BLM has Proposed closing the Coolgardie Area in Barstow over endangered Plant Life

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BLM has posted a notice in November 2014 that they plan to close the Coolgardie area near Barstow, CA to mining by 2016 due to an endangered plant. Coolgardie has been a popular place with mining clubs. Please write to newly elected Congressman Steve Knight, who is California's 25th Congressional District Congressman. The Coolgardie area is in his district. Since the BLM is federal I don't know if the State assemblymen or State Senators would have any pull when dealing with the BLM.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SONS A Bsssssssssssssssssssss close this... shut that and that lousy plant is jus' bs excuse to close so they sit in their air conditioned offices,on their ever expanding anus and do nuttn' for big bucks...sic sic sic sic...John

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You ever notice they don't tend to close areas that get little use?
Jim

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold clubs should seek out some logical allies with the rockhounds, 4x4 and dirt bike orgs. Power in numbers.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's wrong with saving an endangered plant? I always thought of nature users as nature lovers.

Absolutely Nothing, if done using common sense. Don't you folks ever ask yourselfs if the methodology of what is being done makes any sense? Or why and how what they plan to implement would help? As a fellow nature lover I can assure you removing me from the land will not help this plant one bit. In fact just the opposite, as we remove the people from nature we are creating a more uncaring, indifferent, and ignorant view of and towards it. A better approach would be to involve the user groups and have them share the responsibility for its care. Precluding our use will not fix anything. Educate people what the plant, animal or special environmental need is and how to co-exist with it. Contrary to popular believe most of us do care a great deal about this land and the care of it. Simply put removing us from our land its a piss poor excuse for not performing the tasks of the job you where intrusted to do- period.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems like they always come up with something new to include as endangered , slit toed lizards , snakes , owl's , tortoises , they always find some thing .
But hay ! It's public lands and we all have a right to enjoy the areas ! RIGHT ! I sent an E mail tho the main person in Carson city on his web sight asking where's the public in public lands . The decision are not made by the people it's made by BLM personnel , leaving out the people that are said to actually own the land . As you know it , NO Response .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they do that, I will buy a bunch of those plants online, and feed a goat nothing but that particular plant. That way, the goat will develop a taste for it. Then I will release the goat into the area they close. The goat will eat all the plants, and they can't keep it closed any longer! DONE!

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct. It is the Milk-Vetch. There are several varieties that can even be bought online for my "Goat Deforestation Project" HAHAHA

Mike

mfb99

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell from the map of the proposed area, only a small portion impacts the Coolgardie mining area.

Perhaps with continued letter and phone calls to our representatives and the BLM, a compromise can be reached that will exempt that portion of the mining area.

Also, don't forget to support PLP.

Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions