Journey with the 15 lb Whippet Drywasher - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Journey with the 15 lb Whippet Drywasher

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Owner/Engineer

Jan 2015
    California Desert
    42 times
    Prospecting
    I thought it might be fun to look at some numbers.

Though I did not like math much in college and I almost flunked Calculus, sometimes numbers can be useful. This is especially true when some capabilities are described by verbiage such as my battery will last all day, or the weight of my packed system is pretty close.

Lets take a closer look...

An "all day battery" is really more like a 12 AH battery. They weigh around 8 lbs. A typical 2 amp drywasher motor draws that battery down in six hours. If it is lead-acid, the last portion of the use at a reduced motor RPM. When you are done, you are done no more juice.

The Whippet Drywasher uses a 6.4 AH battery. It weighs 2 lbs. Our motor draws less than 2 amps and will go down in about 3 hours. Since it is Lithium Iron Phospahte, it will work strong right till the end. With our 2 lb solar charger, you can top this battery off at lunch and use it all day. You will be able to use it the next day and the next day too.

OK, that covers the battery, now lets take a look at the weight...

Whippet Drywasher less than 12 lbs - Metal drywasher 22 lbs
    Whippet battery, 2 lbs - Lead Acid battery, 4-8 lbs, we will use 8 because of the "all day"
    Solar Charger, 2 lbs, No comparison
    Whippet pack, 1 lb - Pack frame for metal drywasher, lets use the military Alice which is 3 lbs
    Our Shovel, 2 lbs - Typical shovel of same size, 4 - 6 lbs, lets use 4 lb
    Lightweight pick, 2 lbs - Lightweight pick 2 lbs.
    Fabric Concentrates bag, 2 oz - Plastic bucket 1.5lbs
    Water and Water bag, 4.5 lbs - Water and plastic container 4.5 lbs
    Food, 1 lb - food 1 lb

OK, lets do the math....

Whippet Drywasher total weight 23.6 lbs - Metal Drywasher, 46 lbs

As one of my statistic professors said, "Trust in God, all others bring data"

So without using verbiage like pretty close or all day or what every, we just look at the numbers. These are the numbers.

It seems like this thread went down the line of comparison to a particular other drywasher. That was never my intention, especially since I like that other drywasher and the person who makes it. What I ask is that if a person chooses to make that comparison, let them make it themselves without bias and without trying to influence another. For some the weight is paramount, like the guy I sold a drywasher to who has a bad back and was so grateful that he was going to be able to get out there again. For others, cost may be the most important thing and in that case I usually recommend that other metal drywasher without hesitation.

Ouch, my head hurts from doing that math....

Regards,

Whippet Engineering LLC
    Whippet Engineering LLC - Home
    fatman45, bobw53, Rockwerx and 4 others like this.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    396 times
    Prospecting
    Adventure!

I adventured so hard this morning that I got my truck stuck for almost an hour. Thankfully I had every digging tool I could possibly need, but I was pretty spent afterward.

I ran 20 buckets through the Whippet at my first spot, sampled at a second spot, then started the ascent to a third spot way up a hill. I did some detecting on the way up, with the drywasher on my back, and got a bit carried away so there wasn't enough time so set up and run dirt. Had to be out of there by noon.

Here's what I got with the Whippet this morning. It's hard to convey how steep it was in the photo and I don't really want to show my precise location. Even as light as this thing is, I don't see myself making that climb during the heat of the summer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428891088.337956.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	1146110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428891122.602669.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	1146111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428891140.678795.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1146112
    fatman45, G-bone and Aufisher like this.

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    144 times
    Prospecting
    Really like your drywashers. Definitely taken them to the next level.

Like your companion as well. My crew is one size smaller. Italian Greyhounds.

Four were ours and babysitting two of our puppies. Two are gone now, and two getting up in the years. Very loving dogs!

Joanne

Mine Exploring in the Wild West

Project Desert Dawg Teardrop Trailer Build
    bobw53 and Aufisher like this.

us
    Owner/Engineer

Jan 2015
    California Desert
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Joanne

That is one good looking pack of IG's !!!

They must be a lot of fun to take prospecting with you. Dusty, my Whippet loves it when we go out looking for the shiny stuff.

The funny thing about taking a dog prospecting, is they seem to understand that you are doing something important by digging up that ground.

I always crack up when Dusty starts digging the same location as I am.

Now if we could just get our dogs to smell out the gold.....

Cheers

Mark
    Owner/Engineer
    Whippet Engineering LLC
    Whippet Engineering LLC - Home
    Rockwerx, utah mason and Aufisher like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10620 times
    Prospecting
    I'm so excited to get my new Whippet drywasher in a few weeks!!
    dsrtdwg1, arizau, G-bone and 3 others like this.

us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    ,Minelab Equinox 800, GGT Sluice, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    243 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congrats on your soon to arrive Whippet. Those things look cool and VERY WELL ENGINEERED! 21st. century prospecting equipment.
    KevinInColorado and Aufisher like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2988 times
    Prospecting

Note to myself: Why didn't I think of that as a retirement present to myself?
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Gbonus Uralias

Dec 2014
    Ventura Ca
    Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil. Minelab Xterra 705, Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30"). Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats. Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
    942 times
    Congratulations on getting a whippet Mr. Kevin.
    Looking forward to reading about your experiences with it.

I'm really excited to get out there with my newly acquired unit.

G

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10620 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post

Note to myself: Why didn't I think of that as a retirement present to myself?
    The amazing part is that it's my retirement present from the office! My boss is the best!!

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    396 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    I'm so excited to get my new Whippet drywasher in a few weeks!!
    Woohooo! I love mine! It's amazing how something so light can be so rugged. Congrats on the new machine!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10620 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    Woohooo! I love mine! It's amazing how something so light can be so rugged. Congrats on the new machine!
    Great to hear. Any tips on how to best run it or maintain it? Any recommendations on accessories to get or skip?
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    396 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Great to hear. Any tips on how to best run it or maintain it? Any recommendations on accessories to get or skip?
    As far as maintenance goes, there isn't much. The spring lock buttons accumulate dust and dirt after a while so they need to be lubed occasionally to operate smoothly. I believe it comes with lubricant and this is mentioned in the owners manual. I like to use small bungee cords to secure the battery because I always end up picking the whole thing up and moving it at some point and the battery will fall out and stress/snap the connectors on the harness. They come with a Velcro retention system now, but I haven't used it without bungees yet. I bought the first Whippet and Mark has been gracious enough to send me parts for any revisions he has made throughout the year.

I have been running the riffle tray as flat as I can lately since the ground always seems to be more damp than I'd like. I also keep the gate under the hopper open just enough to keep it flowing without clogging. I also like to "prime" the riffle tray before running material. Basically, have some sand or something covering the screen before you turn it on.

Accessories I consider essential are the solar charger, wall charger, lightweight shovel, and cons bag. I got 2-3 hours of run time out of my Gold Cube in the field last Sunday, using that solar charger in bright sun, without stressing that <2 lb battery. I do have the Burpee pick too. It's very light. If I'm hiking far, it goes with me. The cargo bags look like something I would use all the time, but I don't own them yet.

If you have any other questions, let me know! It's been too wet to drywash here lately so I may be forgetting some things. I can't say enough good things about Mark, the owner/designer/builder. He has helped me in all areas of prospecting and I now consider him a mentor and a friend.
    Last edited by Hamfist; Jan 21, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
    Aufisher and KevinInColorado like this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10620 times
    Prospecting
    This is really great info, thanks so much!
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    396 times
    Prospecting
    No problem!
    Aufisher and KevinInColorado like this.

Sep 2013
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Prospector View Post
    Looks like a great little machine but the price..............Ouch!
    Agree $1,350 plus shipping ouch! Can get a Keene 151 for $1,500 and it will process a lot more dirt. Can't really lug it down a cliff though, but who wants to do that anyway?
    Aufisher likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links