Keene, Royal, Gold Buddy or.......

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the past several years I've been using the Royals and have for the most part been very pleased with their operation and recovery. I have the small and medium size models and have found that they are very well built yet reasonably lite weight(small and med models) , suitable for packing in, adjustable sturdy leg supports and flow/ feed adjustments adequate. These machines would be almost perfect EXCEPT the lack a independent removable riffle tray which would make clean outs way easier.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The godl buddy has the removable riffle tray, and by removing it, turning it backwards and tapping it, you can see if you have any color very easily. The medium size machine's riffle tray fits in a 5 gallon bucket to tap out your concentrates.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friend had a Gold Buddy and it recovered good gold but it eventually started to shake itself apart (he replaced it with a Keene) It sure would be nice if my Royal had the same removable tray as the Gold Buddy.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Keene 151 which I really like. The only challenge is that it's big and a lot to haul to your work site if you have a hike in situation (which I do). I use a hand cart and bring a buddy both of which help a lot! The up side is that it eats material fast so even 4 guys can share it...either running a common op or just taking a moment to dump the riffle tray between each person's runs. The removable riffle tray is quick and easy to dump and replace - last time I was out we emptied it 7 times thru the day!

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a 12 volt Keene puffer and like it very much --- no 2 cycle noise to draw attention.
I have made a few-- one 2 cycle and two hand op ones.
Here's a pic of my Keene and how I transport it.
cart.jpg

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the old faithfull handcrank keene, it will set for a year or two out side collecting dust and will always start first crank, i dont buff out to many big piles, mostly i use for sniping.
It will handle throwing rocks the size of softballs all day, day in day out and have very little in the way of breakdowns worse thing that could happen stick finger through the riffle cloth, dob of silicone or piece of masking tape will fix.

I am currently trying to destroy my second one, the first just needs a rebuild ready for another 20 years, the newer model is better built with heavier wear parts, my old one black ABS type, we had to carry extra rod bolts they were small diameter and broke fast. other than that it still a good machine.

I own the 151, its more trouble than its worth, always breaking wear parts, its good for big placer runs where your getting pay, i dont like it just to much to carry and it needs assemble at each site, just a lot to do, more parts to loose. it is a good machine just carry a tool kit, Miner Approved.

The small hand crank you can leave assembled from day one, fits in most front seats, can be carried by one person, and is ready to go the minute you get to the site.
no vibrating parts to loose, is easy to chk riffle tray just lift the hopper all the way get your straw light puff the gold will be right on one the top 3 riffles.
Miner Approved.

The rest of the brands i no nothing about so theres my take on drywashers.

Now go find the good grounds get those little suckers working.

GT...........

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold tramp, can you share more about wear parts breaking on the 151? I haven't had that problem yet but I want to be prepared of course :)

Goldrabbit

Dec 2, 2014
Los angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have built my own but for some reason the puff isn't strong enough to push the dirt over the riffle bars any idea. I have a 12v motorcycle battery and a 12v motor but not sure if that's enough, any suggestions

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 151 and just got the new 140s. Got the 140 for the portability and small pan sized cleanout. 1 person can feed the 140 non stop til they pass out. 2 people is fine. Whole cleanout fits in a 14" pan.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I have built my own but for some reason the puff isn't strong enough to push the dirt over the riffle bars any idea. I have a 12v motorcycle battery and a 12v motor but not sure if that's enough, any suggestions
Do you have a picture of it you can post?
The angle is important I set mine at 28 degrees.
Is the air leaking out somewhere?
How far apart are you riffles?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 151 and just got the new 140s. Got the 140 for the portability and small pan sized cleanout. 1 person can feed the 140 non stop til they pass out. 2 people is fine. Whole cleanout fits in a 14" pan.

Wish I had this instead of the 151 but my 151 was free so I can't complain too much!

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wish I had this instead of the 151 but my 151 was free so I can't complain too much!
I hear ya man... you got a great deal lol! can't beat free. I got the 140s a few weeks ago cause i usually work by myself or with my dad. The 151 cleanout is so massive compared to the 140 and takes me at least twice as long to go through. ill bring the 151 out when i have 3 or more people who can shovel their hearts out. both great machines but if i bought the 140 first i don't know if i would have gotten a 151. Other benefit of the 140 combo is the new 4 stroke dolmar blower and doubles as an awesome vac.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There may be large areas of your muslin that are not covered by feed material when running so the air just blows through those uncovered gaps as it is the path of least resistance and thus the blower doesn't effect the other material much or at all. Try lessening the slope, or some other adjustment/modification so that these areas stay covered to some extent while operating and try again. If it still doesn't work then your blower may not be supplying enough air. Some vibration may be needed too to encourage the material to spread out and cover the washer.
Good luck.

Last edited:

magooone2

Dec 19, 2013
Pueblo, Co.
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro
gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this forum but I absolutely love dry washing so I wanted to put my two cents worth. I use a Arizona gold dry washer and love it. Its light weight so easy to pack, sets up very easy and finds gold just as they all do. It just happens my brother met Brett the owner designer years ago on one of his trips to Arizona so he suggested I buy one of these beings he had met the guy and seem to know what he was talking about when it came to dry washing. Beings I didn't know anything at the time I bought it and haven't been sorry. Its not a big machine but just right for one old guy.

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to this forum but I absolutely love dry washing so I wanted to put my two cents worth. I use a Arizona gold dry washer and love it. Its light weight so easy to pack, sets up very easy and finds gold just as they all do. It just happens my brother met Brett the owner designer years ago on one of his trips to Arizona so he suggested I buy one of these beings he had met the guy and seem to know what he was talking about when it came to dry washing. Beings I didn't know anything at the time I bought it and haven't been sorry. Its not a big machine but just right for one old guy.
Where do you get that one? I just did a Google search and didn't see anything for "Arizona gold dry washer" as a product. Thanks!

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see comments about the Royal and it being difficult to clean out, and I don't understand. I have the medium Royal and can clean it out in less than a minute. I put a goldpan or plastic tub under the riffle tray, unhook the chain so the riffle tray drops into the tub, unlatch the riffle assembly and slowly lift. The material easily slides out into the tub or goldpan. Tap a few times to get the dust out and reassemble. Seems pretty easy to me.

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fm45,

try the phone number for a "Bret", at this link,

http://www.azdesertgold.com/

I think it is the same person.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks - I called him. He no longer manufactures that product and has no plans to restart.

I see comments about the Royal and it being difficult to clean out, and I don't understand. I have the medium Royal and can clean it out in less than a minute. I put a goldpan or plastic tub under the riffle tray, unhook the chain so the riffle tray drops into the tub, unlatch the riffle assembly and slowly lift. The material easily slides out into the tub or goldpan. Tap a few times to get the dust out and reassemble. Seems pretty easy to me.

Yes, I have watched several videos on YouTube of the Royal and it looks very easy to clean. Setup seems pretty straightforward, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions