Keene, Royal, Gold Buddy or.......

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The unit I use is a recently released 12V puffer made by Whippet Engineering. Including the battery and backpack, it weighs 15 lbs. So far, I've used it mainly for sampling places that people really can't get to with larger, heavier units and have been having success. Lots of Kevlar, carbon fiber, and CNC aluminum are used to achieve that weight, so as you would expect, it's not cheap. However, at the rate I'm going, it will pay for itself by the end of the year.

Goldrabbit

Dec 2, 2014
Los angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, thanks for info to my question I will try the mods and go from there. I will post any new findings.

Thanks again

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked out their website for this Whippet, but it says "sold out" and I have not gotten a reply to my email inquiry.
I've been looking at the Thompson 12V puffer as well.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got 2 Thompsons, great machines for either sampling or moderate production and will attach to a pack frame no problem. I think I paid $550/each, now considering a Keene 12v puffer as more of a fixed location machine(they weigh a lot more) and jair says it moves more dirt than the Thompson......Tough to have it all but I'm trying, good thing the o'l lady has no interest in whats in the sheds out back.

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Hamfist has the best machine out there. Like G-bone, I tried to order a Whippet with no luck. I hope he has not gone out of business as it was an incredible accomplishment to design and bring that thing to market. The talent, time, and investment dollars must have been huge.

Another innovative drywasher is the Mad Mining drywasher, as pointed out by blindpig in a thread just above this one. The Mad Mining web page does not show it for sale, and indicates to me that they are not real serious about selling stuff.

Remember to put any good ideas for powering homebuilts on my thread 12 VDC MOTOR HELP, just above.

Thurman

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whippet Engineering is still in business. I touch base with the owner every now and then and, last we spoke, which was recently, he had just received a bunch of new tooling and cutting machines so they can build these a lot faster. They are making almost no profit on them right now so they're trying to increase their production efficiency.

They will definitely have more in stock at some point.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2015
California Desert
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whippet Engineering is alive and well.

We have just completed another unit and it is up for sale on the Shopsite store.

Even with the new production equipment we are adding, building these drywashers is quite labor intensive. The longest "pole" in the tent is fabricating the composite parts. It takes 10 days to layup, post-cure, trim and polyurethane coat the eight parts that go into a Whippet Drywasher.

There are ways to reduce this build time by using pre-preg Kevlar and Carbon Fiber, but right now the cost is prohibitive.

Currently our lead time is about 4 weeks. We try and always have a drywasher in stock, but that is not always possible.

I apologize if you were trying to purchase a drywasher, but were unable to do so.

If you do order a Whippet Drywasher, please mention that you heard about us on Treasurenet and I will include either a Apex Talon pick, or a Battery Charger free with the unit.

Best Regards,

Whippet Engineering LLC
Whippet Engineering LLC - Home

Whippet Drywasher Gold Prospector Ad version 5.png

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a big Keene 151 and sure wish I had this instead :) (same price roughly)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have some protection of the electric motor to prevent it from attracting magnetite to it resulting in destructive friction?

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keene 140 is great. Light, easy to set up. Get a big duffel bag at the military store and you can put everything inside it. Zip it up and grab the handles and go. They all work well it not the equipment, its the ground that makes the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread