs and spent a million+ and kaput in less than 2 years. Old school technology still rules-John

Attachments

• PESCO Drywahers.JPG
    PESCO Drywahers.JPG
    873 KB · Views: 510
  • PESCO Commercial Sized.JPG
    PESCO Commercial Sized.JPG
    756.3 KB · Views: 526

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing wrong with technology just got to accept it. Computer 3D modeling allows designs to be perfected before going into the field or market. CNC (Computer Numeric Control) cannot be touch in precision in building items to tight tolerances. Royal Manufacturing builds precise sluice boxes, drywashers, highbankers, etc. due to CNC that can cut, bend, weld, punch, etc.

With the new 3D printing in the next 10 or 20 years will allow the homeowner build anything they like made from plastic or metal. Currently 3D printers are making a working Colt 45 and so many items you can’t even imagine, but like all new technology its expensive but over time the pricing will come down and the speed of these 3D printer will be extremely fast.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The latest edition of Popular Science has the first 3D printed "CAR" :occasion14: patents are worthless now with this great technology. For medical purposes there are 3D screws,plates and bars out of silkworm silk as it biodegrades and no need to open you up to remove nuts,bolts and such. Brave new world-John

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The company I contacted said, I could use pay pall but it would be threw ebay & I'd spend $150-$200 more. He was a royal distributor, so I trusted his input. Has been several months since my purchase & dialog with the gentleman, so I don't recall all the details other than what I've stated. Could be different now

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a question for the veterans out there, what is your opinion on damp dirt through a Keene drywasher. I'm of the opinion that you won't get any gold, my brother thinks that it won't have any effect. What's your opinion? I'm new to this, but I have ten hours on the machine.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike, damp dirt is not good for drywashing, so ya need to dry it out.

Sorry...your bro is wrong...:sadsmiley:

Couple ways you can do that:

1) Lay out some tarps on the ground and spread the dirt out
over them, in the sun. Might take a good, dry day, but it'll sure
take the moisture out.

2) My preference..run the material 2 or 3 times. It cost production
time, but by the 3rd pass it should be dry enough for the small gold
to drop out in the riffles.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I read this to him. He said "well now we know" I said I knew yesterday, now you know fool" he often pulls **** outta his ass, and declares it as fact, and I love proving him wrong!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread